RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Apple Car Play
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Jaws

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

What unit was it? I PM'd him but awaiting a reply. Are you fitting yourself?

Post #613832 Thu May 20 2021 7:50pm
The_Lad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

This is the unit

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002258...1026UDWssG

Yes I’m going to give it a go fitting it myself the wiring is all labelled and it looks like the plugs will only plug into the correct sockets on the car so should be easy apart from getting the screen out first I haven’t looked at that yet

Post #613836 Thu May 20 2021 8:24pm
scarey

thats a lot cheaper than the current £550'ish being asked in the UK.....watching this thread with interest.. Thumbs Up

Post #613842 Thu May 20 2021 9:44pm
pjbracer1

England 

Yeah sorry guys I had planned to do a wirte up but been side tracked with the whole engine blowing up thing!

I spoke with the comapny I bought the one currnently fitted and they didnt like the idea of peopel fitting them themselves so didnt like the idea of me really plugging their unit!

However the unit is the same one as one on Ali Express that I was trying to get a deal on for eveyone.

The one I originally bought did work as I could see it on WIFI and BT but I couldnt get an image on screen and as I have 360 Cams the MFR then said after a bit of back and forth that it wont work with them (I think the camera input isnt just a single channel input its a multi output from another Video unit that connects all the cameras and then has some software to put them all together and display them with differenet views and selections)

So I will stick a link in to the unit that is the saem as the one I bought but didnt want to sne dyou all on a goose chase and wind up getting one that looks similar but is the right one for your car, as I think there are a few different types depending on age.

The code will be PJBRRS1 and will offer 20US discount not much but its better than a kick in the sack, the same model in the UK is £500 - 550

Ill put in some links as soon as I have them ready and the MFR sorts the code out If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #613846 Thu May 20 2021 10:09pm
JETPAK

United States 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

I'm also very interested in this thread. I just bought a 2014 RRS and have been researching a Carplay upgrade and was considering the unit from www.androidaftershock.com but it's quite expensive at US$1069.

The Ali Express unit says it's for 2015-2018 models. Does anyone know if this will work for MY2014? From everything I've read so far MY2014 is the start of the RRS ii series?

Thanks!

BT 2014 Range Rover HSE Supercharged
2013 Range Rover Autobiography (wife's)
1997 Porsche 911 Targa
1998 Audi A4 Quattro

Last edited by JETPAK on Fri May 28 2021 5:55pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #614100 Fri May 28 2021 4:22pm
pjbracer1

England 

The Ali verision should be fine I fitted one to my 2013 L494 there are some differences with them that make the install slightl harder work

The fits one I got is the cheapest but piggy backs off of all the car internals which is why I went for it no extra mic etc... but it didnt work on mine as it got confused with the 360 cameras on mine as its mre than one signal input!

The next model up has a separate mic which I managed to install under the dash up the ! pilliar and hide it inside the actual mic in the the car (there is a little black box by the mirror) so in the end it was invisble.

I also installed an extra USB socket in the armest cubby next to the fridge to make it look a bit better than a lead in th egolve box so that was some extra work to feed and extend the cabel but also to drill out enough of a hole to fit the coket into the 12v panel.

I will do a write up as soon as I can guys Im just dealing with the whole engine vs concrete mixer issue at the moment! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614103 Fri May 28 2021 4:42pm
JETPAK

Thank you pjbracer1. I'll wait to hear more about your experience. I don't want to lose any of the stock functionality (other than replacing the Nav with google maps) especially the cameras.

I'm new to this group and hadn't read about your engine debacle until just now. So sorry to hear all that. I bought my RRS with very little research which is not like me but I love my wife's 2013 Autobiography so much I just said f it and dropped the cash.

I think I read somewhere in your posts that you are a pilot. Always nice to meet a fellow aviator. Cool I was a CFI once upon a time but now just an old weekend warrior.

1997 Porsche 911 Targa
1998 Audi A4 Quattro

Post #614105 Fri May 28 2021 5:35pm
pjbracer1

England 

Ha yeah similar I had a v8 sc and she was always good so went for another! I wanted to go down the cro route as a retirement thing🤣 I have been up in a while it’s so expensive over here! Might take checkride next I’m back in West Palm to see if I still have it😉

I’ll try and get something together in the next week! The only thing you lose is the Nav but after I investigated using a mobile will In built gps has more accuracy and coverage as it also uses the cell network and not just gps so has more range even out in the sticks!

Otherwise it’s all stock which I like too the only downside is fwd or rwd skip doesn’t work unless you use Bluetooth to the car which work but then when the car takes a call or u want use Siri you can’t hear the playback as that is via the aux channel
Defo get a ground loop isolator to cut out alternator noise and it’s all good use the main car amp it really does update the car! I just need one that drives now Big Cry If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614110 Fri May 28 2021 10:55pm
pjbracer1

England 

HI Guys

Right I still havent had time to write up but will start the list of parts you will need if you wanna give it a go. Iam not endorsing these products and am not responsible if they dont work or you damage anything so its at your own risk!

Ive done it and it does work and there are 2 ways to do the install, I did it the best way which did take more time but its looks more professional but its up to you!

