Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > P400e OWNERS. SIZE OF YOUR PETROL TANK QUESTION
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rrsfan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
P400e OWNERS. SIZE OF YOUR PETROL TANK QUESTION

Hello All

I came back from along trip a few days back and when I got to the petrol station it was showing 16 miles left in the tank. I read the digital manual and it states that the petrol tank should be 91 litres but when I filled up the tank it only allowed me to fill approx 70 litres right to the top.

If the needle was showing 16 miles left in the tank surely that does not equate to about 20 litres should it ?

I also did about 31-32mpg and after filling up it only gave me a range of about 320 miles. Can certain optional accessories reduce the size of the fuel tank or can any member shed any light on this ?

On a side note because I rarely use the petrol engine I opted for the 99ron as I thought that leaving better quality fuel in the tank long term is better for the car and was also surprised that Tesco's 99 Ron is only a few pence more expensive than the regular unleaded so worth it to pay the extra few pennies for the better fuel. Any P400e members out there who hardly use the petrol engine who can tell me if I am right in leaving the tank full ?

Thanks in advance to those who reply !

Post #619140 Sat Nov 13 2021 3:42pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Its a coincidence that you posted this because I was wondering the same thing about the supposed 91 litre capacity tank on my full fat FFRR P400e which I've been running for just over a year. I get about 24mpg from the petrol engine after the battery is down to zero charge and that should be equivalent to a max 480 mile range or over 500 miles if the battery is charged. I've never seen more than about 350-360 mile range indicated on the dashboard after filling the car to the brim or about 390 miles if the battery is charged. I can't help feeling that L-R are telling porkies about the actual fuel tank capacity in the P400e. That in itself wouldnt be a surprise because usually the fuel tank capacity is reduced in PHEVS because so much space is taken up by the batteries. Also my 24mpg figure above is what is shown on the dashboard and its also possible that this figure is very optimistic and the car is in reality doing 18mpg on petrol engine alone Rolling Eyes

With regard to high octane fuel, I always try to use the highest grade of petrol or diesel in all my cars (and bikes). I just feel that the engine does give a bit more power and runs a bit smoother. Of course I may be deluding myself!

Post #619178 Mon Nov 15 2021 12:57pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

The most my fatty P400e has taken has been 81.75 litres. I did not record the miles left on the trip computer but given that is highly subjective, and liable to err on the side of caution, and the fact I don’t like to run on empty, I don’t foresee a class action against JLR and fuel tank mis-selling anytime soon!

I honestly don’t think car manufacturers ever tell porkies. Whistle L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #620232 Thu Dec 23 2021 10:26pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

it's not porkies, the range calculation on the LR models is super-pessimistic!

I have the same issue in my SCV8 - it has a 105L tank, and the most I've ever managed to get in there is 92L, and that was driving past when the range dropped to 0.

by my calculations in my vehicle, when driving at 120kmh there is still +-15L in the tank when I hit 0km range - which is enough for at least another 100km. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #620242 Fri Dec 24 2021 7:49am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Just FYI I had my RR P400e remapped by DMS last week and it has made an appreciable difference to the driving experience. Not only has the weedy little 4 cyl engine had a significant boost in power and torque but the throttle response is now faster. Just my personal opinion but I think it has turned a car which was borderline unpleasant to drive into something which is more enjoyable

Post #620259 Fri Dec 24 2021 4:04pm
R22Flyer

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

i would not believe the range,gauge, i have had my p400e for 18 months covered 6500 miles and only on my 5th tank of fuel, i think the fuelly app thinks i’m not logging the mileage, I find with half a tank of fuel the range drops by about 50 miles then jumps back up again even if the petrol engine has not started, I last filled mid sept is now Jan and done about 1000 miles on the half tank which was a 200 mile trip, then all local stuff, I love the economy, charge at work, drive home and back to work and charge again etc, the fuel type is a matter of opinion, 99 Ron is E5 (5%) so has less ethanol so i believe the ethanol evaporates over time so 99 Ron has less to lose than the 95 Ron which is now E10 (10%) they use the ethanol to increase the octane rating, I think i would use the 99 Ron as it sits in the tank for a while, I have to use it on my 2008 Bentley Arnage as E10 would damage the engine and rot the rubber pipes etc. However all being said i only really use the electric EV mode for my slow 20mph 6 mile drive to work. Tesla Model Y - 2023
RRS 3 Autobiography P440e 2023 - Order Cancelled
RRS Autobiography P400e 2020 - White
Bentley 2008 Arnage 6.75L V8 - Fountain Blue
Lexus NX300h 2019 Red - Sold
Lexus RX450h 2016 Red - Sold
RRS HSE MY12, SDV6, Orkney Grey - Sold
RR Evoque, Prestige Lux, Owned 1 week and Gone
Lexus RX450h, Silver
BMW X6, 3.5D Red, LOL
RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Post #620788 Mon Jan 10 2022 9:49pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

The P400e tank is pressurised which apparently solves the fuel ageing issue. But I also only use 99 fuel… this high ethanol fuel is performantly inferior by definition so I’d rather pay extra. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #621213 Sun Jan 23 2022 2:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1