RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > [FAQ] WARNING - DOES YOUR FRONT SUSPENSION KNOCK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 32 <123 ... 8910 ... 303132>

will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Peter wrote:
will_wonka wrote:
Peter wrote:

We talk of collective action but how many of us are actually prepared to do something about it?

Is that you offering to take the lead Peter Question Thumbs Up

I will be talking (again) to LR this week as mine is knocking again but only needs repairs for the third time!
It will depend largely on what happens when I discuss it with them as to what action I take.

Maybe a poll here would determine if I charge boldly ahead with the Warriors behind me or turn around to find I am alone!

A 17 page guide issued by LR is about restorative rather than preventative action which is what I believe we are seeking.

I will also discuss the 21.7 mpg (TDV6) I have been getting since they "repaired" the brakes in January! BTW, they have squealed ever since when crawling along in traffic too

If there is one place for support, it is surely here Thumbs Up If you fancy a trip to Solihull and need to round up troops - count me in, after all we are only seeking a solution to an issue that NO dealer can seem to resolve and put simply, that just ain't cricket for a premium car. Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #173586 Fri Jun 20 2008 1:03am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Peter wrote:
I'll send the flight tickets over then - seems like a good start! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I haven't been back to the UK this year yet which makes a change! So if you're flying my RRS with me then I'm in! Thumbs Up Cool @ 2.7 tons it may need an Antanov or similar.. that weight obvioulsy doesn't include me or my luis Vuitton luggage set Whistle

Seriously though.. If you can get at least 20 cars, then @ ~GBP50k each thats a million squid of luxury metal, and that is what I believe will draw the major media to cover it: TV, radio and print...but the more RRS's you can get the better!! Make it one big fun gathering for the owners, but with an overriding serious message/protest to LR!!!!

Post #173589 Fri Jun 20 2008 3:37am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Car been in for a few days for the mother of all rectifications, a new ARC unit Shocked Shocked

Result as of this evening - no different Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Last ditch hope is a software update that was not applied due to time limitations.......god love em Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #179186 Wed Jul 23 2008 12:51am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

OK, opinion needed.

Considering the 00's of posts on this subject now and the fact that I have had a brand new ARC unit on the vehicle and it still knocks.......................would it be a good assumption that the ARC unit is, after all, not to blame for these noises.

I say this as every conceivable thing has been done and after speaking to many people who also have the ARC unit WITHOUT issues, it surely now points to something else Question

As I toodled up my driveway this morning, I listened hard and to my ears the noise is more gas struts and dampers............I am now convinced that this is the new answer to all my woes............thoughts anyone? Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #180248 Mon Jul 28 2008 12:45pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Ball joint Idea

I had knocking which turned out be a lower FNS ball joint mixed in with duff AR Bushes. Incredible on a brand new car.......but still all quiet now Bow down TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #180283 Mon Jul 28 2008 2:12pm
Leo

Kenya 

Will_wonka: by ARC, I assume you mean the Dynamic Response system?

Did they use the old bushes etc or change those as well? Or it could be the ball joints as Josh says.

Post #180286 Mon Jul 28 2008 2:35pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Leo wrote:
Will_wonka: by ARC, I assume you mean the Dynamic Response system?

Did they use the old bushes etc or change those as well? Or it could be the ball joints as Josh says.

They used new components for the ARC (Dyn Res) inc bushes etc. I think they have changed the bushes 5 times now.....which is completely pointless....but you have to be seen in doing something. Big Cry

Ball joints.....its worth a go chaps.......what have I got to loose.....apart from my patience !! Rolling Eyes

In fact - QUESTION FOR JAMES AT CHLR

How many knockety knock RRS's have you had in (on average) and how many have you fixed (if any). Would be interested in your curing ratio and methods considering the ridiculous situation I am now in........with the options running out FAST !!

If you would rather PM - please do. L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #180340 Mon Jul 28 2008 4:40pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Remembering that I came from a TDV6 with the DR fitted. When I first complained about the TDV8 would only have been after about 2K.......

