RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > 3.6TDv8 non start findings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

HF-Martini

United Kingdom 
3.6TDv8 non start findings

Ok, so this thread is for anyone with, as it says, the Ford Lion 3.6 TDV8 that cranks over seemingly ok but refuses to start.
I bought my 2008 (sorry, its a L322 not sport) RR just over a year ago now with a known non start fault, very low miles (84k) full JLR history and very well looked after, dare I say, mollycoddled, its in lovely condition inside and out.
This is a medium long read but I think very informative if you’ve got similar symptoms.
I’ll be as brief as possible for this, and any thoughts or questions please do add your comments below.

Picked up from Inchcape in Kings Lynn as a non starter,
Advised original owner ran out of funds to continue after they (Inchcape) had done the following,
Removed/steamed fuel tank as small amount of silt found in tank?
New genuine in tank lift pump & fuel level senders
New genuine fuel filter + housing
New genuine high pressure fuel lines from HP pump to rails

Still non start, Inchcape “think it could be injectors all failed” (their words not mine)

Since purchase I’ve done this, not necessarily in this order though.

New Bosch S5 110a battery
Found failed seal on VCV in HP pump, fit genuine Siemens seal kit, then found PCV suspect.
Replaced HP fuel pump with re-man unit from Merlin Diesel (cost of PCV more than half of reman HP Pump, no brainier really)
Replaced cam shaft sensor (pattern part)
Replaced crank shaft sensor (pattern part)
Replaced fuel rail pressure sensor (genuine Siemens)
All eight injectors removed and checked/serviced,
X3 injectors replaced as failed insulation test, replaced with re-man units
Replaced instrument cluster as found to be failing (if battery disconnected and re connected dash drops out completely for approx 4 hrs, then appears to wake without faults, replace instrument cluster and everything works strait away.
I’ve got a mongoose interface and running JLR SDD, after initial faults of things like PCV and fuel rail pressure faults cleared now has no faults in recommendations once gone through the symptoms, also running Bosch ESi-Tronic and no faults aside from spurious logged fault in immobiliser of crank shaft signal stuck closed, that’s a new one on me, have ran oscilloscope on crank and cam sensors, crank has good wave form, cam not so certain, also don’t appear to be getting pulse to injectors, glow plugs appear to be working as drawing 25amp when tricked with power probe (de-pined from edc)
According to JLR-SDD system does have pilot pressure at rails, and is seeing engine speed signal but unable to determine if it’s reading crank or cam signal.
Believe the replaced instrument cluster is married to system ok as not showing any faults and once system working ok believe it has updated the engine ecu successfully too.

Since that I’ve fitted a genuine Bosch cam shaft sensor as the scope reading was a little squiffy, still the same.
Stripped off the top side and removed the EGR’s as I was advised if they stick open that’ll prevent it from starting, no, all good and bench tested, working as should.

Finally, I had a chat with a chap down Hoddesdon way, and just before we parted he asked if I’d physically checked the turbos?
To be honest, no, after all I’ve had no pressure build up in the crank case, after cranking I can pull the oil filler cap off and there’s no pressure release, I’ve seen a couple of threads suggesting that issue, but not had a similar issue,
So, back underneath, pulled the intermediate pipe off the NS turbo, oh nuts, the impeller is hanging out of the casing and jammed solid too, not good, now to try and remove and replace the turbos without a two poster.
Oh, and just to rub salt into the wounds, where I’ve been cranking and cranking the oil has basically peed past the core and started to fill the induction pipes low side, thankfully as it wouldn’t fire its not thrown oil all the way up to the plenum.

