RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fuel Pre Heater problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

andrew kennedy

France 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Maya Gold
Fuel Pre Heater problem

2006 Sport. The fuel Pre Heater has been misbehaving so on the last service the electrical supply was disconnected. However I am getting signs of fuel spillage when parking up after a drive. Perhaps I should be looking to block its fuel supply off?!? I have been quoted £888.00 for a replacement Pre Heater!!!! Andrew Kennedy

Post #622460 Sat Mar 05 2022 9:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,

take it the FBH you would be better off trying to get it fixed than disconnecting as it helps the engine get up to and stay at temp, have a look over on D3 as a WHOLE section on about the FBH Exclamation

they can be stripped and cleaned, if you have a possible fuel leak check the supply pipe near to the FBH it goes hard and cracks easy fix to change that.

you can spend many hours playing with them mind Big Cry

better to be working than not Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #622481 Sat Mar 05 2022 10:03pm
andrew kennedy

Many thanks riverblanche for feed back. Could you explain your suggestion " have a look over on D3" Not sure what that refers to? Understand your point about better to have the Fuel Pre-Heater working. I don't feel confident enough to strip the unit down myself but hopefully after looking at the section you are suggesting I look at, that might change! Andrew Kennedy

Post #622491 Sun Mar 06 2022 11:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/webasto-fue...-vf96.html

Post #622492 Sun Mar 06 2022 11:38am
andrew kennedy

Thanks Andy K. I've looked at the information on the link you gave me........trying to sort out what might be the problem is above my capability. I'm coming over to the UK in May and will purchase a new Pre-Heater. Andrew Kennedy

Post #622498 Sun Mar 06 2022 12:40pm
Andy K

1. Where is the fuel spillage ?

2. Are all 3? of its electric connectors, removed ?

3. There is a joint near the wheel arch which supplies fuel to the heater, maybe that ? Has been known to fail.

4. Fuel leak unrelated the FBH ?

5. That's a lot of investment for a new heater

Post #622506 Sun Mar 06 2022 3:31pm
andrew kennedy

Andy - No not all electrical connections have been separated. Looking in from the top, only the one on the top left has been taken out? Tomorrow I will look at the pipe and exactly where the leak seems to be coming from. Andrew Kennedy

Post #622508 Sun Mar 06 2022 5:02pm
Andy K

The big connector should be removed if it’s faulty. From memory

Post #622511 Sun Mar 06 2022 6:31pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi

as Andy shows Thumbs Up from the main RRS forum page if you have a look at the bottom of the page there are also the other forums for D3, FL2, epokes, FFRR ect. The D3 has the thread section as Andys linked

hopefully we are talking about the same part, as its not a Fuel Pre Heater But a Fuel Burning Heater that heats the coolant system Thumbs Up

fuel leak could be the 5-6mm fuel hose that attaches to the FBH they get brittle and split/leak

if you have had problems with it already bit surprised it has not "locked out" already, what problem have you had with it to unplug it?

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #622519 Sun Mar 06 2022 9:30pm
andrew kennedy

Hi riverblanche. Thanks for the input!! You are quite right, it's the Fuel Burning Heater that's causing the problem! The problem being in the cold weather it can omit a tremendous amount of smoke and leaves a deposit of unburned fuel on the 'ground emanating form its exhaust pipe. I purchased a used one from a later model from a breaker in the UK. Total cost was £84.00 with postage plus import duty - it didn't work so the original one was put back (there isn't a fuel leak, I think it was just a residue of fuel in the system when the old one was put back). At present the the electrical connection is disconnected. I have had the car (2006 Sport) since new. It hasn't done 100,000 miles yet and I'm keen to keep it in good order - if I have to buy a new Burner I will but is you have any suggestions as to what I can do to free up or clean it out........do please let me know. Andrew Kennedy

Post #622543 Mon Mar 07 2022 11:02am
Andy K

If the replacement was from a later model, maybe you need to swap the PCB over.

Ask them over on D3

Post #622547 Mon Mar 07 2022 1:18pm
andrew kennedy

Unfortunately Andy the second hand one was binned after finding it didn't work. James Barrington is the The Land Rover garage over here. He is extremely knowable and he could see before they put the second hand one on that it looked as though it wasn't going to work - overheated at some time. I'm temped to connect the original one up in this cold weather but if its spitting out unburned fuel...possible dangerous? Andrew Kennedy

Post #622549 Mon Mar 07 2022 1:42pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I had the same issue with mine,, spitting out excess fuel from the exhaust. I unplugged all of the cables from it to disable it as the weather at the time was getting warmer. I managed to get a new set of seals then took it out and partially stripped it down,, didn't want to dismantle the electrode etc as some of the washers on the burner cup are not available to buy,,, and are very fragile. Settled for cleaning out the burner cup and Petit all back together and after a couple of false starts it's worked fine since. If that hadn't of worked I was going to buy a new burner module which is basically the heart of the unit,,,, I think it was Rimmer bros that have them at £150 or thereabouts. This gives you a new fuel cup, ignition electrode, sensor. Other thing to make sure is that the bowl is not choked with soot / carbon as this stops the unit from burning properly.
Nothing to stop you plugging yours in and fire it up from the remote to see if it lights. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #622566 Mon Mar 07 2022 10:43pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,

did a quick search on the D3 forum for you and this is worth reading
mentions the the thinks we have suggested already, plus more explanations Thumbs Up

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/fbh-aspirat...ak+exhaust

. Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #622567 Mon Mar 07 2022 11:24pm
andrew kennedy

gogsy1956 wrote:
I had the same issue with mine,, spitting out excess fuel from the exhaust. I unplugged all of the cables from it to disable it as the weather at the time was getting warmer. I managed to get a new set of seals then took it out and partially stripped it down,, didn't want to dismantle the electrode etc as some of the washers on the burner cup are not available to buy,,, and are very fragile. Settled for cleaning out the burner cup and Petit all back together and after a couple of false starts it's worked fine since. If that hadn't of worked I was going to buy a new burner module which is basically the heart of the unit,,,, I think it was Rimmer bros that have them at £150 or thereabouts. This gives you a new fuel cup, ignition electrode, sensor. Other thing to make sure is that the bowl is not choked with soot / carbon as this stops the unit from burning properly.
Nothing to stop you plugging yours in and fire it up from the remote to see if it lights.

Thanks for the info!!!! I think I'll take out fuse 28 and get my local LL guy have a look at the various post. Andrew Kennedy

Post #622587 Tue Mar 08 2022 1:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1