RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Noisiest air bags in history
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Noisiest air bags in history

So as will be apparent from the title of this post, my rear airbags on my 2012 HSE are doin ma nut in, to use a colloquialism from my part of the world. They function fine, no error codes, rise up and down quickly. BUT.....

My god are they SUPER SQUEAKY and it's driving me INSANE 😁

Really noticeable at low speed esp low speed cornering or speed bumps. Usual attempted remedies of spray lubricant have not worked. Am pretty sure it is the air bags as I can reproduce the same sound when parked up by changing suspension heights.

Any suggestions ? And if it is the bags any rough idea of cost supply and fitted at an indy ?

Post #611602 Wed Mar 17 2021 2:47pm
Kevin-t

United Kingdom 

Sorry I can't help with your dilemma.
However have you really checked all other possibilities before renewing the bags. Just seems that not much mention on here re: noisy airbags.
You would have thought if it was going to be them, others would have posted similar.
Mines not a sport, its a disco 3..2004 with 230k miles, Yes its been off road plenty..No not all motorway miles. Not a squeak.
I know its not the same car, however still worth checking all other options first. Could just be a rusted Bolt. Dried up link, or a dried up ????
Have you had her over a Pit, two or three guys poking around and listening? ( The car i'me on about ).......πŸ˜‰
Be a shame to have new airbags fitted and not resolve the issue Whistle

Just a thought Thumbs Up

Post #611605 Wed Mar 17 2021 3:32pm
abiopete

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Re: Noisiest air bags in history

Father Jack wrote:
So as will be apparent from the title of this post, my rear airbags on my 2012 HSE are doin ma nut in, to use a colloquialism from my part of the world. They function fine, no error codes, rise up and down quickly. BUT.....

My god are they SUPER SQUEAKY and it's driving me INSANE 😁

Really noticeable at low speed esp low speed cornering or speed bumps. Usual attempted remedies of spray lubricant have not worked. Am pretty sure it is the air bags as I can reproduce the same sound when parked up by changing suspension heights.

Any suggestions ? And if it is the bags any rough idea of cost supply and fitted at an indy ?

Think its probably your Anti Roll Bar Bushes rather than your Airbags..

Silicone spray lube helps temporarily. Some replace with poly instead of rubber (replaced mine original). L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)
L320 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Baltic Blue (RIP 29/03/2021 insurance total loss)

Post #611607 Wed Mar 17 2021 3:55pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Very possibly the hub bushes - the ones that connect the upright to the suspension arms. They will squeak just like that. You can get them to squeak just by rocking the car when it's parked up at normal height. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #611610 Wed Mar 17 2021 5:03pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Put the suspension up and down with park break off, and gear N

If you no longer get noise, it’s probably something else

Post #611611 Wed Mar 17 2021 5:03pm
Father Jack

Thanks for the replies.

I remain as above pretty sure it is the air bags as I can reproduce the same sound when parked up by changing suspension heights. I had a brand new ARB and associated bushes done less than 3 months ago. Also as above spray lube has made no difference at all.

Any idea cost to supply and fit new bags ? Of course I will continue to look at other options but good to know a worst case position. Hopefully is just hub bushes - if so is that an expensive pain in the etceteras ?

Post #611614 Wed Mar 17 2021 7:50pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Changing the suspension height doesn't prove the air bags are the issue. Everything in the suspension moves when the height changes. All you are doing is proving that the noise is coming from the suspension.

With the vehicle parked up at normal height, try rocking the car by vigorously pushing at the top of the C-pillar. Get a good rock going. Does it squeak? If yes, it's most likely the hub bushes. Been there, done that. I first noticed it in a car park where I had the window down having taken the barrier ticket. Any rear suspension movement caused the squeak.

I had this issue, lube on the bushes made no difference.

New bush - Β£20 - https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/rhf50010...7055-p.asp
New airbag - Β£220 - https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr018170...7539-p.asp

Your choice. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #611624 Wed Mar 17 2021 11:23pm
Father Jack

Thanks for the replies. Am hoping it is the hub bushes rather than air bags. Though 2 x them is way cheaper than 2 x inlet manifolds or a pair of turbos, as I know from experience.

The noise is constant and deteriorating in that it is more frequent and longer lasting without any functional impairment. There is a logic to it being bushes. I am not keen for it to be air bags, just in asking the question I am looking to establish the options and worst case scenario planning, as I said.

I will try the rocking as suggested. Up and down on the suspension at parked was another suggestion posted which I have already commented on.

Post #611627 Thu Mar 18 2021 12:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1