The unit itself is this one (the units in the cars are Bosch based (Im not sure if it makes a difference on the new style full touch screen version from 2017 on (but dont worry if yours has slightly different side panel icons they work the same)

This is from Ali Express ( I got mine in the UK and it cost £550 but is the same model) The guys in the UK dont really like selling them for diy fitting just in case)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001270...web201603_

Now the same item is here from the MFR website where I talked them into a discount code PJBRRS1 for us which gets you $20 off so shipping is roughly $10 and it works out about £320 ish not factoring in an exchange rate are credit card fees)

https://www.joyeauto.com/product/land-rove...roid-auto-
retrofit/

They didnt say how long the code was valid for so Id gues maybe a month or so but if anyone has any problems with it let me know and Ill have a word. (be handy if anyone does use it to let me know so i can see if we could get a discount on any of the others items in the future or if there are software updates for it in the future too)

The MFR website doesnt show the full list of products but if you email them and ask them they will ship the right product, Most of the time they want a pictures of your stereo emailed in to verify

To be honest I think the unit is the same for all of them and its only the cables that might differ slightly. They are helpful either through Ali or direct just bear inmind they are in China so whe we are awake they are not.

So here are some of the other items I reccomend getting (well I did anyway)

1. Ground loop isolator as the unit use the aux channel to get the music into the car system it can at really loud volumes create a ticking and buzz from the Alternator (might have just been my engine telling me its gonna go bang not I come to think of it!) its an easy fit and does make a difference.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smof-Ground-Isola...s9dHJ1ZQ==

2. This is just a cable if you want to fit a USB socket in near where the builit in one is already (the new cars this might be more tricky as there is less palce on the panel as I think they have sim slots and SD card stuff)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HYF...&psc=1

3. USB Socket, I put this in the cubby box just cos I thought it would be better than a cable in the glove box but its extra work that might not really be needed if you are never gonna use it for storing music etc.... (also as the stock stero still work the USB storage for that sitll works so this is just to use with the back end part of the android device)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DDB...&psc=1

This is an alternative that might be easier to fit some were else in the car or should be a swap out for the 12V socket in the cubby (there is still one in the drinks holder part so you still have one anyway (maybe in the glove box (might be quicker too)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082VV...&psc=1

Thats pretty much it I would reccomend though if you are gonna pull the car apart for this take the Weekend so you have time start on Sat (its not difficult its just pulling things apart

This is worth doing whilst its all apart too fit one of these it will make your life so much better
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002583...web201603_

Powerful UK have one that sit over the fridge section (it looks likes its been done on Ali too!) its pretty good and was my first idea to build one like it but though the cable connecting to the 12V or usb would be a bit messy and make using the fridge in the summer a bit awkward, the space under the AC unit it useless so sticking your phone there on charge is great!

I will try and write some install stuff up but there are a couple of Powerful videos on how to remove the centre consoled and nav screen that show most of it so you can get an idea of how to remove the trim.

The most daunting part if pulling the dash panel off! gnetly pull from the top first and it will come off with a bit of force!

Hope this helps in the meanwhile!

Now back to finding an engine! Big Cry If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614189 Tue Jun 01 2021 10:18pm
JETPAK

Thanks for keeping us updated on this Paul! Based on everything you've reported so far I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for this as it's a great upgrade to an already great car.

Re 2 and 3 in your post, is this because the new headunit needs to use the existing USB port?

Hope you find an engine soon!

1997 Porsche 911 Targa
1998 Audi A4 Quattro

Post #614233 Thu Jun 03 2021 12:51am
pjbracer1

England 

It has its own USB port whcih come with a little cable that most seem to tuck into the glove box which works fine, I just thought Id go one better and put a USB socket in the arm rest as there was space on the 12v panel and it looked a bit better, but that is just me being picky!

The round shaped socket is just a bit easier to fit either by swapping the 12v socket in the cubby for it or putting in the glove box as it just looks neater and is just drilling a hole the square one I bought needed a dremel to cut out the square section so was bit more of a faf! I drilled a small hole enough to get a USB cable through under the top section of centre console so its can be seen and then fed the cable under and around the gear selctor.

Looks like this

I fed the mic cable under the dash, behind the door rubber seal up past the A pillar trim and along the front of the headlining and popped off the mic cover and it fits inside nicely like this

If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614238 Thu Jun 03 2021 9:11am
JETPAK

Nice! I thought it might be something like that but couldn't quite envision. Thanks for the pics!

1997 Porsche 911 Targa
1998 Audi A4 Quattro

Post #614261 Thu Jun 03 2021 2:59pm
The_Lad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Ok still trying to get the unit I have working properly the final issue is that the reverse camera doesn’t work after the first few minutes, the only cable I haven’t connected is this one

I can’t see anything behind the dash the same colour I’ve tried swapping all the plugs on the screen and on the back of the CD player and still doesn’t work

So does anyone know where the elusive plug is hidden? Or maybe there isn’t one and the unit just doesn’t work after initial boot up

Post #616298 Mon Aug 02 2021 2:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12