Home > Technical > KNOCKING NOISE COMING FROM FRONT END
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>

thebiggy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Nutty Nige wrote:
Welcome to the forum biggy
But don't hold your breath
There is an issue with some of the 07 models that still knock with a new anti-roll-bar, new bushes, brackets the lot, and mine is one of them.
Drive on smooth tarmac at around 20-25mph and snatch the steering wheel real hard one way and then the other
As the weight trasnsfers the knock can be heard loud. This is not the knock that is mentioned in the roll bar mod.
At the moment their are some modified parts being made but they are not available until next month.
Lets hope they work. Thumbs Up

Thanks for letting me know that. I have a lot more to question Land Rover about when they finally come and look at the car! The biggy.

Post #112042 Wed May 30 2007 8:10pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Post it on the FFRR site Doc we are not listening Evil or Very Mad some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #112047 Wed May 30 2007 8:29pm
frizz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Yes, mine also knocks. Developed after about 3000 miles. took it back to the dealer who told me that it was a characteristic of the car. As did LR customer services.They then replaced the anti-rollbar and bushes, and yes, it still knocks! The exact same symptoms as nutty nige mentioned. The car is going back next tuesday for further investigation.
This time the dealership are going to stick microphones under the car to try and pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.
I'll keep you posted.

Post #114103 Thu Jun 07 2007 1:13pm
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

frizz wrote:
Yes, mine also knocks. Developed after about 3000 miles. took it back to the dealer who told me that it was a characteristic of the car. As did LR customer services.They then replaced the anti-rollbar and bushes, and yes, it still knocks! The exact same symptoms as nutty nige mentioned. The car is going back next tuesday for further investigation.
This time the dealership are going to stick microphones under the car to try and pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.
I'll keep you posted.

My post on the same story:
http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6757.html

Dealer awaiting an engineer from LR next week to inspect the car. They got my car and another one with the same issue Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #114111 Thu Jun 07 2007 1:57pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Welcome to the forum of TURN UP THE RADIO TO STOP THE KNOCKING Frizz
I told LR where the noise is comming from 6 weeks ago- but I was asked not to disclose it on here as it is a public forum.
Obviously they will want to know that it cures it before they disclose the source.
There are some modified parts on the way to try on mine as the bogy car. These should be here in the next 2-3 days.
If it cures it there may be a recall on some vehicles I suspect.
I will keep you all posted. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #114116 Thu Jun 07 2007 2:26pm
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Nutty Nige wrote:
Welcome to the forum of TURN UP THE RADIO TO STOP THE KNOCKING Frizz
I told LR where the noise is comming from 6 weeks ago- but I was asked not to disclose it on here as it is a public forum.
Obviously they will want to know that it cures it before they disclose the source.
There are some modified parts on the way to try on mine as the bogy car. These should be here in the next 2-3 days.
If it cures it there may be a recall on some vehicles I suspect.
I will keep you all posted.

If you do a search, the knock seems to be going on since the end of last year....and quite a few people where talking about it on this forum...

The reaction of dealers have been various some just saying to turn up the radio, that the noise is normal and some other working a lot to try to solve the problem...

Any sharing of info on this forum will only help us to help the dealers to solve this issue! Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #114141 Thu Jun 07 2007 5:57pm
XUJG

Hi all, we have an MY07 December 06 RRS TDV6 HSE with the same problem. Every morning when it drops off the end the drive (about an inch high) it clangs from the outside and when on full lock it makes an awfull noise. I have not bothered taking it to the steeler as I know it wont show when there.
John

Post #114148 Thu Jun 07 2007 9:18pm
frizz

Cheers! Thanks for the Welcome.
Just to give you an update on my 07 RRS HSE.
The car went back to the dealer yesterday where they bled the arc system and downloaded the dvd 107 patch 4 and not the 105 patch 3 as mentioned by the voice of reason in the thread. This I assume must be the latest software upgrade.The bushes were replaced about a week ago with PT No RVU5001. They also attached accoustic pads to the underneath of the car to pinpoint where the noise was coming from, and agreed that the noise was eminating from the arc system.
Anyway, picked the car up in the afternoon and YEP! IT STILL CLONKS.Even with the system disabled and in different ride heights at 5 MPH, turning the steering wheel left to right about 1/4 turn I still have a clonk clonk noise that can even be felt through the steering. Slight rises in the road surface and accelerating from standstill also trigger this noise.
Has anyone out there managed to get theirs fixed yet??? If so, maybe they could shed some light on how to get mine fixed.
At present I'm Waiting for LR customer services to contact me after speaking to LR technical.
Cheers again! Posting again soon......

Post #115900 Wed Jun 13 2007 11:51am
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi Frizz
Judt an update for you.
Mine is going into the dealers next week and LR engineers are coming to look at it
They will fit the modified parts and see what happens.
As soon as I have any info I will let you all know.

Lets keep our fingers crossed. Smile You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #115933 Wed Jun 13 2007 12:54pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

well mine went in to the dealers today for the suspension knock fix, and guess what, yep you guessed it, its still there even though i spoke to the dealers and gave them the info off here and from VOR and the part numbers, they gave me a tecky bullletin from L/R explaining what the water knock was, which i accept, but it still has the same knock as my old TDV6 which they cured.

They have offered to fit the bushes at a cost to me of over £200 as they say there is nowt wrong with them, i will be speaking to them again tomorrow Evil or Very Mad some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #116220 Wed Jun 13 2007 9:55pm
frizz

Hi Nutty Nige.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed too!
I wonder if the modified part could be some-thing to do with the arc pump. Maybe they have restricted the ports to stem the violent flow of the fluid, hence smoothing out the delivery.
Just a stab in the dark!
I am sure LR will sort the problem out in the end.

