RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Lower Tailgate - No Wirr Clunk - Auto-close
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Lower Tailgate - No Wirr Clunk - Auto-close

Its on here in other places but my tail gate wasn't "auto-closing" or using the secondary closer to ensure it was shu (tailgate open). I tried adjusting but limited joy, so took the recommendation to get a new upper latch mechanism (for the lower hatch), which is the same as a Ford Galaxy (£20 eBay). Following instructions on Powerful UK to remove interior trim, sub-woofer out and replace latch mech.

Well, new latch definitely works, so that saved £100 Thumbs Up although I would say the OE part seems better made/insulated with gummy tape etc but it still wasn't auto-closing Sad

More adjustment of the lower catch ensued and now it works! It seems that if its "looser" when the first catch is engaged, it starts the pull down motor.

Did I need the new mechanism? Maybe, maybe not but perhaps the combo of old mech and being out of alignment made it worse.

I'm still at a loss to know exactly how the closer operates but its an easy/cheap change for the latch and time spent adjusting the catch.

Post #617993 Sat Oct 09 2021 8:03pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I've had this issue a couple of times on mine and I've found that the striker plate in the boot is the problem. If you open the tailgate take note of the position of the striker,,,, if it appears to be turned to one side the tailgate will not latch properly,,,, it needs to be pointing in a straight line so to speak. I took mine out, cleaned it up and lubricated the mechanism on the underneath. When refining pull it back towards yourself and nip it up, if the tailgate does latch but isn't quite lined up when closed just alter the striker a little at a time until your happy. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #617996 Sat Oct 09 2021 8:59pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I pished about with the rear striker quite a bit and best I ever got was "intermittent", so I presumed the sensors (where ever the heck they are but assume inside the latch) weren't working correctly. It is very sensitive to siting if that's all it is though.

Post #618034 Mon Oct 11 2021 6:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1