COUPLE OF PICS OF THE SCOOBY

Post #621597 Sat Feb 05 2022 8:24pm
Nicky84

Ireland 

COUPLE OF PICS OF THE SCOOBY

Post #621598 Sat Feb 05 2022 8:24pm
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Do your research on the 3.6 TDV8. I looked at a couple before going with the 3.0 TDV6. I had a few reasons all of which related to my personal requirements.

Turbos are expensive and the 3.6 TDV8 seems to eat them, if one goes the other is about to, so you’re in for double. Body off job usually.
There are no Euro 5 3.6 TDV8’s, if you’re going to be stuck with a DPF you may as well get the benefits of being Euro 5 emissions approved.
Fuel economy of the 3.0 TDV6 is slightly better.
The 3.6 TDV8 is 268HP/640Nm, the 3.0 TDV6 is 241HP/600Nm, that’s only 27HP/40Nm difference. My calibrated butt dyno didn’t pick up a discernible difference. I suppose it would have if I hooked up a heavy trailer though.

That’s not to say the 3.6 TDV8 isn’t a blast to drive, they are great, just go in eyes wide open if you go for it. In general RRS oil coolers leak, they chew up suspension bushings and they tear up brakes. Then there’s all the electrical stuff. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #621706 Wed Feb 09 2022 6:58am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

TDV6 engine isn't without it's problems either. If you could live with the fuel bill a 5.0L s/c everyday of the week.

Cheers
Col

Post #621710 Wed Feb 09 2022 8:35am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

3.6 TDV8 in the UK, at least, didn't get the DPF so that's one benefit.

As for eating turbos, that's generally a user issue - give them 30 seconds to spool down and cool a bit and they're much happier and last much longer. But that's the same with any turbo, really.

If you're buying for fuel economy, the RRS is a bad choice no matter what engine you have. None of them are great, even if driven gently.

As for the difference in performance, the TDV8 is effortless where the 3.0 generally has to pause, change down a gear or two and then go. Particularly noticeable on motorway inclines etc. In the TDV8 you just add a touch more throttle and it powers on, in the 3.0 you add more throttle, add a bit more, then it changes down and then it goes. Yes, there's only a small difference in the figures, but V8 has more power throughout the entire rev range and it's definitely noticeable in my experience having done a lot of miles in both a TDV8 and a SDV6.

Click image to enlarge

(note, this says the TDV8 has a DPF as that was fitted in some markets)

Some of the perceived difference is also down to the gearbox - the TDV8 has the 6-speed, the SDV6 has the 8-speed.

Benefits of the later models of L320 are things like the dynamic program in Terrain Response - this just firms things up a bit and does make it slightly better at hustling down a road, although in standard mode it'll still cover ground remarkably quickly. It's not a Scooby, however and no amount of fettling will change that.

Not sure about oil cooler leaks being a common thing on the RRS.

All RRS wear out suspension bushes because they're heavy beasts. Suspension bushes also aren't helped by people fitting oversized wheels with rubber band tyres on them - the RRS wasn't designed for that. Brakes wear because, again, they're heavy beasts.

The electrics issues are often nothing more than a tired battery caused by short journeys. Indeed, these things don't like short journeys. If that's your use case, buy something else - you'll be better off and the RRS will be too. Check the battery voltage with the engine off - you want to see 12.7V+ to show a full battery. Turn on the engine and then recheck, you want to see 14.5V+/-. If it's down in the mid 13s, the alternator might be getting tired.

A "full service history" often isn't a full history at all. Many have gaps in their histories because people don't service them annually as they are supposed to. A 7 year old RRS, for example, should have at least 7 services in the book even if it's only done 40k miles. If it's been serviced by LR dealers, expect problems. LR dealerships are the worst place to get them serviced.

Ultimately, drive several and then buy on condition. Try every single switch and feature two or three times. Make sure the EPB activates without squealing. Make sure the transfer box changes between high and low ranges - there should be nothing more than a slight noise as it engages. Check the suspension can run through the full height range. Drop it to access height and then select normal height. Then select off road height. It will be slower up to off road height but should still manage it in a relatively short period of time. Any error message here would point to a tired compressor, for example. Make sure you take it out of park before you change heights - the wheelbase changes slightly with height and puts strain on the bushes.

Otherwise, it's the usual stuff. Check for leaks underneath, damp carpets, damaged trim, etc. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #621715 Wed Feb 09 2022 12:23pm
Boxers

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Very good advice given on here, I read reports about the V6 crankshaft failures in various places & on here so opted for the TDV8 almost 3 years ago and I am very pleased with it ,found a brilliant independent for servicing /repairs as main dealerships are definitely best avoided re the turbos they like clean oil so regular changes are a must & allow them to cool down after use good luck with your search.

Post #621719 Wed Feb 09 2022 2:49pm
DirtBuddha

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

My 2010 facelift TDV8 will be up for sale next month after we return from the Alps.

Galway green with sand/tan leather.

109k miles, FSH, recon engine and turbos 19k miles ago (at a cost of £5k), in absolutely lovely condition. Just serviced too.

Will be £10.25k

Located near Horsham, West Sussex

Post #621721 Wed Feb 09 2022 4:19pm
Nicky84

Ireland 

Hi thanks for the advice, I'm not worried about mpg of either engines I daily drive a 400hp subaru lol, 16mpg tiddling about on 99 ron plus octane booster,
I think I'm leaning towards the tdv8 the noise, from the v8 sounds great for a diesal,
Are the autobiography just cosmetic or is there any other bespoke extras you get with them?
I have been reading up about turbos and letting them cool before you turn the vehicle off, ideally I'm looking for an autobiography thats had genuine turbos done and has to be black I'm not to worried about the parking brake, or silly little faults

Thanks nicky

Post #622102 Sun Feb 20 2022 11:57pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Here is a link to a 2010/11 price list which shows difference as to which were standard fitment and which were available as options between different variants. I don't think you will get a TDV8 newer than 2010/11 as I think that is when they dropped that particular engine. The most noticeable differences between the A/B and HSE when just glancing at the car are the A/B had the Body Kit and Two Tone Interior as standard as well as a few other bit's like heated steering wheel, Logic 7 sound system etc.

Just be cautious if you do want a A/B as there are a lot of re-badged A/B look a like's out there, if it is a genuine A/B it will say so in the log book.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NM3UV_RYm...sp=sharing

Cheers
Col

Post #622103 Mon Feb 21 2022 1:04am
garrycol

Australia 

My 2.7 has been great for the last 12 years - if I were to upgrade I would go the TDV8 as they really do not have issues and if they do the issues are not normally engine killers and given the age of the vehicles a vehicle killer.

The 3.0 TDV6/SDV6 has major issues with its crank which will kill the engine and then the car due to the cost of repair. Some state the incident of crank failure is over stated, I dont know but I would not take the risk - if repairable then OK but in reality it is engine replacement.

When I replace my 2.7 RRS I will be looking for a LR product that does not have a 3.0 diesel - preferably a 3.6 or 4.4 V8 diesel

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #622104 Mon Feb 21 2022 2:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1