RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Watching movies via USB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Nilrem280

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Nara Bronze
Watching movies via USB

Hi, I'm trying to help out a mate who has a L494 play films that he owns on his screen via USB.

I've started off with an 8Gb Sandisk stick which is formatted to FAT 32 and have tried MP4 and DivX and although the car can read the filenames, it refuses to play the files.

I have read all the posts I can find and wondered if anyone had any luck and instructions on how to do this?

TIA
Pete

Post #609714 Tue Feb 09 2021 11:02am
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

I have tried and failed miserably so keen to hear from others if this is possible MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #609737 Tue Feb 09 2021 4:09pm
Canary

England 

I tried and failed miserably also! MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect ๐Ÿ‘
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect ๐Ÿ‘Œ
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect ๐Ÿ‘Œ
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect ๐Ÿ‘Œ
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #609740 Tue Feb 09 2021 5:21pm
pjbracer1

England 

Interesting I have loads of films on my 128gb sandisk nano which I mainly use as a music library instead of Spotify seems a waste of data listening to an album I arleady have.

I havent tried the films on there yet, I know the films for the rear screens dont work from the USB in the front or so im told.

I will have a butchers and see what I can work out.

Out of interest

Pease list the formats already tried?

AVI. MP4, AAC MKV? Also do you know what res those films were stored as Im guessing it might be down to screen res perhaps?

My L322 had TV in it and would play DVD's but it was an analogue TV tuner so instead of upgrading it I got a GVIF unit that plugs into the satnav and then boght a CARTV DVBT and used that for the TV which worked well but it also had a usb function for the music and tv and it also recorded tv and that had no issues with the formats.

Ill take a ganders and see what I find If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #609975 Sun Feb 14 2021 2:34pm
hoppy_70

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Mine works fine? Have a few movies on a stick which is plugged into the left hand slot. Think theyโ€™re mp4 but work fine in mine Thumbs Up Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY
Range Rover sport HSE Dynamic P400e Silver
Range Rover Sport 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic 2016 MY
Range Rover sport 3.6tdv8HSE 2007 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2005 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2007 honey
Range rover Vogue 2005 4.4 - GONE and missed
BMW 535d M sport 2006 - GONE not as missed
BMW X5 4.4 2004 sport - GONE

Post #609987 Sun Feb 14 2021 7:37pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

Nice one - did you do anything special to format he USB ? I may give mine a try again - tried Mp4s but didn't work. MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #610000 Mon Feb 15 2021 11:50am
hoppy_70

Correction! Sorry, just checked and the videos are AVI files. I seem to remember having to convert them to this format to work. Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY

Post #610029 Mon Feb 15 2021 8:46pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

Ah cool, did you have them in any specific directory / file order pr just AVI file after file ?

Any software you could recommend to convert MP4 to AVI ? MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #610086 Tue Feb 16 2021 2:42pm
hoppy_70

No, just copied and pasted straight into the usb stick. Accessed via the โ€˜my videoโ€™ menu in the car. They were originally MP4 so I had to use a video converter app. Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY

Post #610109 Tue Feb 16 2021 8:02pm
pjbracer1

England 

I just gave this a go and had some files in MP4 format in the root of the drive and the car wouldnt even see the USB stick!

I put in a mixture jsut to see what worked so im not sure if the car wont see the stick cos there are files on the drive that it doesnt recognise or cos the drive is too big!

I normally use a 64 for the music so thought id put it all on one drive

I had a ouple of MP4 on there and Converted and MP$ to DIvX but as it wouldnt recognise the drive I couldnt tell

Next plan is to just put an AVI flie on some old stick and see whic one works Ill report back if I find anyhting useful!

Seems od for it not to require some sub folder so it know where to look but its LR not Apple so what do I know! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #610365 Sun Feb 21 2021 5:59pm
pjbracer1

England 

Ok so Just used the same 64gb USB I normally use as the library for music

I think the video format needs to be .AVI

San Disk 64GB Nano Formatted to FAT32

No Folders for file type just folders for the different albums and artists

E.G.
in the root of the drive

The Doors and then in this folder Albums The Best Of the Doors (inside that folder are 2 more folders for each disk on the album) and album Morrison Hotel and Waiting for the Sun

Lots of other albums on there in the same set up
I created a root folder for the artists then put all the albums in each

So for the Video

I just copied a couple into te root folder in .AVI format and they are found by the car and can be played no probs

I will try some other formats and maybe put them in folders just to see how it works.

The only Censored seems that the rear screens cant use the USB in the front they have to use there own on in the back media panel (2 USB stiicks looks the way unless its possible to linkt the fornt USB to the rear USB and fool that car into thinking the front is actually the rear.

I guess an old MP4 Players plugged into the 12V in the boot could act as a bluetooth storage device for all music and video to avoid having to have separate USB sticks front and back.

Not sure ow the streaming BT works as to wether you can browse the file and select play or if you have to initiate the playing from the device! I know Spotify sometimes throws a wobbler if you are streaming and it disconnects and reconnects!

Ill keep playing but from what it looks like AVI works OK If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #610366 Sun Feb 21 2021 6:33pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the update and great to hear - will check out myself soon. MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #610408 Mon Feb 22 2021 12:55pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Slightly related, I downloaded a film recently and could not transfer to a USB stick. Problem was formatting. FAT32 cannot cope with file sizes over 4gb so had to reformat the USB to NTFS. No issue after that. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #610448 Tue Feb 23 2021 1:13pm
pjbracer1

England 

Yes thats a common issue, also you might find that Windows struggles copying files over 4GB, (it can sometimes corrupt them during the process.

There is a free peice of softate called Terracopy that handles moving large files from one place to another really well, i use it all the time for moving 4K drone footage from SD card to my server over the network (Windows explorer crashed a fair bit)

Not sure if the car will read a USB formatted in NTFS or Exfat though. Windows wont format FAT32 for drives over 32GB but there are partition managers that will format a drive pretty much up to over 2TB to FAT 32.

Aomei Partition Assitant can format drives in varying formats so I just use that to format USB sticks.

I had a 128GB drive in Exfat which worked for updating the SATNAV Maps but when I formated the drive and put a load of music and films on there the car didnt see the drive!

Ive been thinking about the annoyance of having to have 2 USB drives for the front and rear entertainment. the car is fine with Bluetooth connections so was thinking of using an old Iphone or Ipod Touch as the storage media. Running out of space on my phone to keep this type of thing on there considering how often I use it.

Anyone else tried this? (im mean with their phone an using the same video front and back to lay at the same time using the main stereo fo sound?) Just thinking then all passengers can watch and hear the same film at the same time on a long trip If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #610450 Tue Feb 23 2021 2:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1