RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Snow Mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green
Snow Mode

Today I found it was necessary to switch to the snow mode. I was very pleased with the way my RRS handled. With that said, the vehicle felt "heavy" with much less immediate response. Can someone explain in lay terms what is happening in this mode?

Thanks in advance

Post #149121 Thu Dec 20 2007 1:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

This is an excerpt from a Terrain Response presentation by LR at an All-Wheel Drive Congress in 2005:

Quote:
6.2 Grass-Gravel-Snow
In this setting the individual systems revert to control software which optimizes the sub-system, and thus the vehicle traction, handling and driveability, for low traction conditions. When driving on ice or wet grass it is particularly important to avoid wheel spin when driving off, because any wheel spin will change the surface, and reduce traction below the original low level.
The Program was specifically tested under low traction conditions in Northern Sweden, both on frozen lakes as well as on inclines. Particular emphasis in this Program is on modifying the powertrain torque delivery and avoiding wheel spin, by applying torque to the wheels gradually and by sensitizing the traction systems. In addition to Northern Sweden this program was also tested on gravel surfaces in both the UK and Belgium and on grass.

That's why your vehicle feels stuck-in-molasses heavy in this TR mode, as the system tries as hard as it can to avoid the slightest wheel spin. Wanna feel light as a feather? You should try Sand mode. Wink 

Post #149123 Thu Dec 20 2007 6:33am
DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green

umbertob,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That certainly explains what I experienced, I owe you...

Davis

Post #149124 Thu Dec 20 2007 8:13am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1