Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > Another 1st time RRS owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

MHSPORT08

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Another 1st time RRS owner

Just a few lines to say Hello

Been looking at vehicles which could handle some towing duties and picked up my first RRS a 3.6 TDV8 last week as a spares or repair (read cheap).

It runs, sounds quiet and is on an 08 plate in black (not sure what colour that would be buts its not metallic) with 168k on the clock and still has an mot till April 24. Drove it onto the recovery trailer lol

Obvious things needed:

1. Battery knackered after charging it (ordered a 019 Excide)
2. Couple of tyres are worn out and front N/S is worn on the outside so tracking must be off.
3. Suspension fault light on, seem's to raise and lower but drops at the front when parked for more than a day (front valve block?)
4. Oil leak from engine (possible cam covers leaking on both sides)
5. Bonnet struts gone (ordered a pair)
6. One side step missing (needs a new pair)
7. Rear bumper is cracked on OS corner (friend has a staple and glue gun so might try a repair)
8. Filthy inside and out, needs a real good clean.

The sellers had it 5 years but didn't know much about its history, but did get service history with it and stamps to 135k and bills for the following which I don't think they looked through.

Waterpump
N/S turbo
Gearbox oil changed at 74k (planning to do this soon if it drives ok)
Exhaust manifold and gaskets (body off!)
Replacement air comp (recent)
Height sensor (recent)
Various bushes
Various drop links
Various wheel bearings

That's about it Very Happy

I'd like to purchase a used scanner asap if anyone has one to sell or loan out with a deposit PM me

Cheers
Martin

Post #637246 Mon Nov 13 2023 4:52pm
MHSPORT08

Oh one other thing..

There's no spare wheel under the boot floor is this normal or is it just missing? I know some manufacturers from this age just supplied a compressor and glue but not sure if its supposed to be there?

Cheers

Post #637247 Mon Nov 13 2023 5:00pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Should be underneath the car with a winch wound from inside the boot floor. If there's no wheel to weight the winch, it will probably be knackered and you will need a new one of those as well.

Post #637248 Mon Nov 13 2023 5:21pm
MHSPORT08

Thanks O&C

Would that have matched with the other alloys? I'll take a look and see if I can find any signs of the winch!

Post #637250 Mon Nov 13 2023 5:36pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

either space saver or alloy.

steel space savers rust apparently and loose air

big alloys are still a heavy weight to lift onto the hub

There is a nut in the car to lower the winch. Spares do get nicked, so there are modified winches out there (2 versions at least), so consider that

Post #637251 Mon Nov 13 2023 7:20pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

One can buy a guard that protects the spare wheel from theft. A worthwhile investment if one plans to keep the vehicle (and its spare wheel). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #637252 Mon Nov 13 2023 8:00pm
MHSPORT08

Thanks for the reply’s all, I will try and get a few pics as it is before doing anything over the weekend.

Post #637264 Tue Nov 14 2023 10:52am
MHSPORT08

Small update

Battery arrived so that's been put on and she fires up instantly.

New struts fitted to the bonnet so it wont fall on my head anymore while poking about Laughing

Suspension fault is still there as I expected so have ordered a Icarsoft LR V2.0 online (I just hope this can scan the code and maybe show me the live data?). I've seen a few things online about corroded sockets on these so will check over connections at the weekend.

Valve block rebuild seals have also arrived and I will probably do these these as a matter of course as I suspect perhaps the front one is leaky. It will lift to full height but drops at the front evenly both sides over 2 days if the battery is connected. If the battery is disconnected then it stays at full height regardless and this leads me to think there's a leak on the front valve block or one of the front air bags.

I was told its had a replacement height sensor (don't know which one atm) although there's nothing in the paperwork. I'm thinking of scoping them all to rule out a duff track in one and I'll take a close look at the levels showing on the centre display which seem's to shows if the calibration is out when parked on level ground.