In short, with mine at least, all seems clear and the engine is ready to start but cant as it cant exhaust the, well, the exhaust gases, may as well stick a spud up the pipes. Current Project
2008 Range Rover Vogue HSE TDV8 84000mls
non start issues

Weekender
1988 Lancia Delta HF Turbo ie

Daily drive
2014 VW Caddy Maxi 1.6 CRTDI

Post #620652 Fri Jan 07 2022 6:47pm
Stewartb

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Excellent information, I will check some of these points mentioned on my tdv8 which is currently cranking and will not start.
Did you managed to replace the turbo's without the two poster? Daily drive - Mercedes E350CDI AMG Coupe

Post #620653 Fri Jan 07 2022 6:58pm
Hightimo

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hello I’ve just removed the driver side turbo on my L320 TDV8 without a ramp or removing body. Is a bit tricky but is doable - just need to get it up in the air on axle stands and then remove the top suspension arm - and a lot of other heat sheilds etc .
Mine had failed oil seals - done 140 k on original though

Post #620666 Sat Jan 08 2022 1:32pm
Stewartb

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Thanks for the information and good to know it can be done, I’m just hoping mine is the CKP. 🙏 Daily drive - Mercedes E350CDI AMG Coupe

Post #620676 Sat Jan 08 2022 7:07pm
HF-Martini

United Kingdom 

That’s encouraging, thanks for the info, from everywhere I’ve read it seemed the body had to come off for the sport, guess not everyone’s right eh.
Well, it gives me a bit more impetus to get back to trying to remove mine.
Did you change all the oil feed lines etc, or just the turbos?
Also, did you fit re-man units or get yours re-built, where from? And roughly what cost?
Ive found prices ranging from £450 a pair (very poor reviews mind) right up to £750 each for re-man,

Cheers my friend

HF Current Project
non start issues

Weekender

Daily drive

Post #620683 Sat Jan 08 2022 10:30pm
Hightimo

Hello - l’ve just replaced the drivers side turbo alone so far as that was the only one which had failed - checked oil feed pipe pipe - all ok - done fuel filter - oil and filter change - air filter etc - also worth pulling the lower hoses off the inter cooler - mine must have been half full with engine oil looking at how much came out , and you need to try and clean as much up as you can …. But let’s be honest it will smoke a bit on first run four to how much oil is in the general system!… currently waiting for my battery to charge as ran it flat trying to pull fuel through after fitting new filter . Now know there a bleed value under the bonnet so fingers crossed it should be running tomorrow!?!?

I’ve added a couple of pics of new turbo fitted - the the bad one is oil pouring out of bottom intercooler hose !

Post #620786 Mon Jan 10 2022 9:19pm
Hightimo

Ns turbo is meant to be easier to get at but you have to drop the prop shaft off and the top suspension arm to get in there ….. oh and you could do with some small hands, flexible arms and and good selection of spanners and sockets !

Post #620787 Mon Jan 10 2022 9:32pm
HF-Martini

United Kingdom 

Excellent, thanks for the info, really does help.
So far I’ve got the near side turbo physically unbolted and flopping about but haven’t got it out of the tight spot it’s in, don’t know if I need to drop the prop or not or is just on the sport?, kinda hoping if I tilt the engine it’ll drop out.
And as for the other side, we’ll, I’ve not gotten round to dropping the intermediate pipe off on that side yet, Sod’s law it’ll be goosed too.
Well, I’ll try and have another go at the weekend and see where we get to,
The day it fires up will be a happy day indeed.
Keep us posted my friend. Current Project
non start issues

Weekender

Daily drive

Post #620793 Mon Jan 10 2022 10:55pm
Hightimo

I’ve got the drivers side one all done and new one fitted - been in the ns one today - got one lower bracket bolt left to get off and it should be out …….. do you reckon the prop needs to come off - I had to drop the gearbox crossmember to get the exhaust out earlier but straight forward enough ….. hoping I can wriggle it out without removing the prop! I thought I’d get away with just the one turbo as the exhaust side of the ns one was dry - however while cranking to start up after fitting the os one it managed to pump 2.5 ltr of oil into the intercooler - so that confirmed the ns one is goosed too ! Ns turbo should arrive tomorrow and hopefully - weather pending I should have it back on come end of day Friday !

Post #620878 Wed Jan 12 2022 9:40pm
Hightimo

Have you removed the studs from the turbo to manifold ? I found it a lot easier to wriggle out with them gone - think they were on a small torx drive on the top ?

Post #620880 Wed Jan 12 2022 9:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1