RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 2012 - Odd Suspension Behaviour?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Sit

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red
2012 - Odd Suspension Behaviour?

So the car is running lovely, few gremlins to sort but that’s more my OCD than the fault of the car.

Anyway tonight I parked on the drive as I always do, our drive is on an incline but not silly. As I reversed on I selected access height as I always do when the wheels are moving slowly and it dropped. When I got out a bell chimed and it displayed something like ‘extended mode, press button for 3 seconds and brake pedal to adjust’ or something to that effect. Odd I thought, when I got out the rear jacked itself up?

I got back in started the car and it raised into normal, I selected access and down it went, when I got out and locked the car the back end jacked itself up again??

Totally confused - have I missed something, is it to do with the incline? I don’t really understand why it’s done it, I think it mentioned obstacle detected but it’s a pan flat driveway so not sure what it’s upto.

Any thoughts?

Si 2012 RRS HSE SDV6 - current
2006 911 Carrera convertible
2016 L200 Barbarian pickup
2010 RRS Lux
2008 E93 M3
2004 VX220 Turbo Stg 2
2010 E70 X5 30d M Sport
2006 Golf R32

Post #625692 Tue Jul 26 2022 9:46pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It happens because the system doesn't see the height drop quickly enough and assumes you've got an obstruction under the vehicle - what Yanks sometimes call being "high centred" but we call grounded. It then raises to extended mode to allow you to clear the obstruction. The "press button for 3 seconds..." message allows you to select super extended mode - basically the suspension goes as high as it physically can - again to help clear an obstruction. If you get the chance to use super extended mode, it's quite impressive to see the ground clearance available.

The cause can be numerous but includes a good old fashioned bit of electronic confusion or an issue with the compressor exhaust valve sticking and so not allowing air out of the suspension system to facilitate lowering. The system doesn't know why it can't lower, it just knows it's not happening correctly and so reacts.

If you have a suitable code reader, you should find an error message relating to the moment but it might not necessarily pin point the exact cause. If it happens more and more, suspect the compressor, if it's an occasional issue, I wouldn't worry too much. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #625698 Tue Jul 26 2022 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1