The compressor pump was replaced in April 22 with a new Hitach one (LR023964) and certainly sound nice and quiet.

The cable for the spare wheel has been cut so new winch ordered, looking for 20" alloy.

More soon.....

Post #637336 Thu Nov 16 2023 11:04am
MHSPORT08

Manged to get a day on the RR yesterday so whats been done...

1. Engine service, all filters and oil plus pollen filter. They were nasty especially the air filter and it must have been wheezing along. While under there I have confirmed the cam cover gaskets are leaking but for now will monitor this as its not a nice job to replace them.

2. Brake warning was illuminated on the dash so got her jacked up (wow its heavy), all brake discs look good, front pads are getting low but not to the point of bringing the sensor into play. I removed the sensor and tested it on the bench and it wasn't open circuit so all good. At the rear the pads also looked good at around half life but the sensor looked iffy and sure enough it was open circuit and seemed to have been broken when someone was last in there. New one fitted and the warning is now off Very Happy

3. While the wheels were off I gave them a good clean, they all have curb rash and need refinishing but one wheel has a buckle and this has put a small split in the rim which is leaking air and needs welding but I know man who can.

4. Brake fluid flush, again the old fluid was filthy, fortunately all the bleed nipples opened so this was a non event.

5. Looking further into the suspension issue the fault the reader brought up that the left front height level sensor was faulty and sure enough when driven its visible on the 4x4 display with a flashing red dot and the wheel hanging low. Sometimes its ok at off road height but when driven and it lowers to standard then the issue presents itself and then the system dumps all the air and you end up on the bump stops. New sensors ordered for the front (I'll replace the pair when they arrive).

6. Bonnet struts replaced.

7. N/S wing mirror glass was loose and seems to have been hot glued in place, removed and cleaned off glue and noted the plastic tabs are broken so new glass ordered.

8. Number plate lamp bulbs replaced as one was blown.

9. Removed the N/S side step as this was rust and the O/S is already missing. If it behaves I might fit a new pair.

10. Cleaned out under all the seats for loose items and found various things, covid masks, mouldy chips, compact mirror and also £6 in loose change which was a bonus!

11. Wiper blades replaced, washer jets unblocked and aim set. (Things like this really bug me lol)

Just about to load up for a tip run then I'll give it a good clean inside and but post a few pics

Cheers

Post #637414 Sun Nov 19 2023 11:15am
RRSTDV8

All sounding very positive - well done! Thumbs Up

Just a note, if you don't already know, that you will need to calibrate the suspension when you change the ride height sensors. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #637428 Sun Nov 19 2023 3:08pm
MHSPORT08

Thanks RRSTDV8

I had read about the suspension height calibration which will be an issue I think as this icarsoft LRv2 version can't do it Crying or Very sad soI'll need to find someone who can.

A few pictures (not sure why they've fallen on their side?)

Post #637431 Sun Nov 19 2023 6:11pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Well you've made some decent progress and they still look good. Wish mine was that clean Big Cry 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #637433 Sun Nov 19 2023 8:02pm
RRSTDV8

MHSPORT08 wrote:

A few pictures (not sure why they've fallen on their side?)

Do you use an iPhone? They seem to cause this issue at times.

Quote:

That filter has certainly done some work! Shocked 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #637436 Sun Nov 19 2023 8:46pm
MHSPORT08

Those pics were taken with an iphone, is there anyway to rotate them or do they need taking with the handset held in landscape to start with?

The pics of the car are as received (been parked up for maybe 6 months) and its actually filthy Censored

Another thing of note is that the O/S front xenon headlight is pointing down, I don't think its responding properly so either the motor is stuck or perhaps the level sensor issue is causing it to be confused. I'll live with that for now.

Post #637446 Mon Nov 20 2023 10:16am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Do the headlights have a yellow label on top saying AFS. ?

If no, they don’t have motors.
If yes, lookout for a used unit

Post #637448 Mon Nov 20 2023 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>