RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Few little faults to scratch your heads at with me
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Hodson91

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Few little faults to scratch your heads at with me

Hi all after a bit of advise or guidance from fellow owners as i cant say ive come across the faults before that my car is giving me
So

fault 1 and most recent... driving along and all electrics flicker on and off quite quickly... very concerning at night time as people may think im flashing them from behind, so far ive noticed head lights, stereo, dash lights and can hear relays clicking also when it happens. Only happens whilst driving, hasnt happened stationary... yet
Master tech at work has suggested chaffed wiring in nsr arch area or instrument cluster... this is getting checked this week but just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this issue or if anyone could guide me on their experiences on what to check

Fault 2. Rotational knocking noise from front whilst driving and reversing, only really noticeable when warm and under load (wont do it raised and ran on a ramp) my inital thinking is Front diff but again i would like to know if anyone else has come across this themselves.

Fault 3. Quite a big clunk from steering rack when on the left hand lock (steering isnt stiff as per the usual UJ problem) racks in experience arent that common on these.

Much appreciated for any info and guidance

Post #638657 Tue Jan 09 2024 10:41pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

It may be worth checking your battery connections and earth points regarding the electrical issue 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #638684 Wed Jan 10 2024 8:20pm
Hodson91

Hello gogsy1956, tyne and wear too I see.

Yes i have checked battery connections, earth points and all the connectors behind the battery. Just hoping its not the instrument cluster Shocked

Im not sure if you can upload videos on here as i have a video of the fault

Post #638709 Thu Jan 11 2024 7:00pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Aye, wallsend to be exact,, you should be able to upload video just as you do with pics 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #638713 Thu Jan 11 2024 8:21pm
Hodson91

Im not sure i know how to do that either, still a newbie Laughing
I can see the puctures bit but it doesnt show any videos. I suppose i could upload to youtube then share the link

Post #638715 Thu Jan 11 2024 9:21pm
Hodson91

?si=tjmFYwZOPOytmToV

Headlights breifly flash
Wipers briefly stop
Radio briefly stops but screen stays lit
Instrument cluster stays lit
Some dash lights flash but not all stop...

Very confusing Confused

Post #638716 Thu Jan 11 2024 9:42pm
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Maybe it’s trying to get the music to stop?

Do you have a sunroof? If so check the CJB for water. Possible a sunroof drain is leaking onto the CJB causing this to happen.

For the rotational knocking check wheel bearings (rotate the wheels by hand), the rear prop shaft carrier bushing, and the parking brake shoes/drums.

For the left turn clunk check bushings on control arms, ARB bushings and ARB links. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #638721 Fri Jan 12 2024 5:39am
Hodson91

I dont blame it, was just crap on the radio.
No sunroof
I think ive traced the rotational knock to osf drive shaft. Prob bearing is new, park brake shoes are good. Lower arms are new, ARB bushes are new and drop links are ok.
Regards

Post #638731 Fri Jan 12 2024 1:58pm
Hodson91

Quick update.

Electrics side of things i think are cured. Alternator was overcharging. Fitted a replacement alternator i had lying around and so far so good. So if anyone comes across the faults i showed in the video and also pulsating lights was one of the symptoms... then check your Alternator charge rate. Mine was fluctuating between 14v to 16v whilst charging

I also replaced the osf driveshaft for the rotational knock as i thought i had play in the inner cv joint... turns out it wasnt that. So back to the drawing board for that one. I will get the chassis ears out for that when i next get 5mins at work. But i am suspecting the front diff

Post #638986 Sun Jan 21 2024 11:36am
NoExpert

Have you checked the wheel bearings? 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #638991 Sun Jan 21 2024 2:38pm
Hodson91