I was initially fobbed off with "the characteristic noise story associated to the DR"..........

but after some perserverence and reminding them that I was an experienced previous owner and having the Service Manager drive the vehicle with me present and a few trial and error parts we finally got there.
Having cured the front knock I then could hear the back knock Rolling Eyes So the rear bushes were replaced and it was silent.

When you consider that all these large suspension components come pre built from probably an outside supplier and they are untested until it's all slotted together........it's no wonder that a few components/assemblies aren't up to the job. It's not like the olde days when every piece was bolted together from a big rack of parts with the torque checked.

If it helps I used Stratstones at Newport Pagnell. Perhaps they could communicate with each other Rolling Eyes Question
I definately think it is worth them checking the lower ball joints Exclamation Make sure that the 4 wheel alignment is done after any suspension work Exclamation TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #180355 Mon Jul 28 2008 5:52pm
chris

Germany 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Josh:
but how about the knocking noise when you take out the fuse for the dynamic response system. ?

If I am taking out the fuse everything is quiet Evil or Very Mad

So I think it makes no sense to change the anti roll bar, bushes, ball joints, etc.
What do you think.

And have you read the info about the 3rd generation of the Dynamic response system from Delphi. ---------------------------------------------------------
RRS TDV8 MY 08.05 java black / alpaca

Post #180383 Mon Jul 28 2008 8:58pm
chris

Germany 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

PARIS--(Marketwire - July 23, 2008) - A new Active Stabiliser Bar System (ASBS) -- that delivers better steering feel, improved vehicle dynamics, superior comfort and greater tuning capability compared with today's technologies -- is being developed by Delphi Corp. (PINKSHEETS: DPHIQ). The system is the first to provide continuous across-centre control and is 60 percent lighter and around 65 percent more compact than the previous generation system, making it the world's most advanced roll-control technology.

Delphi was first to market with an Active Stabiliser Bar System in 1999 and has subsequently developed both linear and rotary systems for a range of applications. In 2005, Delphi's second generation system was launched on the Range Rover Sport, contributing to its world-class combination of handling, comfort and off-road ability. The unique ball screw rotary actuator technology provides the highest angular articulation of any system currently in production and is also the most efficient, converting around 95 percent of pump energy into hydraulic pressure compared with around 65 - 85 percent for competitor systems.

"The new system keeps Delphi comfortably ahead of the competition," comments development manager Olivier Raynauld. "Generation 3 ASBS provides best-in-class performance by any measure and has helped us win some very exciting development programmes across a range of vehicle types."

A traditional stabiliser bar improves vehicle stability through corners by reducing roll angle and managing the tyre to road interface. High performance vehicles and heavy vehicles with a high centre of gravity typically require stiff, large diameter stabiliser bars but these will substantially reduce ride comfort and refinement and can also reduce traction in some conditions. Traditional stabiliser bars also restrict wheel travel, decreasing off-road performance for SUVs, and can create an effect known as 'head toss' that can be particularly uncomfortable in vehicles where the occupants are seated high.

Delphi's ASBS technology splits the stabiliser bar in the middle, allowing a computer-controlled actuator to apply a variable level of torque to each end. When the vehicle is travelling in a straight line, the system effectively de-couples the stabiliser bars from the vehicle, substantially improving ride comfort and allowing up to 88 degrees of free stabiliser bar rotation for greater wheel articulation. In a corner, anti roll torque is instantly applied and can be optimised for any driving condition in just 20ms.

The key innovation that gives the third generation technology its additional dynamic and refinement benefits is a new hydraulic control system. Contemporary systems use a directional control valve to reverse the hydraulic pressure and hence the force applied to the roll bars. This gives poor steering feel around centre, with limited control authority when travelling in a straight line and can also generate significant noise.

Delphi's patented continuous pressure control system solves these issues by eliminating the need to switch the direction in which pressure is applied and by maintaining a constant small on-centre pressure to improve steering feel and response. Switching noise is eliminated and two channel control allows component sharing front-to-rear and the integration of different control calibrations for comfort and sport modes. Because it is truly active (i.e., it can apply force to the suspension), the system can also be used to tune roll damping. The high efficiency of the system further reduces noise and allows a proven pump to be used with a small reservoir and low-cost, easily routed hoses.

