RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494 to Velar - anyone gone down this route?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

dpg123

United Kingdom 
L494 to Velar - anyone gone down this route?

Living in London and with traffic only getting worse, the L494 seems to have become even more oversized for town. Has anyone gone from an L494 to a Velar? I'd only be interested in a petrol and not a plug in hybrid (as we park on the street and despite being constantly told to by an electric or hybrid car there is only 1 plug in spot within 100m of the house and it's always busy).

Interested to know thoughts on the Velar,m what is closest to Autobiography spec (I really want to keep a leather dash top and not plastic for example) and powertrains.

Thanks!

Post #613031 Tue Apr 27 2021 4:07pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Looking at the configurator, you can add extended leather (leather dash) to even the basic Velar if you choose the leather seats (cloth as standard on the basic model).

As for the equivalent of the RRS Autobiography, it appears to be the Velar Edition. That would still need the extended (or full extended, whatever it's called) to be added as an option. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #613032 Tue Apr 27 2021 4:34pm
Eagle77

England 

The Velar is only two inches shorter in length but three inches narrower. It is still a big car. The velar is 4.5 inches shorter in height which makes a big difference to visibility however. MY2022 HSE Silver D300 in Firenze Red with black contrast roof
2018 XC90 D5 Inscription with Polestar...gone
2017 XC90 D5 RDesign....gone
2013 Audi Q7...lot of issues...gone
2012 Mercedes CLS...loved it...gone

Post #613035 Tue Apr 27 2021 5:35pm
Canary

England 

I sold my scv8 two months ago and moved into the sv autobiography velar

Do like it as much as my sport, well no! But I saved a good packet on the pcp and still had that 5ltr engine I so love.

Its smaller in cabin feel with very little cubby space compared to the sport with the additional door and centre console storage spaces, but that's something to get used too.

The sound from that engine is a disgrace compared to the roar of my 18 plate L494 JLR have killed the soud of that mighty v8! Evil or Very Mad but I think that is an issue for everyone especially svr owners in recent years, apart from these two things I'm very happy with it.

The boot space is almost the same and this was a big deal as I travel heavy living at both ends of the country and do big miles.

Also due to the weight ratio its about 3mpg better over the 494 and also being 550bhp its a rocket and feels faster considerably over my scv8 again probably due to the power to weight ratio.

The best bit was my insurance dropped to just over Β£320 vs my L494 which was going north every year!

The driving position and accuracy of the drive feels much more precise, and again I assume the lower car height and drive position mixed with the sv set up make this a more enjoyable package overall. MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect πŸ‘
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect πŸ‘Œ
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect πŸ‘Œ
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect πŸ‘Œ
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #613044 Tue Apr 27 2021 9:19pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 
Re: L494 to Velar - anyone gone down this route?

dpg123 wrote:
Living in London and with traffic only getting worse, the L494 seems to have become even more oversized for town. Has anyone gone from an L494 to a Velar? I'd only be interested in a petrol and not a plug in hybrid (as we park on the street and despite being constantly told to by an electric or hybrid car there is only 1 plug in spot within 100m of the house and it's always busy).

Interested to know thoughts on the Velar,m what is closest to Autobiography spec (I really want to keep a leather dash top and not plastic for example) and powertrains.

Thanks!

As Eagle 77 says not much difference size wise. I have both the L494 and Velar.

The sport is taller, slightly wider and longer...but only slightly, not enough to make a difference. Parking wise, you need pretty much same sort of space to park.

But the is big difference...sport is much more comfortable and offers a much better driving position. Whereas the Velar, yhe seats are narrower and harder with less support but the Velar is more economical.

Post #613052 Wed Apr 28 2021 2:30am
IanV8

Scotland 

After six Vogues I bought a 2018 300D Velar on air and with dynamics but not a dynamic. Much smaller than the Vogue and the seating was not as comfortable, ride as good and very stable towing a 2000kg caravan. I missed the active cruise control and the much smaller fuel tank was a real pain especially when towing.
You sit down into a Velar and up into a Sport, the visibility out of the Velar is poor especially when abroad on the other side of the road.
I would probably still have it but it had major infotainment issues, no radio, no sat nav about 50% of the time, dealer had 3 attempts to fix it all to no avail.
Changed to a 2018 300D Sport autobiography and it is a much superior car, the active cruise actually works right down to 0 mph.
We did take a 3L Vogue for a test drive and both felt sick on back roads, no dynamics on the 3L.

Ian 2018 Indus Silver SDV6 Autobiography normally towing a Buccaneer Cruiser.

Post #613055 Wed Apr 28 2021 7:59am
Johnrrs

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver

A director of a company I do some work for has just swapped his 2016 RRS for a brand new velar. When I see him I’ll ask him if he is happy with the change.

Post #613100 Thu Apr 29 2021 9:10pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

I had one as a curtesy car for a few days, no way I would swap, it wa# almost like it wasn’t finished. I’d rather have an evoque I thin’ if you needed to change Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #613104 Fri Apr 30 2021 6:31am
Canary

England 

I felt that way about the new disco 5 I had as a courtesy vehicle it seemed so utilitarian and mean inside!

But since then I was I was in a high specification disco and that made quiet a different impression, so I guess your experience was similar?

Coming out of a autobiography sport sure there's differences and it's never going to be identical but I'd say a high spec velar or SV spec isn't that bad a place to be. MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect πŸ‘
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect πŸ‘Œ
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect πŸ‘Œ
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect πŸ‘Œ
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #613136 Sat May 01 2021 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1