RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > When should I be concerned about my turbos?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Josh95

Northern Ireland 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black
When should I be concerned about my turbos?

I apologise for spamming this forum, yet again. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on people’s turbos blowing and I’m just wondering when should I start to be concerned about mine? It’s not going to the mechanic until March to get a few things done. Can I ask them to look at them when it’s in just to check if everything is ok or would it be even worth it if the whole entire thing has to come off for them to look at it?

The car is at 104,000 miles and to my knowledge has not had any issues with the turbos *touch wood*. Is this something that happens in all of these vehicles at some point or not?

Post #621014 Sun Jan 16 2022 11:17pm
Nilrem280

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Nara Bronze

My independent said other than regular oil changes there's nothing you can do to prevent turbo failure.

Post #621016 Sun Jan 16 2022 11:39pm
peterjj

Australia 

Might not be able to prevent the turbos wearing out but here is one check to stop a slowly leaking turbo oil seal from taking out the whole engine.
Take the bottom intercooler hoses off and check for oil build up in the bottom of the intercooler at each service. Right hand side will normally have a smear of oil from the crankcase ventilation. Either side dripping with oil is probably worn turbo, time to plan for new turbo sometime in future. Lots of oil in bottom of intercooler, don't drive without draining the oil and check and drain more often. If the bottom of the intercooler has a big pool of oil, one day you accelerate quickly, engine takes a gulp of oil, one cylinder decides it can't do the compression stroke, things break.
This is only one way a turbo can wear, other issues would have different symptoms.
My tdv8 was not using any oil between services, not smoking, then one day did this Sad Changing turbos would have been cheaper than changing what was a perfectly good engine.
Also, don't get job done by cheapest quote. One of my 'new' turbos destroyed itself 30,000km later. Lucky it didn't take out the rest of the engine this time. Big Cry Pete
2008 L320 TDV8
2022 Hilux Rugged-X

Post #621017 Mon Jan 17 2022 12:16am
MartinsTDV8

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

You can ‘look after’ your turbos though.

Let them cool down after a run. Sit at idle for 20-30 seconds and they will be cooler, and then switch off.

I have a long slow reverse up a driveway after a fast run, so that works for me Thumbs Up Previously owned 1999 Disco 2 TD5
Disco 3 HSE TDV6 2007
Gone 2007 TDV8 RRS1 in Buckingham Blue.

How do know if the knocking at the front has been sorted?

You can hear the knocking at the rear better

Post #621096 Wed Jan 19 2022 12:38pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The TDV8's turbo issues are down to the space in the engine bay being too small so the turbos are mounted lower than would otherwise be ideal. This requires additional plumbing to get oil back to the sump etc. in situations where extreme side angles are encountered - admittedly not that likely for most RRSs but LR designed it to be a working off road vehicle, not a driveway queen.

The TDV6/SDV6 doesn't have this issue so far as I understand it, so just normal turbo care should be sufficient. That is, don't just switch off the engine as soon as you park but let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute. This lets the turbos spool down and the oil cool the bearings a bit.

My old TDV8 needed new turbos at less than 70k miles (I bought it at 45k miles so no idea how it was treated earlier in its life), but the replacement turbos were still going strong over 100k miles later when I sold the vehicle with over 175k miles on the clock.

My current SDV6 now has 127k miles on it having been bought at around 50k miles. The chap I bought it from is a forum member and likes his cars/LRs so had looked after it. I hope the turbos will last for many miles yet. Touch wood. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #621100 Wed Jan 19 2022 4:54pm
Josh95

Northern Ireland 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thanks for this!

I've been letting it idle for a bit anyway before turning off the ignition.

Post #621119 Wed Jan 19 2022 11:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1