Home > General > 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.2 Supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
2005 Range Rover Sport 4.2 Supercharged

Hi all.
This is my first post on this forum.
We have owned Range rovers for possibly 35 + years now, from a 3.5 Manual Carb Classic through 3.9 Injection, P38, full fat 4.4 Petrol (L322 for 14 years)

The fatty had come to the end of its life and we purchased a 2005 RRS 4.2 Supercharged two weeks ago from a trader in Swindon. We couldnt get an AA/RAC inspection as the car was over 10 years old, although the MOT is valid until October this year.

The brakes on the car were spongy to say the least, so the trader agreed to get the brakes sorted, plus refurbish the alloys for us.
The car was delivered to us 5 or 6 days later and looked to be OK.
I drove it to work the following day (its ostensibly my wifes car as we have dogs etc) and I noticed a vibration under braking, but the engine and gearbox were great, loads of power!

Anyway, last week we had it looked over by our local mechanic who has serviced our cars for years now, and he found a host of issues with it, such as:

Active Roll bar unit very badly corroded (which I understand is a body-off job to fix)
All brake lines corrode
The brake line that was fixed is leaking
Warped front discs (Brembo 4 pot)
Both diffs leaking oil
Transmission fluid black
Prop Shaft centre bearing worn & loose
Suspension bushes worn
3 Tyres worn
162K miles

Apart from that it is a nice looking car!

It has:
Black bodywork plus black interior trim panels
Cream Leather
Harmon-Kardon Logic 7 system
Active Cruise Control (radar which works)
Headrest entertainment system (dvd unit in upper glove box)
Two keys
20" Alloys
and loads more!

We have taken advice from Citizens Advice and sent a letter to the guy to reject the car and ask for a full refund and he has come back with not a particularly nice response.

My purpose for this posting is as follows:

We paid £4995 for the car(plus £30 he charged us for petrol to deliver it!) and have found potentially another full fat S/C as we have a full dog cage which wont fit the Sport (and my wife wants another fatty!).

I suspect that this guy is not going to refund the car easily (his parting shot was 'see you in court'!), so i'm just testing the water here to see if there is anyone in the L320 Sport world that would want it for around the £3K mark to use as a donor car / potentially repair.

My wife is not happy driving it as it is with the faults (we are getting the leaking brake pipe fixed today), but it hasnt been a pleasant experience as we are both in out mid / late 60's.

I can post some pictures of it if anyone interested.
Devizes, Wiltshire area

[/list]

Post #640707 Tue Mar 26 2024 12:33pm
SpiderPig

United Kingdom 

How did you pay for the vehicle? For example, did you pay the deposit using a credit card?

Did the trader offer any kind of warranty? Are there any terms & conditions related to the sale? 2021 P400e Autobiography
We call it Kevin

Post #640708 Tue Mar 26 2024 12:55pm
PaulTyrer

We paid by debit card and there is a 30 day warranty on it, however, we have just heard from the Garage that is doing the repair to the brakes that they have found another brake line that is leaking and dripping brake fluid onto the exhaust.
This line requires the exhaust to be taken off to fix which we are not prepared to do, so the garage has had to put a Do not Drive flag on it due to the fire risk.

I cannot see the trader giving us a refund either if his whatsapp response is anything to go by!!

Hence I think we are going to just have to dispose of it and take the financial hit as my wife needs a car.

Post #640710 Tue Mar 26 2024 1:05pm
SpiderPig

United Kingdom 

It's up to you, but I wouldn't want to accept the loss in this way. I'd also consider that this trader might also sell unsafe cars to other people and potentially put lives/liberty/health at risk. "I'll see you in court" isn't an adequate defence against statutory consumer rights.

I'd advise having a chat with the Motor Ombudsman.

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/

And see what your options are.

It states:

Your consumer rights

You can exercise your legal rights, but you will need to contact the seller (a franchise dealer or independent retailer) who sold you the used car. If you discover your vehicle is of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose, or not as described, within the first 30 days, you can raise this with the seller and ask for your money back. You will be entitled to a full refund.

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/knowledg...ar-problem 2021 P400e Autobiography
We call it Kevin

Post #640711 Tue Mar 26 2024 1:13pm
Goffy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

It is my understanding that, in law, the seller is liable for up to 6 months for any faults present at the time of sale. You must allow him one attempt to rectify the problems after which, if unsucessful, you are entitled to reject the car and receive a full refund.

NB I am not a lawyer, but this is what I have read in the Telegraph motoring columns.

Post #640712 Tue Mar 26 2024 2:43pm
PaulTyrer

Hi,

It was in at the local workshop yesterday (Tuesday) to at least have the 'replaced' brake pipe fixed, however when the mechanic started to look more closely at it, the main brake lines to the rear (which I believe run above the exhaust) are leaking and are dropping brake fluid onto the exhaust, which, he said, could be a potential fire risk.

To do this it needs the exhaust system to be dropped and as we are not willing to spend any more money on it have been advised by the workshop not to under any circumstances drive the car.

I had a whatsapp message from the trader yesterday morning after he had received our first letter (from the initial Consumer Advice template requesting a refund due to the goods not being of acceptable quality or as described (mileage 12,000 out and no service history) which was full of abuse aimed at my wife, finishing off with 'I'll see you in court'!

So a letter has gone off today requesting a full refund in 7 days or we will start court action against him to recover the cost!

My wife (we are both in our late 60's) now has to walk 4 times a day back and to from the yard she rents in the village to tend to her retired ex-racehorse and 34 year old Dartmoor pony, with a Range Rover Sport sat on the driveway!

Post #640745 Wed Mar 27 2024 2:00pm
PaulTyrer

Goffy wrote:
It is my understanding that, in law, the seller is liable for up to 6 months for any faults present at the time of sale. You must allow him one attempt to rectify the problems after which, if unsucessful, you are entitled to reject the car and receive a full refund.

NB I am not a lawyer, but this is what I have read in the Telegraph motoring columns.

When we went to view the car initially, he said that the brakes were very spongy and that this issue would be fixed, along with a full valet and wheel refurbishment.

The car was then sent to another body shop in Swindon where the brakes were allegedly being fixed, full Valet done and the wheels refurbished.

The car was cleaned (superficially!) wheels done and the brake pipe allegedly replaced, however, this pipe was the one that was subsequently found to be leaking by our mechanic last week - so he has had his chance to rectify the faults.

Post #640746 Wed Mar 27 2024 2:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1