RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > Failed on 3rd attempt.....................
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Failed on 3rd attempt.....................

Took my Sport on a Green Road run with the Scottish Land Rover Owners yesterday and had a ball apart from when we went into a disused quarry........

After a couple of rock climbing drives round the inside of the quarry we were sent on a "there and back" run round part of the perimeter track which was steep and VERY muddy. Now the mud wasn't a problem even on the Conti tyres, the TC just pulled me through much to the amazement of most of the others there (especially as a Freelander 1 had failed on that section - mainly due to driver inexperience) however all eyes were on me on the next section which was a steep up hill on grass streaming with run-off water (I didn't mention that we had a monsoon on the west coast of Scotland yesterday!). I had been quite careful to run on uncompacted grass to try to clean mud out of the tyre treads before I lined up for the hill climb. Changed TR from mud to grass, gravel and snow setting and disabled the DSC and HDC. With 2nd Low engaged I lined up and took a run at the slope but only got about 50ft up it when I came to a halt with the TC working overtime to find grip. Reversed back and gave it another go but in 3rd Low this time but the same result, so came back for a 3rd attempt starting in 2nd Low but the car was having nothing of it. As I reversed back to turn round I got a huge round of applause but couldn't figure out why as I did really get very far........................
Back in the quarry I asked why did everybody clap at me for failing and I was shocked at the answer! The guy in charge then told that they had specially set up that section JUST FOR ME as they knew all the old Landies on knobbly tyres would breeze over it but they didn't expect me to get through the first muddy section on road tyres let alone get 90% of the way round the trail........................... so all I can say is that thanks to the boffins at LR, yesterday I was able to demonstrate in the flesh without embarrassment that there are very very few places that a modern Land Rover cannot go even on road tyres - what was even more impressive was that I didn't chew up any grass even though the wheels were scrabbling for grip on the wet grass, I did leave some burn marks but no furrows like all the others on their chunky mud terrain tyres who lost out in a cloud of flying mud and turfs! The marshal looking after the section later told me it was very impressive to see the RRS in a situation where all the others had spinning wheels, with it's wheels being braked by the TC while the one with traction drove with next to no fuss and when it started to slip the drive was transferred to the next wheel that had grip................ I just ran out of grippy spots on the wet grassy incline. I must admit that even though everybody else was impressed, I felt a bit cheesed off that I couldn't complete a section that I would have breezed over in my no-tech 90 with it's All Terrain tyres on. Next purchase will have to be a set of good AT's for use as winter/ offroad tyres. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Jun 04 2007 10:09am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #113241 Mon Jun 04 2007 10:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ivery819

Good work Tim
Job well done. Very Happy

Imagine how intimidated they will be when you turn up with decent off-roads on the RRS. Shocked

Post #113243 Mon Jun 04 2007 10:05am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Nice one Tim... it does seem the RRS is gaining respect in the offroad world, where as you've pointed out you don't need a beaten up Defender with knobbly tyres to enjoy yourself Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #113253 Mon Jun 04 2007 10:53am
Tim in Scotland

But Shmoogle I don't mind doing this sort of thing to my 11 year old 90 but would be sick if it happened to my Sport..................... and these were not very extreme offroad events, in fact one (the big dent) was acquired on a green lane in Northumberland with the D3 guys! There's fun and there's FUN

This is in the FUN category
This is the damage that youg trees can do AFTER they have been cut back to make the track wide enough.....

I have side steps because they are cheaper to replace than a sill - this is what a rock in a narrow gap can do:

Also narrow gaps take their toll on bumpers

But at £40 a shot to replace they are an awful lot cheaper than the plastic one piece jobs on a Sport

And this is what happens when you reverse into a stone wall that is overgrown by weeds and brambles and has flag stone step built into it

it's going to cost £75 to fix it - I would have to claim on insurance if I did it to the RRS

And even when it gets to 4 or 5 years old I think even I would be reluctant to take my RRS here, but it's great to do in the 90

I know the RRS could handle what is in the video, probably even on the Contis, but whether my blood pressure would take the worry about the damage ............................ it certainly wouldn't be as much fun!

The RRS would handle this dead easily though

Please excuse the odd tapping noises in the videos, I mounted the camera too close to the windscreen and didn't realise the lens was tapping against it when the camera was running

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Jun 04 2007 12:56pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #113265 Mon Jun 04 2007 12:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

All good points, Tim! Thumbs Up 

Post #113266 Mon Jun 04 2007 12:53pm
Tim in Scotland

Maybe I have been too careful to my 90, but all the damage in the pics has been acquired in the last 3 weeks! I suppose if you take a long term view, apart from washing all the lube out of the rear wheel bearings deep water wading the 90 (which "only" cost about £200 for 2 new bearings and fitting) and a few deep scratches on the paint work, that is the total damage I have done to the 90 in 6 years of ofroading it. Cannot be trying hard enough! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #113267 Mon Jun 04 2007 1:02pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

What you need is some of those magnetic trees they have at the Ashford LRE! Laughing 

Post #113282 Mon Jun 04 2007 1:49pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Or watch out for the 'Magnetic concrete walls' at LRE Solihull, eh Kam? Laughing Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #113562 Tue Jun 05 2007 9:11am
Nelly

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Great posting Tim, very interesting, make a good basis for an LRO article I'd say. I would love to use my Sport off road and am looking forward to a meet of the non damaging kind !!!

