RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bonnet Not Closing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Bonnet Not Closing

Not the switch thing but neither side latches close after opening. I have to pish about with the latches and easing off the cables to get one side generally to work - if I'm really lucky I'll get both.

Is this the cable or just general wear/tear on the latches? The catches on both sides seem to spring back but they just don't engage when the other bonnet comes down. Any tips/tricks? I generally push them as far as I can to get the latch to engage & hope when closing they don't get pushed out the way. However, its getting a bit tedious now.

Post #623999 Mon May 02 2022 9:54am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

You can adjust the height of the catches which might help.

When mine did it, I found it was simply that the catch that wasn't latching was just dirty and dry and thus wouldn't latch. I gave it a clean up and applied a little lube (I think I used a silicone spray rather than an oil but it was a few months ago) and it helped immensely. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #624001 Mon May 02 2022 10:31am
woodsie

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Having to open & close my bonnet quite often at the moment to top up coolant whilst waiting for a new water pump, slight weep from gland, and w/p on back order since Jan!
I find that I always have to push the release handle back into position before the latches work.
Have posted before that I think the cable from the handle goes to the near side front wing where it joins the cable to the latches in a plastic box, but haven’t checked this out yet, perhaps some friction in this box causes the problem?
Cheers, Chris Neutral

Post #624008 Mon May 02 2022 3:27pm
Pufftmw

Woodsie, my understanding is that it is just one cable to the n/s latch from the handle and another cable to the o/s latch. Looking at eBay that certainly seems the case for 2nd hand latches.

On the subject of latches, more than happy to get a new one from eBay & fit it. However, you don't seem to be able to get just the latch without the anti-theft switch - is it the same latch for the n/s but just throw away the switch bit?

Post #624109 Mon May 09 2022 10:45am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The switches are so trouble some, have a spare or I'm sure you could sell it

Post #624111 Mon May 09 2022 11:55am
Pufftmw

Well, you learn something...

Got 2 latches off eBay as RRS & D3/4 latches, with switches & they arrived...

Firstly the switches aren't the same as the OE and appeared to be part of the latch, so both sides would have switches. Not a problem as the latches are the same both sides.

Fitted them (really easy) and tried it out - no worky Sad

Upon further inspection it appears that the OE latches have a longer "throw" for the part that releases the catch, so both new latches are not fit for purpose and will be going back. On playing with the OE ones, it was obvious that they were "ok" but that the cable is the item at fault here, as it won't return when lever is released. Is there a spring on the lever in the car? Something is clearly now not returning as intended, even if I push the lever in and the springs on the latches aren't man enough to move the cable through the entire length.

Post #624302 Mon May 16 2022 7:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1