Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Eberspacher parking heater Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Jpfour

United Kingdom 
Eberspacher parking heater Retrofit

Hi,

Quite the first post this one but; I have just completed the retrofit of a genuine eberspacher parking heater, all fitted, CCF enabled via IID Tool, fully working from menu within the car, however I have no idea how to pair the remote fob with the remote module, if anyone knows how it or has a topic link it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll compose a post with the list of part numbers etc later to add.... It's certainly not as easy as a heated steering wheel or AHBA

Thanks

Post #609062 Sat Jan 23 2021 6:47pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Have a look at the tutorial I wrote over on the full size Range Rover forum...

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic57037-15.html

Assuming the fuse is the same on the L494 as L405, remove fuse 1 for at least 5 seconds, then re-install it.
Then, hold down the OFF button on the remote control.
The remote LED will illuminate red for 2 seconds to indicate successful pairing with the receiver.

Hope this helps. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #609071 Sat Jan 23 2021 9:37pm
Jpfour

United Kingdom 

So a little more background my 3.0 Diesel late 2014 (2015MY) L494 came without parking heater/timed climate, having had this feature in my discovery 4 I missed it so having seen Bodsy's thread regarding standard fitment of heaters (or not as it turns out) i decided to retro fit it......

this isn't an comprehensive how to but should highlight any potential pitfalls

1. ITS NOT EASY expect cut hands/arms & swearing particularly if your doing it at ground level like me.... you also need an IID tool or some way of configuring the CCF

my vehicle is a 2015MY UK RHD and has a Vin ending FAxxxxxx as such part numbers will be based on this

I installed the variant WITHOUT the park heat solenoid so it heats the engine and the heater matrix when on, I am yet to determine if this causes a fault, the theory being a preheated engine is far more beneficial than a preheated cabin alone

Parts required.....

FBH assembly : diagram number 18D283
Part numbers; LR049031 (CPLA18K463AF) superseded by LR070451 (CPLA18K463AG) superseded by LR087499 (CPLA18K463AH)

Exhaust : diagram number 9B697A
part numbers; LR036322 (CPLA18K474AC) superseded by LR070499 (CPLA18K474AD)

Fuel pump: Diagram number 1335
Part number LR036297 (CPLA18B505AB)

Fuel line tank to pump: Diagram number 9K299
Part number LR037468 (CPLA9K299AD)
This was superseded for vehicles after HA000000 VIN - not included here

Fuel line pump to front wheel arch: diagram number 9K335A
LR057990 (DPLA9K335AB)
This was Preceded for vehicles up VIN EA162928 - not included here

Fuel Line Wheel arch to heater: Diagram 9K335B
Lots of superseded parts here but appears all are interchangeable
LR044704 (DPLA9K335BA)
LR056211 (DPLA9K335BB)
LR063687 (DPLA9K335BC)
LR068868 (DPLA9K335BD)
LR093346 (DPLA9K335BE)

Fuel Pump loom: Diagram number 9D930
LR043289 (CK529C062BA)

Heater pipe : Diagram 18472A
LR034617 (CPLA18N252AC)

Heater pipe : Diagram 18472B
LR035621 (CPLA18C266AB)

Heater pipe : Diagram 8K520
LR036340 (CPLA18A603AA)

Heater pipe : Diagram 18472C
LR035625 (CPLA8A589AB)

Items to note

Fasteners, I had various OE style integrated washer ones in stock so didn't need to order any however everything i used was M6

wiring, my vehicle was pre wired with blanked plugs both at the fuel tank tank and at the heater.

Fuel tank lift tube, up to VIN ending HA000000 the fuel tank already has a dip tube for the pump this is a blank nipple that needs around 3mm cutting off it to open it up.

the Fuel pump and lines can be installed without dropping the fuel tank, access is under the right hand side rear seat, this is removed by first removing the seat base (two plastic clips at the front edge) then 4 bolts holding the seat frame to the floor, this exposes an access plate to the tank, remove both the rubber grommet and the circular plastic blank, don't worry if the tabs brake on the circular plastic part it is fortunately cheap part number LR056303 (CPLA9C335AC) the plug for the fuel pump is secured to the rubber part

the fuel pump mounts to the chassis directly forward of the fuel tank sender unit, there is a pre threaded hole for the bolt (will add picture later)

fuel lines, these are a huge pain, the rear one drops down from pump and follows the brake lines under the chassis, you need to remove the right hand lower sill cover from under the car and feed the line above the air suspension tank using the spare space in the existing clips. once you get to the front wheel arch you need to remove the rear part of the arch liner still following the brake lines. now for the most difficult bit, in the engine bay the line from the pump to the heater also follows the brake lines, remove the cover behind the right hand front suspension turret exposing the brake servo, you need to follow the route the brake lines take to come out in the right front wheel arch, good luck! you can now connect the front half to the back half using the push fit connector supplied on the rear half.

