RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > P400E HV heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

hoppy_70

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
P400E HV heater

Had a search and couldn't see much about this problem, which is odd, given that a Facebook group that I'm in (for the P400e) seems to talk about little else!

I bought this car approved used just under a couple of weeks ago, but have now returned it to the supplying dealer. It had a few issues when it arrived which all were a bit annoying (Clunky front suspension, software stuck in a loop, chipped windscreen etc).

I'd never had a pug in hybrid before so didn't really know anything was wrong, but seemingly this is a really common issue that has a service bulletin and parts are on back order (taking months).

When I first got it, I was a bit disappointed that the EV side of the drive didn't work as often as it should. It was using the petrol engine way more than it should and seeming pointless, given my six mile commute was running on mostly engine. I did a bit of research (very little in here that I could find) and found that the high voltage heater was a common fail. This would cause the car to run the engine, every time the water needed heating up. EV mode couldn't be switched on whilst heating was occurring which is at least 10 mins from start up, then frequently whilst driving.

I finally figured it out that when I turned off the climate altogether, it would work as it should. If I turned it back on, the engine would start. I Spoke to the dealer who initially tried fobbing me off but given the other problems I just wasn't prepared to wait months for it to be sorted out (whilst I drove round in a tinny 2.0 petrol!).

Don't get me wrong, when its working it really is 400bhp and goes like a scalded cat, but once the battery runs out (or in my case stops working!) its a bit rubbish.

Luckily I had bought the car unseen so had the distance selling rules to protect me (return without reason within 14 days). Wanted to post this so other P400e users could spot their own problems. I reckon there are hundred out there that think the engine is SUPPOSED to run regularly. It isn't and should run on EV mode until it runs out, or you floor and need the petrol engine for power (or outside temp is -4).

Get it scanned if unsure, or at least try turning off the climate to see if the engine stops. Take care folks, now looking for a "trusty" diesel Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge
 Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY
Range Rover sport HSE Dynamic P400e Silver
Range Rover Sport 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic 2016 MY
Range Rover sport 3.6tdv8HSE 2007 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2005 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2007 honey
Range rover Vogue 2005 4.4 - GONE and missed
BMW 535d M sport 2006 - GONE not as missed
BMW X5 4.4 2004 sport - GONE

Post #623474 Sat Apr 09 2022 6:57pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

That's a shame, mine is running beautifully.

All my local trips up to 25 miles or so have been on pure EV and surprised to hear that the EV battery is heating the water.
Is it not a heat pump? I thought it was more sophisticated than heating water because I have heat almost instantly and certainly does not start the engine.

Good luck on search for a diesel. Do you have a link to the Facebook group? 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #623476 Sat Apr 09 2022 9:50pm
hoppy_70

I’m no expert but that’s how it gets described. There’s a tsb below that says 2020 on, but it seems to affect all, including the FFRR P400e.

Fb group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/395237291261251/?ref=share

Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY

Post #623504 Sun Apr 10 2022 4:40pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: P400E HV heater

hoppy_70 wrote:

I bought this car approved used just under a couple of weeks ago, but have now returned it to the supplying dealer. It had a few issues when it arrived which all were a bit annoying (Clunky front suspension, software stuck in a loop, chipped windscreen etc).

This is a LR main dealer, presumably, as it's approved used. I'd be sending some messages to LR Customer Services. It won't help you, but it might mean the next person that buys it gets a better condition vehicle.

LR main dealers are absolutely terrible. They give LR a bad name and until LR gets their finger out and sorts out the network, they'll be saddled with the reputation of being expensive, unreliable, junk.

Evil or Very Mad 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #623509 Sun Apr 10 2022 7:03pm
Cunny678

hoppy_70 wrote:

I finally figured it out that when I turned off the climate altogether, it would work as it should. If I turned it back on, the engine would start. I Spoke to the dealer who initially tried fobbing me off but given the other problems I just wasn't prepared to wait months for it to be sorted out (whilst I drove round in a tinny 2.0 petrol!).

Thanks for the post. This has just happened to me and is exactly as described. Hopefully the dealer will take notice of my comments when I book it in. Luckily I bought the extended warranty Smile

Post #629621 Wed Jan 04 2023 2:52pm
Cunny678

Also, another test to confirm the problem is the cabin pre heat doesn't work on the remote App.

Post #629622 Wed Jan 04 2023 2:58pm
hoppy_70

Cunny678 wrote:
hoppy_70 wrote:

Thanks for the post. This has just happened to me and is exactly as described. Hopefully the dealer will take notice of my comments when I book it in. Luckily I bought the extended warranty Smile

I’d scan it and show them the code if they’re resisting. I hear if so many where they say it’s just how they are supposed to be because they know the parts are in short supply. Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY

Post #629722 Sat Jan 07 2023 11:45pm
Cunny678

New heater fitted at dealership which has resolved the issue. They say it would have cost appox £1k so the extended warranty has paid for itself almost. Very Happy

Post #630720 Thu Feb 09 2023 2:31pm
KWS

Lots on here about HV heater problems so apologies for raising something linked to that but I haven’t been able to find a post that addresses my specific issue… I’ve recently had to have the HV battery (and wiring loom) replaced in my 2019 RRS P400e - purchased, approved used, from our LR main dealer last Summer. Thankfully it’s all been done on warranty, albeit it took 4 (winter!) months and three visits to complete. The replacement has fixed an auto start/stop fault, the car’s insistence on running the engine over EV, and part fixed its climate control heating - which has finally started working, but only on the passenger side! My issue is that the vents are still pumping out just cold air on the driver’s side, which is a misery in this weather (heated seat and steering wheel help but it’s genuinely painful around lower legs/feet). Service manager has tried fobbing me off with excuses about A/C focusing on the driver and can only recommend turning auto climate off and running only fan and high heat to try and warm the cabin! In desperation I’ve tried this but it still only slightly improves the heat coming out of the passenger vents, with driver’s side still blowing as cold as the air outside. Has anyone experienced anything similar with their climate after getting the HV battery replaced, or have any idea why one side is now trying to heat the car whilst the other is blasting out cold?.. 🥶🥶🥶

Post #631551 Sat Mar 11 2023 11:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1