Home > General (L494) > Brake discs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tarbh

Scotland 
Brake discs

Hi,

I need to replace my front discs on my 2019 L494, they’ve only done 15k
Any opinions on replacements for 349mm discs or should I stick with OEM?.

Thanks
John

Post #614407 Sun Jun 06 2021 8:53pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,

Can not understand why you would Need to replace Discs after only 15k Shocked

I would not even be expecting to replace the pads by then, if they do need replacing is it not going to be a Warranty issue due to a fault Question

I would use OEM as still in manufactures 3y warranty

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #614420 Mon Jun 07 2021 9:19am
Tarbh

Scotland 

I had to replace the rear discs after less than 10k miles!.

Brakes are now only covered for a 1 year warranty (from new), as my car was just over a year old I challenged this with my dealer, who referred me to Land Rover customer services, who then refused my claim.
I took it up with Motoring Ombudsman, but unfortunately they didn’t support my claim either!.

I replaced the rears with OEM discs and pads.

Following a service last week, my dealer reported “some corrosion” on the front discs, may be the cause of the vibration under braking that I’m now experiencing, and advised to replace the discs/pads first to see if this resolves the issue!.

I can’t say I’m overly impressed with the brakes fitted to my car!

Post #614970 Mon Jun 21 2021 6:34am
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Something wrong there, no way is that correct. Has the car been sat for a long time without any use? Why were the rear replaced? Which dealer was that? Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #614972 Mon Jun 21 2021 7:06am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Tarbh wrote:

Following a service last week, my dealer reported “some corrosion” on the front discs, may be the cause of the vibration under braking that I’m now experiencing, and advised to replace the discs/pads first to see if this resolves the issue!.

I would be very wary of the dealer telling you that the brakes need doing. It's a classic and very common item that they flag up. Why? Because they charge a fortune for it, that's why.

My advice first off would be to go somewhere else - not a LR dealer but an indie - and ask them to have a look at the brakes for you. In fact, I'd whip the front wheels off myself and have a look at the discs and pads and see what they look like.

"Some corrosion" is a phrase used to make you feel concerned. It sounds scary without them having to actually explain exactly what is corroded, how much, and whether it's a safety critical issue or just a throw away line. As to "let's change the discs and pads and see if it gets better", well yeah great if someone else is picking up the tab.

Do the brakes vibrate when braking lightly or when braking heavily? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #614975 Mon Jun 21 2021 8:11am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
agree above ^ get them actually measured for the thickness of the discs ISTR the minimum thickness is stamped into the disc (some, maybe not all?)

or

use the footrest for your left foot and stop using the middle pedal as one Shocked Laughing

there could be some other factors playing a part?
do you jet wash the brakes clean before parking it up for a few weeks,
just suggesting some thing that can have a big effect.

Thumbs Up

To measure the minimum brake disc thickness correctly, you will need to use a gauge. Measurements should be taken in at least 4 different points. The lowest value should be used as reference for the entire disc.
This value should be compared with the number etched on the disc and indicated with the wording MIN TH = (Minimum Thickness), followed by the value in millimetres. If the measurement taken shows values below the MIN TH, then you must replace the disc.
Most importantly, it should be noted that discs must be replaced on both sides even if only one of the pair proves to be below the minimum wear level

taken from Brembo website. Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Last edited by riverblanche on Mon Jun 21 2021 6:19pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #614979 Mon Jun 21 2021 11:36am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Get a second opinion from an Indy. My car went in for a service & they said the discs needed replaced due to corrosion. Car had done 6000miles. Got them checked, nothing wrong with them. Main dealer see them as a cash cow. Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #614983 Mon Jun 21 2021 12:11pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

I use Paul at elite Land Rover in Clydebank Thumbs Up Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #614984 Mon Jun 21 2021 12:14pm
the_big_1

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

When I bought my current SVR, I took it in after about a week for SIM card reader not working. I got the health check video saying also my discs where showing corrosion and advise replacement at £4k. I called the dealer and thanked then.and stated if they where corroded then its their issue as car was supplied to me last week. Funny enough, after closer inspection they where OK! 2018 SVR

Post #615017 Mon Jun 21 2021 9:03pm
IRBails

Australia 

Tarbh wrote:
I had to replace the rear discs after less than 10k miles!.

Brakes are now only covered for a 1 year warranty (from new), as my car was just over a year old I challenged this with my dealer, who referred me to Land Rover customer services, who then refused my claim.
I took it up with Motoring Ombudsman, but unfortunately they didn’t support my claim either!.

I replaced the rears with OEM discs and pads.

I don't know what brakes you have but my SDV8 had the big brembos. Terrible vibes due to the OME disc material. I did change pads and rotors and the vibes returned. Changed to Red Stuff brake pads and 100,000 k's still good and no black dust. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #615051 Tue Jun 22 2021 11:11am
Turdmon

United Kingdom 

the_big_1 wrote:
When I bought my current SVR, I took it in after about a week for SIM card reader not working. I got the health check video saying also my discs where showing corrosion and advise replacement at £4k. I called the dealer and thanked then.and stated if they where corroded then its their issue as car was supplied to me last week. Funny enough, after closer inspection they where OK!

Stroll on. Bloody unbelievable.

Post #615059 Tue Jun 22 2021 7:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1