RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Oil Dilution Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

chrisjsw

United Kingdom 
Oil Dilution Question

Sorry guys but not come across this before.

My service is due Feb 2022 but the service message popped up a week ago. I spoke to the indy who looks after my car and they say its likely due to oil dilution going over 6%.

Obviously I'll get the oil and filter changed asap but do I need to do a lot of driving in order to avoid this?

Mine is a 2015 L494 which has only just covered 26k miles.

TIA

Chris 2015 Range Rover Sport L494 HSE Dynamic
Works at an Indy in Herts

Post #618828 Sun Nov 07 2021 12:00pm
Coedlan

United Kingdom 

Similar age car to you, 40k miles, annual service due around end of December. The App just flagged up that the car needs service and to book asap. The car dashboard, however tells me I’m still 1800 miles off an oil service and 5k off an adblu top up.
I have done my own intermediate oil change (without any ecu oil service re-set) in July, so I know the oil should be OK. So I’ll book for mid December if possible.
The car has an oil dilution algorithm that judges oil dilution based on driving style, engine run times and successful or failed regenerations. My wife, unfortunately, drives a fair number of short journeys with stops and starts, which isn’t good for the DPF and hence oil dilution. I’d get the oil changed asap, it’s dead easy with a vacuum tank, and then have the regular service in Feb or later 2016 L494 HSE

Post #618837 Sun Nov 07 2021 8:42pm
chrisjsw

United Kingdom 

My local indy, Langley 4x4, checked and it was at 7% and so they changed they oil and filter for me on the spot.

If you are anywhere near, or even if you aren't, Langley 4x4 in Kings Langley, Herts are absolutely spot-on for customer service, can't fault their service or knowledge. 2015 Range Rover Sport L494 HSE Dynamic
Works at an Indy in Herts

Post #618874 Mon Nov 08 2021 11:53am
Kitchenfitter

United Kingdom 

Had it pop up once on my dec 2015 but not again ?
I was doing a 2hr each way drive with a 5 min stop (engine still running)

Post #618881 Mon Nov 08 2021 1:28pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

Got the same issue on my wife's RRS MY 2016 - service was done in May 2021, now saying service due - booked in with Beadles Watford - apparently the LR used car warranty no lonnger covers this - I had about 3 oil and filter changes done in the past under warranty.

Prashan MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #618892 Mon Nov 08 2021 2:56pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

chrisjsw wrote:
My local indy, Langley 4x4, checked and it was at 7% and so they changed they oil and filter for me on the spot.

If you are anywhere near, or even if you aren't, Langley 4x4 in Kings Langley, Herts are absolutely spot-on for customer service, can't fault their service or knowledge.

Thanks Chris - just spoke to Roy and booked mine in for Friday - seemed far more knowledgeable and willing to help than a LR dealer. Roy will also check if the car has some associated software updates as part of the quote for an oil and filter change and whilst you wait service - 30 min job.

Wished I'd listened to other members in the group to take it to Langley 4x4 in the past.

Thanks again
Prashan MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #618895 Mon Nov 08 2021 3:33pm
Heremyjill

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Lots of posts about this issue and so I have picked one to show an article received yesterday from Range Rover World with their adverts removed:

Dear Range Rover Enthusiasts,

We hope this message finds you well. At Range Rover World, we are committed to ensuring the peak performance and longevity of your beloved vehicles. Today, we bring to your attention a critical issue affecting all Range Rovers, particularly those with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs).
The Core Problem: Oil Dilution in Range Rovers

Our research, in collaboration with the Oil Lab, has uncovered a significant challenge in Range Rover models, particularly those equipped with the SDV6 and SDV8 engines. The root of the issue lies in the DPF regeneration process, where additional fuel is injected during the exhaust stroke. This method, while necessary for the DPF's functionality, inadvertently allows fuel to seep past the piston rings, contaminating the engine's oil.

Startling Discovery: Viscosity Deterioration
Our intensive testing revealed alarming results. A standard SDV6 oil sample, expected to maintain a 5W30 Synthetic oil grade, degraded to a 5W15 grade after just 4,000 miles of usage. This drastic drop in viscosity compromises the oil's protective and lubricating properties, endangering the engine's internal components.

The Experiment: Seeking Solutions
In our pursuit of a remedy, we conducted an intriguing experiment. After switching the oil in SDV6 and SDV8 models to a 5W40 grade and repeating the 4,000-mile test, the oil's degradation was noticeably reduced, maintaining a 5W30 spec even after an extended 8,000-mile run. Replicating this test across multiple vehicles consistently yielded similar results.

Our Conclusion: A Vital Recommendation
The findings are clear: both the SDV6 and SDV8 engines suffer from severe oil dilution. Our forensic analysis strongly recommends transitioning to a 5W40 C1 Edge or equivalent oil for maximum engine life preservation. Additionally, this oil grade showed a significant reduction in metal particles compared to the 5W30 oil when diluted, indicating better engine protection and reduced metal-on-metal contact.
Immediate Action for Range Rover Owners

Immediate Action for Range Rover Owners

Given the prevalence of engine failures in the Land Rover community due to oil dilution, we urge owners, especially those using the standard 5W30 oil, to consider more frequent oil changes – every 6,000 miles. Alternatively, removing the DPF could provide a more permanent solution to this issue. We understand the importance of your Range Rover's performance and reliability. As such, we are dedicated to keeping you informed and providing solutions to enhance your driving experience. To continue reading and for more details on our findings and recommendations click below.

In light of our recent findings on oil dilution issues in SDV6 and SDV8 engines, we at Range Rover World are taking proactive steps to assist our valued community of Range Rover enthusiasts. We strongly encourage owners to consider booking a service to address this critical issue. A professional service ensures your vehicle receives the attention and care it needs, with the right oil grade to maintain engine health and performance.

The research and findings presented by Range Rover World have been independently conducted in collaboration with the Oil Lab. While we stand firmly behind our recommendations based on the data and tests we have performed, it is important to acknowledge that our suggestions may not align with the official stance of Land Rover. As passionate Range Rover enthusiasts, we believe in sharing our knowledge and findings with the community. However, these should be considered as recommendations based on our independent research, and vehicle owners should make informed decisions regarding the maintenance of their vehicles.

Stay safe and enjoy your journey.

Warm regards,

Range Rover World Team
 "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB
Now 2018MY Ford Fiesta ST Line 140bhp
Gone 2006MY BMW X5 3.0d Le Mans
Gone 2001MY BMW 530d Estate

Post #639437 Wed Feb 07 2024 10:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1