RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > IDCORE installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Rainbow

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White
IDCORE installation

I’ve recently completed the installation of the IDCORE CarPlay module into my 2015.5 model year RRS so I thought I would pass on how I found the installation process and usage experience. The unit arrived with instructions for a full fat RR, I was provided a link to download the correct instructions. The instructions advise removing the aircon controls and parts of the centre console. Removing the dashboard trim was straightforward. I found it impossible to remove the silver side trims from the console. I gave up on this but it turned out removing the aircon controls and centre console is not really necessary for my model year, cable access and routing is possible without removal. After this stage everything on the installation was relatively straightforward. A Torx bit was needed to remove the head unit and a socket for removal of panel bolts, so not all tools were supplied as implied on the website from where I purchased.
I did find the supplied Aux cable to be on the short side and had no slack. I had a longer spare cable which I routed under the centre console side panel, through a hole drilled in the bottom of the pen recess in the centre console cubby. There is a gap at the bottom of the side panel that allows the cable to be fed through from above and grabbed and then fed along towards the IDCORE unit, hiding the cable under the side panel. This results in no cables being visible. The IDCORE unit stows away above the footwell panel. This is an extremely tight fit and the only way I could get it to fit was to orient the unit with long dimension aligned front to rear.

In operation, I found it impossible to get the IDCORE unit to work for telephone calls via the provided mike. The receivers of calls reported the sound was extremely faint. The mike was checked independently and Siri would do voice to text translation fine. The support desk was not effective in resolving this issue. To me, this is a bug. The support contact proposed using the provided method to use the car microphone, which does work fine but it does then mean there are two Bluetooth audio connections and when starting up, the phone Bluetooth connection can be made to the car, rather than the CarPlay unit, resulting in no sound when using CarPlay, until you switch the iPhone back to connecting with CarPlay. This has been frustrating, initially, it appeared I could get ask Siri to change the output speaker but I have not been able to get this to work subsequently.

I have the Meridian surround system. The sound through the Aux connection path was initially picking up interference from other car electronics. This happens for direct feed from an iPad so it is not the IDCORE unit generating the interference. This has been addressed by installing a ground loop noise isolator inline and a ferrite choke. The interference is still there but reduced to a level that can only be heard when the volume is maxed out. In normal volumes I find it undetectable. I have seen reports that the rear speakers do not work but I found no issue, all speaker were operating.

There are some other considerations to be aware of:
* the road sign recognition system no longer uses info from the navigation system. So speed limit info is only displayed when the camera has identified a road sign. I use a satnav app from Sygic which can be configured to permanently display the current speed limit. Their Premium option is needed to get voice instructions. An advantage over Google and Apple nav is that maps can be downloaded.
* the nav system is fully disconnected so no junction information is displayed in the dash unit or in the heads-up display. Sygic does display this but of course this is only in the head unit display.
* the in car GPS antenna is no longer available so the iPhone gps is used for navigation. I have noticed the phone struggle with location at times. I have the climate control windscreen which may be reducing the signal available to the phone.
* the dashboard brightness control appears to be disconnected. Which means the head unit is very bright at night. Dark mode can be selected in the CarPlay settings and sat nav put on display which helps. The IDCORE brightness control settings do not help much here. (Update, this appears to be connected to the Range Rover “Stealth” setting for the display, if this is not set, the brightness controls work as expected.)
* I have the appalling paid for InControl apps systems, the Land Rover/Bosch pitiful attempt at a CarPlay equivalent. I have used the InControl usb connection to power the phone. I have had the CarPlay unit crash a couple of times. I note if the InControl button is pressed, CarPlay is invoked. It may be that there is some buggy interaction between the two systems.

So would I recommend this. On balance I would, it brings the infotainment system out of the dark ages. If I find the crashes I initially experienced recurrs, I will report back.

Post #626292 Fri Aug 26 2022 5:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1