"With Generation 3, we can tune the steering feel and dynamic behaviour via the roll-control system and change the response as vehicle speed increases," adds Raynauld. "For example, we can provide oversteer at low speeds to give sharp, agile handling in towns, with subtle levels of understeer at high speeds to increase safety and provide a feeling of sure-footed security for the driver."

"No one else is offering on-centre pressure control," continues Raynauld. "It's a significant breakthrough that we are very proud of. Customers who have analysed the Delphi system tell us that it is clearly the best available."

Other innovations throughout the system, including new techniques for attaching the roll bars to the actuators, substantially reduce size and mass and mean that Delphi is able to deliver the system at an extremely competitive price. Delphi expects to enter production with a linear actuator system in 2011 and with a rotary actuator system in 2012, both for European customers.

Delphi's portfolio of ASBS technologies includes systems suitable for most classes of vehicle. The company also supplies a wide range of other chassis control technologies including electronic stability systems, variable damping control systems and antilock braking systems.

For more information about Delphi, visit the Virtual Press Room is at www.delphi.com/media ---------------------------------------------------------
RRS TDV8 MY 08.05 java black / alpaca

Post #180384 Mon Jul 28 2008 8:59pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

chris wrote:

And have you read the info about the 3rd generation of the Dynamic response system from Delphi.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post179476.html#179476 Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #180395 Tue Jul 29 2008 12:50am
Josh

United Kingdom 

chris wrote:
Josh:
but how about the knocking noise when you take out the fuse for the dynamic response system. ?

If I am taking out the fuse everything is quiet Evil or Very Mad

So I think it makes no sense to change the anti roll bar, bushes, ball joints, etc.
What do you think.

And have you read the info about the 3rd generation of the Dynamic response system from Delphi.

Chris,

Clearly yours is the DR. And from your second post it looks like there is a solution for a future RRS in the pipe line. But I bet it appears on the FFRR in 2010 first.

My noise didn't disappear with the fuse pulled out. So if that is the case then I do think it is worth exploring ball joints and bushes. Even on a brand new car. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #180563 Wed Jul 30 2008 11:56am
Japseroony

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Count me in on any visit to LR HQ as this is a problem that wont go away Exclamation Exclamation "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #180793 Thu Jul 31 2008 12:00pm
AustenRRSSC

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

When I bought my S/C(a 55 plate) it was bought from a local independant dealer with no ties to L/Rover, I pointed out the knocking noise which was happening when I went over speed humps etc and they replaced a anti-roll bar link bush and the link.
Since that was done Iv not had any problems with knocking!
But had to book the S/C into the Aberdeen dealer cos the muppets at the first garage damaged one of my alloys and are now denying that it was damaged whilst in their care!!!
Also the belt that they alledgedly adjusted is still squealing and the scratched paintwork on the boot lid that"all RRSs have" was painted and the glass lid is rubbing on the boot lid!!! Hopefully the stealers will be able to fix things Laughing Laughing Wont hold my breath...................................!!

Post #181337 Tue Aug 05 2008 10:57am
Steve in germany

Germany 

On my way to drop my daughter to school, I heard this faint clanking from the front end, turned the stereo and climate off so I could get a good listen to it. Slowed down and made some quick short left and right turns on the wheel, like you do when your testing for play in the steering or bearings, and sure enough there it was, F Censored ing B Censored ks. 11,000 miles no problems. So, straight into my local LR and he said, " Oh yes, we did one last month, I'll just go and get the TB." As you can imagine I was a little taken back by his response because I was expecting the scratch of the head and for me to evidence the problem in so many other vehicles. He came pack with the TB and a fix including a list of parts that he would have to order. They just rang me 5 mins ago to say the parts will be here on Monday could I bring the car in then. I also asked about a loan car, he said, "But of course" Well I'm f Censored ing speechless, it is clear LR are totaly aware of this problem. I'm just not sure why some dealers seem to be on the ball and others have their heads up their arses. Hopefully when I collect on Tuesday the Knocking clanging noise will be gone........to be continued Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #186968 Fri Sep 05 2008 12:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 32 <123 ... 8910 ... 303132>