RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > The MOT and LED lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
The MOT and LED lights

My Defender has just been MOT'd and there is an interesting story about the lights. I asked the garage who rebuilt the car for me to replace the normal sidelights, brakelights and indicators with RoverAntics LED replacements which are CE marked and designed for Defenders. They put the wagon in for MOT after the rebuild but left the old lights on. A few days later, after putting the LED lights on the guy who runs the garage was giving my 90 a run up to the MOT centre for soemthing else and the tester who did my car spotted straight away that it had different lighting on it from the day he tested it. The tester told the mechanic that if it had been presented for test with the LED lights on it then I would have had a failure.................................. So the garage has made some inquiries at other test centres and all have said that they cannot see a problem of the car having LED lights, after-all most trucks and buses have them now and many BMW's, Audi's Aston martins, Jaguars, Ford's etc have them as standard, will they also fail an MOT in 2-3 years time??
Why did the first guy get so worked up about LED lights on a 1996 Defender 90?

Can anybody help on this one please? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #141926 Wed Oct 17 2007 1:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

My new audi has rear LED btake lights etc. I also sold my RRS with led side repeater bulbs left in - They are legal as far as I am aware. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #141928 Wed Oct 17 2007 1:25pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

If a lamp is has an CE marking (on vehicle components it is usually an e mark) then it conforms to a certain set of standards for, in this instance, vehicle lighting.

CE/e marked lamps are legal to fit to legals as they comply with the UK vehicle construction and use regs.

New vehicles with LED lamps are type approved with these lights (and they are e marked) so they're legal. Just because these are legal doesn't mean all LED lights are legal Wink

The first tester was probably getting touchy as many LED "bulbs" are not e marked and so are technically illegal to fit to a road vehicle, he's probably assuming that they are all illegal Rolling Eyes

There are LED versions of the NAS lights I've got fitted to my Defender available, which are fitted to a lot of buses and delivery vans (Tescos seem to use them on their Merc Sprinters) and these are also e marked. Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #141935 Wed Oct 17 2007 2:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

Cheers Martin, I'll have to reconfirm with RoverAntics that their River Runners series of Defender lights are legit then! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #141937 Wed Oct 17 2007 2:14pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

They should be visibly marked on the lens/body with an e mark or CE marking if they are Smile Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #141953 Wed Oct 17 2007 4:05pm
Tim in Scotland

No visible E mark on them.................................... and nothing in the packaging so I'll have to contact the suppliers and find out. Martin, where did you get your lights from please? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #141990 Wed Oct 17 2007 10:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1