RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Stiff gear selector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Simon_CSK

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Stiff gear selector

I have been replacing the main wiring loom of a 2007 car over the last two months. Having stripped out the dash and replaced all the ecu's as a precaution.
The car was subject of an engine fire.
I needed to strip out the centre console and gear lever and in replacing them it would appear that I have run the selector cable incorrectly as the change is not full and the selector needs effort to put in the drive position and will not stay there. WHen I checked the selector against one of my other cars everything is correctly positioned.
Am looking for Idead as the only thing I have done is take the selector out and put it back in again. Current cars
Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8
Range Rover TDV8 Vogue
Range Rover P38 Vogue
Range Rover CSK
Discovery 3 HSE

Post #619859 Thu Dec 09 2021 2:49pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Not totally sure, but have a vague recollection of something like this being mentioned before and could be something to do with a bush or linkage seizing up down by the selector lever on the transmission itself. I could possibly be way of the mark though

Cheers
Col

Post #619869 Thu Dec 09 2021 9:12pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

It's more than likely the gear selector locking bolt. These are known to seize up and make the selection of gears on the lever stiff.

The best thing to do is undo the locking nut (HN2) and pull the cable out of the locking bolt (HB1). Now jump in the car and move the lever backwards & forwards to see if the cable is free. Is it does move freely, then the selector link is the problem.

Undo the nut (HN1) and take the link (7210) off. Now just clean all the parts, apply a little cooper slip and reassemble. Fit the link (7210) back on the box and connect the cable, but don't lock it up yet. Jump in the car and switch the ignition to see what position the dash display is saying the gearbox is in (D-N-R-P). Now move the gear lever position to match the display if required. Back under the car now lock the nut (HN2). Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Joe

Post #619875 Fri Dec 10 2021 10:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1