RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L461) > MY24
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Grimble

United Kingdom 

The Android v Apple debate seems to have touched a nerve.
The reason I avoid Apple is the price, lack of flexibility in customisation, the 'trendy' factor, the unique (expensive) connector and their 'we know best' attitude, although that's a very common trait with software developers in general.
But each to their own. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #634131 Wed Jul 05 2023 2:05pm
norscot

The petty Android/Apple war is pretty irrelevant to the main issue: High quality physical controls are far more ergonomically satisfying than a touch screen, whatever tech drives the screen.

Range Rover interior would be far more desirable with high quality physical controls, rather than a touch screen similar to what is coming on any cheap car.

Post #634134 Wed Jul 05 2023 5:33pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

^ Exactly so.

The move to all-on-screen controls is just straight forward design laziness and penny-pinching accountancy.

Look at the original RRS HVAC controls:

Click image to enlarge

Temperature and seat heating can be accessed with one hand without taking your eyes from the road. The fan, likewise. Very quickly one learn the location of the recirc button too. The air direction controls are a simple stack of buttons with the top directing air to the top, the middle to the middle, the bottom to the feet. Easy, intuitive and can be used without looking. Care and thought went in to designing a compact set of controls that are intuitive and can be used without distraction by the driver.

Now the driver has to look at a screen and has to push at least two different bits of the screen (they say the important stuff is no more than two "clicks" in on the options). That's going to be the driver taking their eyes off the road every time.

Lazy, lazy design. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #634135 Wed Jul 05 2023 7:05pm
JDPRRSUK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Completely disagree - the picture shows a very outdated approach to controls. Perhaps just a personal perspective thing. I love touch screens. Who has buttons on their phone any more?

Post #634139 Wed Jul 05 2023 11:11pm
AlM

Australia 

Each to their own (preferences)! That said, comparing a phone to car controls is ludicrous. You have all the time in the world to interact with your phone without compromising your safety - unless you walk out into traffic while texting. Having your eyes off the road for 2 seconds is very different, especially in heavy traffic or highway speeds.

I have articles referencing VW, acknowledging that touchscreens have gone too far and that they will be returning to tactile buttons for key functions. MY21.5 HSE 221KW D16
Gone:
F15 30D X5
E70 30D X5
E53 30D X5
Jeep Grande Cherokee v8

Post #634140 Wed Jul 05 2023 11:33pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

JDPRRSUK wrote:
Completely disagree - the picture shows a very outdated approach to controls. Perhaps just a personal perspective thing. I love touch screens. Who has buttons on their phone any more?

It's illegal to use a phone whilst driving other than hands free. Why do you think that is? Distraction, that's why. If being able to use controls without being head-down for several seconds is "outdated" then I guess it's outdated to want to avoid accidents.

Oh, and my phone has buttons. I can use them to do things other than just turn it on or adjust the volume. I can take a photo, all one handed and without having to search on a screen for the correct logo to tap. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #634144 Thu Jul 06 2023 8:50am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I totally agree, if we are going to move away from physical buttons and switches then a much better solution is voice commands.

Unfortunately each manufacturer approaches it in a slightly different manner.
However if they would give up trying to reinvent the "software wheel" and adopt a standard then it should be an improvement.

When I can get in an Audi then a Land Rover, etc and give the same voice command I would be very happy!

Unfortunately both Google and Apple are both wooing the car makers to take on this role and no doubt we will end up not solving the problem. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #634145 Thu Jul 06 2023 9:05am
Yves_0016

Belgium 

I ordered only a good month ago and 2 weeks later all of a sudden the MY2024 updates were announced.

Obviously chuffed with the extra electric range and horsepower. But I must say also somewhat apprehensive about the disappearing of the physical buttons.

I will need to really sit in one and actually feel and do the actions required for the temperature, heated seats and driving modes to be able to honestly and realistically comment but my initial gut reaction is that I would have preferred the physical buttons.

Post #634159 Fri Jul 07 2023 10:05am
JDPRRSUK

Pivi Pro voice control allows you to turn on/off heated seats, turn up/down temp etc….so no distraction having to look at screens.. Just a different approach to no switches. A bit like how smart home devices are going. We ‘talk’ to our Alexa at home to turn lights, heating etc on and off.

Post #634169 Sat Jul 08 2023 7:11am
AlM

Australia 

Hopefully Pivi Pro voice control is better than my MY21 Duo Touch version. Limited functionality and very rarely understands what is being requested. Chalk & cheese compared to Siri. MY21.5 HSE 221KW D16
Gone:
F15 30D X5
E70 30D X5
E53 30D X5
Jeep Grande Cherokee v8

Post #634170 Sat Jul 08 2023 7:27am
Riddler90

United Kingdom 

Anyone know when the new MY24's start going into build? I've got an October build and wondering what I'll get and if the dealer will inform me

Post #636098 Sat Sep 23 2023 7:52pm
MikeJG

United Kingdom 

MY24 has already started.

Post #636100 Sat Sep 23 2023 8:52pm
JDPRRSUK

MY24 started on 4th Sept. I was at the factory on 8th and all the tool changes had been done in summer shutdown for MY changes.

Post #636108 Sat Sep 23 2023 11:07pm
FastLaneJB

United Kingdom 

Just to say on the iPhone vs Android you need to consider not the overall global market but the markets that Land Rover is successful in and also the demographic. I’d be highly surprised if people that can afford a Range Rover, aren’t also much more likely to be an iPhone owner. In the US it’s the dominant phone, in the UK it’s 50 / 50 but in my circles I know almost no one with an Android. This was also the reason BMW’s supported CarPlay for many years before they bothered with Android Auto, they’d done research and most of the people that buy their cars new had an iPhone. It wasn’t worth their effort to do Android Auto at the time.

In terms of the controls vanishing. I’m fine with it, I like the knobs but it’s also the way the car market is going so Land Rover aren’t alone on this. It also reduces the parts required so they can help control costs and simplify the supply chain. These are extremely complex cars.

Post #636273 Sun Oct 01 2023 6:22pm
corny

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I wonder if MY24 will roll 4-wheel steering out across the entire RRS range. That would seem to be a real winner for on-road handling and car park manoeuvring. If I was buying new, I'd rather that than a louder radio.

Nope just the P550 and P530 have all wheel steer.

Great feature with real world practical advantages rather than gimmicks like massaging seats Silver TD6 HSE 07 07
Firenze Red TDV6 15 65
Portofino Blue TDV6 70 20
Firenze Red P510 72 22

Post #636470 Sat Oct 07 2023 5:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>