RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2.7 Upper sump gasket replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

paul_wood

England 

From the picture you attached I would say yes only one on the left side. Without the prop shaft removed this is a right pain to get to. Not sure I’ll manage unless the PAS pipes (assuming my below descriptive location is correct) can’t be bent/moved out of the way somewhat.
And the starter is out already just got the locking tool in its place to lock crankshaft.
The two PAS pipes...I think I found them they’re connected to the block with one bolt and they’re pretty solid pipes right?
The turbo drain pipe, however, I googled that and can’t say I’ve noticed it, any advice on where to look?

Post #613488 Mon May 10 2021 3:20pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The PAS pipes are tiny and part of the rack.
You will see the issue yourself.

The turbo drain pipe is near the dipstick. 1 bolt and then it pulls out

Post #613493 Mon May 10 2021 7:06pm
jimwise68

United Kingdom 

the_wombat wrote:
Been working on this today. I can't say it was an easy job, but I guess that is to be expected!

I decided to take the oil pump off, as with the potential of a restricted oil flow, I wanted to check all was OK with it. That part of very easy, and for re-assembling, I am pretty sure I can put it on before re-assembling the sump.

The painful bits were the passenger side of the engine. Two bolts holding the lower turbo mount to the top of the sump, marginally accessible through a small opening in the wheel arch, but almost blind to get to with the prop in the way. Similar with the A/C compressor bolt that goes into the upper sump.

Never-the-less, the upper sump is released but I cannot figure out how to remove it out the front. The left and right higher portions that the starter bolts to and similar on the other side are too tall to fit between the block and front diff.

I think to re-assemble and make sure it is cleaned and the gasket fitted correctly, I will remove the diff. I have already undone the front prop so I could get a little more room on aforementioned turbo mount bolts. I have also removed the chassis arm below the diff. Just need to pop the drive shafts, drain it, undo the 3 mounting point and lower it. it will make the re-assembly much much easier.

I must admit I am temped to drop the big end caps to see what is going on. Everything looks very clean and pristine in there as it should.

I am just about to tackle this job and have scoured the net to find someone who has done it, you have a very comprehensive guide on what to do, so thanks for your time posting these comments.

I have have the Haynes manual and it mentions replacing the o-rings on the dipstick guide and also the oil filter/pick up. Did you replace those and has yours been oil leak free since doing it?
If you did replace them do you remember where you bought them from or what their part number is? I have also scoured the net looking for these.

thanks

Jim

Post #636983 Tue Oct 31 2023 5:02pm
Andy K

I don’t think the pick-up O ring is available separately when I looked years ago. Vague memory

I wouldn’t extract the dip stick tube to mess with seals as it is a nightmare to rethread by the turbo.

I assume you are doing this on a 2.7?

Post #636985 Tue Oct 31 2023 5:11pm
jimwise68

United Kingdom 

thanks for the reply Andy. Yes it is a 2.7 on a Discovery.

Seems everywhere says about unseating the dipstick guide. Can it be left in then? I thought it snapped if it was left in.

I did wonder about the o-rings being available separately.

Post #636987 Tue Oct 31 2023 6:10pm
Andy K

Sorry I was unclear.

Yes you need to pull the tube out the sump.
But don’t pull it completely out of the engine bay / its location.
It only needs moving out a few inches.

Post #636988 Tue Oct 31 2023 6:16pm
jimwise68

United Kingdom 

thanks Andy, makes sense. Thumbs Up

Post #636989 Tue Oct 31 2023 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123