Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Arc Pipe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Kravman

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Sumatra Black
Arc Pipe

Hi Guys,
I'm after a bit of advice if possible please.

My 57 plate RRS has shown the red warning light indicating a suspension problem.
I've been told that it’s the "Arc Pipe" that requires replacing. I'm not mechanically minded at all and would like to know what this is and is it a big job to have it rectified.

I was told that it would cost in the region of £600 - £1000 to put right but just wanted clarification or a second opinion.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Post #404833 Wed Dec 04 2013 4:11pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

'57 TDV8 HSE in Hertfordshire? Must help you then Laughing

Confusingly people often refer to the Dynamic Response system as 'ARC' (Active Roll Control).

Dynamic response is the patented system which uses hydraulically operated actuators on the anti-roll bars front and rear to counteract body roll when cornering.

In your post you said it is the ARC 'pipe' that needs replacing so possibly it is just part of the hydraulic system that is leaking and needs to be replaced but usually it is one of the actuators. Check with your garage which it is. Can you see any drops of fluid under the car where it is usually parked?

The actuators are notorious for developing leaks and they are not repairable so have to be replaced. They are Censored expensive at around £900 each and if it is the rear one the body has to be partially lifted from the chassis to fit it so quite a bit of labour. Plus, the system then has to be bled and recalibrated which is more work.

You could try just topping up the Dynamic response system reservoir with the correct fluid (only obtainable from Land Rover) and see if the red warning light goes out. If it is only a slight leak that might be a temporary fix. However; while the light is on - your body roll when cornering might be excessive and lead to loss of control so be careful driving!

If you are anywhere near Houghton Regis in Bedford give Bill at Autoland (01582 866680) a call and get them to give you a second opinion maybe? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #404836 Wed Dec 04 2013 4:47pm
Kravman

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Sumatra Black

Thank you Paddi it is the rear. I think I'll give it a top up as recommended and call Autoland as I'm only 45 mins away

Post #404877 Wed Dec 04 2013 10:06pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

There are two failure modes for the active roll bars. The first is a leak around the pipe junction. This is fixable by replacing the pipe or seal (Bobby has posted stuff about this before). The second is a leak from the actuator itself. This is not repairable and requires a replacement unit. This happened to mine. Luckily it was covered by the warranty but the cost would have been about £1300 IIRC. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #404924 Thu Dec 05 2013 11:15am
Paddi

A pictorial always helps:

This is an actuator and the points where the two pipes are connected is labelled #8. A leak here might be rectified if a new 'O' ring is installed.

If the actuator (#5) is leaking where the ARB (#3) connects to the actuator then a new unit s required. "And that'll be £900 sir thank you very much". KERCHING!

It's about time someone started remanufacturing these units - can't be that hard surely? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #404981 Thu Dec 05 2013 3:48pm
RRSTDV8

Well done Paddi, that explains it perfectly Thumbs Up

As for rebuilding them, I doubt there is enough demand in reality. Also, I wonder if LR would be very forthcoming with the bits - look at their position on engines for example. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #405002 Thu Dec 05 2013 7:28pm
Paul Holywood

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Paddi wrote:
A pictorial always helps:

This is an actuator and the points where the two pipes are connected is labelled #8. A leak here might be rectified if a new 'O' ring is installed.

If the actuator (#5) is leaking where the ARB (#3) connects to the actuator then a new unit s required. "And that'll be £900 sir thank you very much". KERCHING!

It's about time someone started remanufacturing these units - can't be that hard surely?

Hi Paddy
I've been reading your posts on this topic and wondered if I can ask you a question.
I have been advised today my rear arb system is showing signs of a oily mist , and explained its very serious and will cost 4-5k for the repair, when it finally goes wrong..
After three or four hours of trying to get up of the floor Rolling with laughter I thought I would ask you guys for a opinion.
He wasn't specific of the precise area, but said there was evidence of an oily mist, should I panic now, or wait..!
Ps, I have had no suspension faults as yet.
NOTE:
I asked for a thorough and complete check over while my TDV8 was having a service as the car is new to me.
He did advise being a indi, he would not take on the job, and was only guessing at the costs from LR.

Post #408097 Sat Jan 04 2014 5:21pm
Paddi

Hi Paul,
If you have a look at the point where the ARBs join the actuator it is normal for these to be damp with oil. There's no protective boot so the theory goes that dust and dirt can get in and eventually degrade the seal to the point where oil loss becomes significant and the units have to be changed. With LR crazy parts and labour prices it is not difficult to imagine that an official dealer would charge the amount you have mentioned to change both units.

If your Dynamic Response fluid reservoir is up to level, you don't have any warning lights or oil drips under the car then probably best not to worry.

There are indis who can do the job when and if you need it for less money.

Hope this helps and glad to see the fuel filter change seems to have fixed your limp mode problem when accelerating. Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #408113 Sat Jan 04 2014 6:38pm
Paul Holywood

Hi Paddy

Thanks for the quick response , that put my mind to rest as i have no leaks, or warnings.

im chuffed about fuel filter, now for the first time since ive owned it, i can accelerate hard and appreciate the power without having to pull over. Rolling with laughter

Post #408131 Sat Jan 04 2014 9:45pm
Paddi

Its great to feel that TDV8 on full power but I hope you are observing all the usual precautions recommended to look after your turbos; 30 secs of idle after a cold start, no hard acceleration until fully warmed up and a couple of minutes idle before shutting off. Change the oil and filter between services. Might sound a bit OCD but much preferable to kaboom and a bill for £9k Laughing 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #408134 Sat Jan 04 2014 9:57pm
Paul Holywood

I trashed a turbo on my company van through starting it and zooming off, expensive learning curve.
for the small amout it costs to have oil changed i will be happy to do a six monthly service.

Post #408136 Sat Jan 04 2014 10:06pm
RRSTDV8

Paul Holywood wrote:

I have been advised today my rear arb system is showing signs of a oily mist , and explained its very serious and will cost 4-5k for the repair, when it finally goes wrong..

I had my rear ARB replaced by a LR dealership about 18 months ago and it cost about £1400 all in, IIRC. The bar alone is about £800 and the rest was labour and VAT. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #408166 Sun Jan 05 2014 10:43am
Paul Holywood

Thanks RRSTDV8

That's not as bad as I thought, tell me did they do it without separating the body etc?

Post #408188 Sun Jan 05 2014 2:31pm
adigorn

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Quote:
That's not as bad as I thought, tell me did they do it without separating the body etc?

Easily done without body off Thumbs Up

Post #408197 Sun Jan 05 2014 3:54pm
RRSTDV8

I think they did take the body off, or at least tipped the rear up a bit, to do it. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #408220 Sun Jan 05 2014 6:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>