Cheers.

Post #116324 Thu Jun 14 2007 9:00am
frizz

Hi Envoy.
I too have been given the bulletin, and if my c/heating developed a "water hammer knock" I would fix it.I am sure LR are working on a solution as I write.After all my fixes, the dealer told me that there is nothing more they can do until LR advise them otherwise.
As long as we keep writing in there may be potential customers out there who might read these posts first before purchasing a RRS. I myself would have chosen an alternative if I'd been told that the car may develop a "water hammer thud"after 3,000 miles.
Other owners out there with the same problem should also return their car to the dealer so that they can submit an EPQR to LR.
Customer services at LR assure me that the technical dept are aware of the problem, and hopefully working on a fix. It seems to me that Nutty Niges' car could be used as a guinea pig trial for this possible fix with some modfied components."Let's hope it works".
Cheers!

Post #116347 Thu Jun 14 2007 10:03am
Peter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black
Suspension Knock - Easily Fixed!

This forum has the power to change this ridiculous issue!

My 06 RRS HSE has had this problem for ages too. The only reason I didn't know about it sooner was the knocking from the tailgate latch problem was louder!!!

Anyway, a combination of Velcro and LR approved dealer installed "fixes" has kind of resolved this problem. I say "kind of" because this week we have noticed that the "tailgate open" warning comes on every day after my daughter closes the tailgate at school rather than every other day!!

On the suspension knocking issue my dealer (Stratstone High Wycombe) had my car for a week trying to resolve this most annoying problem. After I got it back, all nicely shiny and clean I really thought "yes" - clever lot, they've fixed it. Alas, I was wrong; the knocking is back a month later! The description of when it happens is so accurately described here that I know mine has exactly the same problems as yours.

I have a question? Do we want to encourage LR and our dealers to take this seriously? The reason why I ask this question is due to the French. They don't have problems like this generally. In France, if Renault didn't fix a problem like this, the disgruntled French owners would all take collective action and park their unsatisfactory vehicles in front of either the Renault MD's home or the Prime Minister or Presidents home / the Champs Elysee or both and always the factory so no-one could get in to make any more sub-standard vehicles.

This may seem radical and I'm not suggesting that anyone acts illegally but I get the impression that all of this chat, although very cathartic for some, is actually just that. Is LR really listening to our plight?, I don't think so. Has anyone had a letter from them apologising that the first year of ownership of their £50k+ car was spoilt by poor design or workmanship or both? I doubt it. Has anyone been invited to their dealer to discuss "a plan of action" to commit the dealer to put this sad and sorry affair behind us? Not a hope in hell!

You know what? - we are on our own! We know it really but the Brit in us (sorry Scots are top too) insists on suffering alone. We have proven before that the collective is far, far more powerful than any single owner.

Why don't we contact Top Gear and see if we can create a line of faulty LR vehicles along their runway end to end to see how far we can get? I can imagine a heli-telly shot where they do a fly-by along their runway flying over dozens of Range Rovers with posters detailing all the outstanding faults lists on their roof!

Some other "stunt" may also be necessary to demonstrate to LR that although this isn't exactly France (where they would be anticipating some form of direct action from disgruntled owners) that we feel passionately about this; we insist that our investments do what it says they would in their brochures; we don't want to feel disappointed and angry at ourselves all the time because we feel we may have made such a poor purchasing decision by buying a Land Rover - more importantly, we actually bought the premiere Range Rover brand so have a right to feel even worse about our situations and our judgement.

Call me a moaning old git if you like but I am tired of rolling over and letting Corporates have me from behind because I feel too powerless to act like a Frog (frenchman)!

[Admin/ Mod Any chance of a vote post on this to see who really wants to do something about this rather than just talk about it?] It's finally gone! Replaced with BMW 730SE in Sophisto grey Xirallic finish with Oyster (Ivory) and black interior. DAB, Climate glass, Ceramic iDrive and gear selector, power boot and iPhone Bluetooth pack - luvvin' it!

I miss my old RRS "bucket" rattling around but it just had to go!

Post #117005 Sat Jun 16 2007 8:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hussar

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Adverse impact on sales

We might think that discussion forums and a lack of direct action are not affecting sales but you could not be more wrong. I personally know of 6 people living in Brussels who have been put off buying a RR Sport due to a heady combination of concern over the now infamous "knocking noise" and rude and disrespectful sales staff. They are all either driving an X5 or a Xc90! The sooner that LR sort this out the quicker their reputation will be stabilised.

Keep shining a light on these problems and we will hopefully see results!

Hussar

Post #117401 Sun Jun 17 2007 1:35pm
frizz

Well done Hussar! Alas, I have only Managed 2. One bought an Audi Q7 instead, the other I dont know.
None the less I rekon thats still about 400,000 pounds thats slipped through LRs hands.
I asked one LR dealer, that if I were to go to a BMW showroom and try to trade in my RRS and that after the dealer had test driven my car refused to take it in P/EX because of the clonking noise, I was then to show him the technical bulletin.(Would this change his mind?)I think not!
Anyway my car goes back yet again to the dealer whwere a LR reigonal technical manager will be inspecting the vehicle.(Any bets on what he fobs me off with?)
Anyway be interesting to see if nutty nige or for that matter,if anyone else has had theirs fixed yet.

frizz

Post #120098 Sat Jun 23 2007 2:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 8 <12345678>