Yes, both front wheels bearings have been replaced recently. The osf bearing i didn't personally replace, but it looked new, nsf I have replaced although they werent genuine land rovers so the quality wont be as good but were off LR PARTS so assumed they would of been sufficient.
But its not the sort of noise that wheel bearings tend to give out. I cant replicate the noise whilst running it on the ramp. It has to be under load. So with the chassis ears i will listen in to both front hubs and front diff. See what i can pick up on that.
Regards 2010 RRS, TDV6
Santorini Black / Black Leather Interior
Black Side Steps, Black Autobiography Grill and Side Vents
22" Calibre Satin Black Alloys

ALSO IN THE FLEET
X2 2008 Focus 2.5 Turbo ST225 both approx 330bhp, Electric Orange
2011 Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X Sport Auto, Frozen White
2007 Fiesta ST150 2.0, Silver
2011 Swift Challenger 570SR Caravan

Post #639005 Sun Jan 21 2024 9:46pm
Hodson91

Hi all,
Quick update on my front end rotational clunking/knock that is quite literally driving me INSANE. Its quite hard to explain and no matter what i type into google or forums my symptoms dont seem to match others. As also mentioned ive worked for land rover for 10years and havent come across this issue beforehand. So I'll try to describe it the best i can... it is a rotational clunking/knocking noise, road speed, not engine speed, road surfaces or bumps make no difference, its more apparent when warm. Not really noticed it when its been cold. And seems more noticeable at low speeds. I assume its always there but with road and wind noise taking over at certain speeds it masks it out. More apparent when reversing and turning. Ive noticed it when coasting to a stop, say coming to a roundabout once road and wind noises die down.

So far to try and eliminate the issue i replaced both front driveshafts (thinking cv joints may be worn after feeling slight play on the inner shafts). Same clunk/knock still there after. So then i suspected the front diff. Got the chassis ears out and put one on each front hubs, one on the front diff housing and lastly one on the diff/right hand drive shaft extension tube and went for a spin. Front hubs sounded quiet and the clunking was definitely heard through the diff and extension channels... so assuming i found the culprit i ordered a replacement front diff (a used one i admit but im sure we've done it and i didn't have the funds for a new one from LR) fitted that this morning and the exact same noise is still there (the chances of both front diffs creating the extact same noise are extremely slim) obviously i did my home work beforehand and made sure the ratios were correct for my car to rule that out...

Vehicle has also had...
• Recent lower arms (judging by condition, not sure on brand, already on the car when i bought it) (tempted to poly bush them but i am also wanting the sell the car once fixed so don't want to keep throwing money at it if it doesnt need it)
• New tyres
• New front arc bar bushes (oem)
• 4 wheel alignment
• New nsf wheel bearing (from LR parts, not very expensive but surely all car parts manufactured go through tests and passed right?)
• Recent osf wheel bearing (judging by condition, not sure on brand, already on the car when i bought it)

I do also have some concerns over the steering rack as this has minor play but surely that would give me the odd clunk whilst steering instead of giving me a constant rotational knock... but it is a land rover so i guess anything is possible

Anyones input would be much appreciated no matter how daft it is and thank you in advance. 2010 RRS, TDV6

ALSO IN THE FLEET

Post #639563 Sun Feb 11 2024 1:00am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

So trying to think of rotating things that get warm. You reference it does it in reverse and more apparent when it's warm. So speed can be dismissed I think. Have you considered wheel bearings or the transfer box. The prop shaft hanger bearing? You may be able to find a way of putting your listening ears on the TB. I'm probably wrong as I usually am but I'll suggest it. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #639567 Sun Feb 11 2024 8:13am
Hodson91

There are no right or wrong answers and i thank you for your suggestions. I will be listening in again to front hubs i think. perhaps find a different place to clamp to. And yes i think i will probably put one on TB too
Thank you 2010 RRS, TDV6

ALSO IN THE FLEET

Post #639570 Sun Feb 11 2024 11:29am
NoExpert

Rear wheel bearings checked? Sounds crazy, but I’ve had what I swore was a front end noise turn out to be the back. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory

Post #639576 Sun Feb 11 2024 1:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>