RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Service schedule/time query….
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MMCC

United Kingdom 
Service schedule/time query….

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm if the car has an internal calculation/algorithm that determines when the car needs serviced? It’s been around 8 months (and approx 5k miles) since my last service and I’ve now got a service required notification in the cars display when I start it up.

Would appreciate any constructive feedback that anyone could give.

Thanks

Mark

Post #624362 Thu May 19 2022 10:04pm
Turdmon

United Kingdom 

Quite happy to be corrected, but I think that happens when the vehicle is doing lots of short journeys and because it can’t do a proper regen, oil dilution occurs. Due to this, it is telling you to get a service (oil change) as the oil is getting past is useable life.

Post #624367 Fri May 20 2022 6:20am
MMCC

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback. I'm aware that the cars don't generally like to have only short journeys, so will take the car on a longer run (30-40mins at operating temp, usually on motorway) once or twice a week.

Would also appreciate any feedback regarding the work thats now required. Does the service notification mean that the oil needs to be changed or is there more to it than that alone?

Thanks

Mark

Post #624376 Fri May 20 2022 10:07am
MMCC

United Kingdom 

The last message should have read as "have been taking" in the past tense, rather than "will" . I've had the car for just short of 2 yrs and have had no issues with it whilst running it on longer runs reasonably frequently.

Post #624377 Fri May 20 2022 10:18am
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

This has happened to me several times - I take it to an Indy to have the oil changed - the reset gets rid of the "service now message" and restores the counter to what it was previously. There is a software fix too and mine has had it but I still get the message every 4 to 6 months due to my wife making small journeys - when I can, I try to do a long run at the weekends to helop with the regen, etc

Sadly, this is something I have had to live with , with the diesel car - going electric at end of the month...

P MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #624378 Fri May 20 2022 10:51am
Turdmon

United Kingdom 

I think both of you chaps have the same engine as me (2017 - 306bhp) and I’ll be honest, I have never had this warning. I have to say though, it never gets used for short journeys as we are fortunate that we have a little petrol mini for running about in.
Over the last year though due to various different reasons, it has not made as many long trips as I would like and this has been reflected in the service indicator in that it is displaying that it needs a service at 12k miles instead of the usual 16k. I’ve put this down to unfinished regens that are slowly diluting the oil.

Post #624382 Fri May 20 2022 11:52am
MMCC

United Kingdom 

gtr_skyline wrote:
This has happened to me several times - I take it to an Indy to have the oil changed - the reset gets rid of the "service now message" and restores the counter to what it was previously. There is a software fix too and mine has had it but I still get the message every 4 to 6 months due to my wife making small journeys - when I can, I try to do a long run at the weekends to helop with the regen, etc

Sadly, this is something I have had to live with , with the diesel car - going electric at end of the month...

P

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate you letting me know what you’ve done. I spoke to local main dealer who were unable to give me any useful information other than letting me know a service would be circa £600.

Post #624389 Fri May 20 2022 9:24pm
chrisjsw

United Kingdom 

Pretty much guaranteed to be oil dilution......take to an indy to confirm....its likely to be over 6% and so a simple oil and filter change should cure it......but get a diagnosis first and NOT from a dealer 2015 Range Rover Sport L494 HSE Dynamic
Works at an Indy in Herts

Post #624391 Fri May 20 2022 9:26pm
MMCC

United Kingdom 

Turdmon wrote:
I think both of you chaps have the same engine as me (2017 - 306bhp) and I’ll be honest, I have never had this warning. I have to say though, it never gets used for short journeys as we are fortunate that we have a little petrol mini for running about in.
Over the last year though due to various different reasons, it has not made as many long trips as I would like and this has been reflected in the service indicator in that it is displaying that it needs a service at 12k miles instead of the usual 16k. I’ve put this down to unfinished regens that are slowly diluting the oil.

Yes, mines is a 2016 306bhp and my circumstance’s have been similar to yours but as I mentioned previously I’ve ensured the car has had regular longer runs for regen purposes.

Post #624392 Fri May 20 2022 9:27pm
Turdmon

United Kingdom 

I can’t back this up and I’m only going on what I’ve read, but assuming the conditions are met and a regen is initiated half way through a half hour journey and it takes twenty mins, the excess fuel will still be added as the vehicle is slowed causing dilution.
I usually spend at least an hour on the motorway on a regular journey that I make, so it appears that I’m not really suffering too much with it., although like I say, I can’t back this up. Smile

Post #624403 Sat May 21 2022 9:33am
MMCC

United Kingdom 

Thanks for letting me know.

I had read somewhere (might’ve been pistonheads..?) someone saying that the regent journey had to be 40mins at operating temp, which at motorway speeds means something in the region of a 40mile or so trip.

Either way, I now need to get it addressed. So I’ll see how things go after that.

Thanks for all of the feedback above its very much appreciated.

Post #624414 Sat May 21 2022 7:26pm
Turdmon

United Kingdom 

Hope you get it resolved. Thumbs Up

Post #624422 Sun May 22 2022 9:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1