It will interesting to fing out what AT tyres you get when you make the purchase. Are you running on 18 inch ? TDV6 SE Java Black Front and Rear Headlamp guards

1500 miles of luxurious touring on the clock

Post #113571 Tue Jun 05 2007 9:27am
Tim in Scotland

My Sport runs on standard Continentals with the optional 10 spoke 18" wheels and my 90 runs on 265/75/R16's BFGoodrich Mud Terrains on Land Rover Deep Dish alloys which have recently replaced a set All Terrains in the same size on Land Rover Freestyle alloys. The All terrains are excellent but BFG don't make them with a low enough sidewall to fit into the Sport's wheel arches. BFG AT's run very quietly on the road (although I'm sure my new MT's are even quieter despite the chunkier tread!) and have amazing wear characteristics - the previous set of AT's ran to 59000 miles and still had 4mm of tread minimum, left when I changed them. I even sold them on to a guy who never went offroad in his Defender! They were OK for on road use with that tread left but somewhat lacking offroad. Certainly if BFG could come up with a set of MTR's or even ATs (which are OK for 95% of the offroading that I do) to fit on an RRS I would change to them for every day use. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #113575 Tue Jun 05 2007 9:44am
oilman151

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

Great post Tim - really interesting. It is quite amazing what the RRS will do offroad - even with road tyres. I've got Pirellis on mine which I think are better than Contis. I've done several offroad runs in the RRS with no problems at all. However like you, I am reluctant to go too extreme as there will inevitably be damage to bodywork and trim. I am looking for a set of 18s with ATs for the RRS so that I save the Pirellis for road use. I use the 110 for the more extreme stuff. The Defender is so much fun offroad and no real worry about minor damage. I've got 16" steel wheels with Goodyear Wranglers for road use and big black modulars with 33" mud tyres for fun days. Surprisingly they are not too bad on the road either. Not too noisy, but they do affect the handling. I must post some pics one of these days of both RRS and Defender.
Great story Tim. It's a testament to the RRS that so many "Offroaders" clapped and cheered at your effort in the RRS. Different tyres and I'm sure you would have made it up the hill, no worries!!!!! Very Happy Range Rover Evoque 5 door on order.
2006Java/Alpaca/4.4HSE/PTIS/Tracker/pp/Tasmods/Black side repeaters/Custom exhaust (gone but not forgotten!)
Land Rover Defender 110 CSW 200 TDi blue (Offroad prep'ed).
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
Aston Martin DB9 Tungsten Silver
Another Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (Christinemobile)
1990 Mini Cooper SE - classic! (now sold)
New addition - 1972 Triumph Stag Pimento Red

Post #113636 Tue Jun 05 2007 2:24pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Like to try that with my MTRs on! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #113638 Tue Jun 05 2007 2:27pm
Tim in Scotland

I had a couple of heart-stopping moments on snow last winter the Contis and certainly will be putting on something different for next winter. Smarticus has been running on some winter biased tyres on his TDv8 and has decided that the performance of them is so good that he is keeping them on all year round 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #113639 Tue Jun 05 2007 2:39pm
hartleyhair

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I can vouch for the excellent all year properties of the Nokian tyre too. The main reason I changed back to the Contis was to get some Stormers back on the car - the Nokians are on the stock 10 spoke 20s.

HH Driving - TDV8 HSE in Stornaway / Ebony / Brunel
Sold - 56 TDV8 HSE in Java Black EBONY/RHODIUM/PRIVACY GLASS
Sold - 05 TDV6 HSE BONATTI/BLACK/RHODIUM 20''STORMERS, PTI AND FACTORY TINT.

Post #113649 Tue Jun 05 2007 4:10pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Nelly wrote:
Great posting Tim, very interesting, make a good basis for an LRO article I'd say. I would love to use my Sport off road and am looking forward to a meet of the non damaging kind !!!

It will interesting to fing out what AT tyres you get when you make the purchase. Are you running on 18 inch ?

I used to take my landcruiser over the track from the B6277 to Ireshopeburn up in the northern peninnes in County Durham now if I could get a big vehicle like that over the hill without damage then it should be possible for the RRS Twisted Evil ......

All you have to watchout for is the odd mineshaft Whistle
this was taken up there just off the track, the small hillocks are the tailings off the mines there
and she is not stuck Whistle
Click image to enlarge

Post #115590 Tue Jun 12 2007 7:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>