Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 2005 RRS Headlamps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

2eZero

United Kingdom 
2005 RRS Headlamps

Hiya Folks

Vehicle in question is a RRS 2005 V8 Auto SC.

Driving it back these evening I do like the headlamps, they have a good spread on country roads for the most part.

When I turn them on they go a brighter white over time, but get quite good. However, the drivers side is out of alignment. On main beam it points quite high.

How easy is to adjust this? The bulb still works. I have not yet opened it up or investigated at all in the area, but it needs to get sorted. I don't have a manual for it, mostly as it's not mine. But it has been very nice to drive it the past few days.

This was the first time I actually got to use main beam after 4 nights of driving it back from work in the early hours, the headlights are that good I didn't need to!

I've looked a bit online and the lens covers dont seem scratched/frosted/damaged so don't need to be 'cleaned' with sandpaper or anything.

Edit: Found the video on removing the headlamps, and also changing the bulb through your master link page.

Thanks Wink

Post #617071 Wed Sep 08 2021 1:06am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Main beam is made up of 2 bulbs.

The flap opens for the HID
And the halogen by grill comes on (for long range)

You need to work out which is high

Maybe cover up the halogen with black and retest.

I’d be tempted to just leave it alone.

Post #617073 Wed Sep 08 2021 9:11am
2eZero

United Kingdom 

Aim is fine on dipped, but main beam is the one that's out.

Looking at the videos its possible its just a bulb misaligned. It doesn't get used much at night at the moment but in the next few months will have front end taken apart anyway to sortthe bad radiators... I guess it can be done then.

Powerfuluk videos have lots of interesting stuff there too.

Post #617076 Wed Sep 08 2021 1:41pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Yeah. Hope it’s a miss aligned bulb

Grill off
And headlight out to see

Post #617077 Wed Sep 08 2021 1:49pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

On the pre-facelift models, there are two adjusters on the headlights. You can adjust them in the same direction to raise/lower the beam, change them separately/differentially to change the left/right direction.

I found that careful playing with the differential - basically just lifting/lowering the one nearer the centreline of the car - could adjust the H7 bulb. The H7 is known as a "fill in" bulb - it's not the main beam itself, it helps with the non-uniform pattern of the xenon unit.

I also found that a small change in the up/down position of the unit would make a huge difference out along the road - remember that the height of the dipped beam can be changed a small amount and it will have a much greater effect on the long range beam.

Best to find a straight. flat bit of road of suitable length and adjust the unit in question. Place a towel over the other unit to blank the light and then you can fine tune the beam position. It's definitely worth playing around with it; I found that a little adjustment made a huge difference to the beam.

The adjusters are both cross-head "screw heads", with a hole in the radiator support beam for one, the other is accessible directly. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #617091 Wed Sep 08 2021 10:01pm
2eZero

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that information RRSTDV8. I thought that the H7 outer lamp was the only thing for main beam. The bulb hasn't gone but it is significantly higher.

I'll try and get some pictures sometime.

It won't be for a while, it's just gone back to it's owner again and the next thing to happen with it will be the strip down to replace the radiators and subsequent rebuild.

Post #617129 Fri Sep 10 2021 1:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1