clip all lines up

install heater, you need to remove the right hand strut brace bar, you may have to counter hold the fasteners on the underside of the suspension turret, you can just about get a 24 mm open end spanner on them if they turn, their 8 sided so a socket is a no-no , the inboard end can be done with the scuttle panel in place through the gap between the panels if you don't mind sore hands.

drop the heater in, note the rubber grommets on the bottom of the bracket come as part of the heater assembly and ARE NOT AVALIABLE SEPERATLEY so make sure yours has them present if its from ebay, heater part of the exhaust should fit through a square cut-out in the arch, i discarded the foam blank in the hole, I have not been able to ascertain if there is some sort of heat resistant variant to replace it? but would love to find out if anyone with a 494/405 with FBH and would pull an arch liner back and check for me?

install exhaust, it only fits in one position between the wheel arch and liner, ***its very tight so make sure nothing can touch it and catch fire*** the outlet appears to fit between the gearbox guard and chassis blowing into the transmission tunnel - I need to confirm this on a vehicle with factory fit heater. i haven't had a fire yet but will be very carefully monitoring this over the first few starts

connect water pipes, self explanatory from parts diagram

connect fuel line

enable in CCF

test from nav screen, manual heat events only work with ignition off, radio button on. alternatively set a timer with the ignition on for 5 mins time then turn the ignition off and wait. It may take a few attempts for the fuel pump to prime and need you to clear a FBH non start fault after each two attempts, mine stayed running on the 4th attempt, at the time of writing the priming routine is not contained in IID tool - i have messaged pat to see if it can be added.

once I have it working I'll add how the remote module is fitted and paired

thanks

Last edited by Jpfour on Sun Jan 24 2021 7:54pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #609073 Sat Jan 23 2021 10:32pm
Jpfour

United Kingdom 

knwatkins wrote:
Have a look at the tutorial I wrote over on the full size Range Rover forum...

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic57037-15.html

Assuming the fuse is the same on the L494 as L405, remove fuse 1 for at least 5 seconds, then re-install it.
Then, hold down the OFF button on the remote control.
The remote LED will illuminate red for 2 seconds to indicate successful pairing with the receiver.

Hope this helps.

mega, thank you, i'll try now!

Post #609074 Sat Jan 23 2021 10:33pm
Jpfour

United Kingdom 

Pairing done,

I unplugged the receiver box as opposed to removing the fuse.

For an L494 up to vin HA999999 its part number LR033462 Eng. PN CPLA18D540AA, on my vehicle the connectors were hidden behind the electronic parking brake module... not at all easy to see but pre wired.

the guide for the L405 from knwatkins above is spot on and the component locations appear very similar if not the same.

i had to install the antenna module in addition to the above receiver as i don't (yet) have factory TV the antenna module is fitted higher up behind the pillar trim that hides the airbag again pre terminated loom part number up to vin GA999999 iis LR024158 Eng. PN BJ3219G255CA, all the L494 rear windows have the antenna points on them as far as i can see - antenna module ringed in red

Post #609076 Sat Jan 23 2021 11:06pm
SC247

United Kingdom 

Hi
This is very intresting I miss my heater too from previous models can you give a cost of upgrade please and how long it took to install.

Post #609087 Sun Jan 24 2021 12:19pm
Jpfour

United Kingdom 

Just added up the prices, it cost me just under £400 sourcing most of the parts from eBay, you also need IID tool or similar for your CCF

The heater itself, the two modules for the remote and the fuel pump were purchased used. The fuel lines and exhaust were new old stock.

In terms of time to fit it took me about 12/14 hours at a very relaxed pace, it would be considerably easier second time around of course. The biggest pain is running the fuel lines in as the panel that you have to remove is big and akward without a ramp, lay on your back. I also undid a few things I didn't need too but you live and learn. I'd say it's doable in a long day 2014 (2015MY) 3.0D L494 Owner

Post #609092 Sun Jan 24 2021 2:21pm
TubaPlayer

United Kingdom 

Jpfour wrote:

Hi Jpfour,
I'm trying to fit the antenna module and struggling to remove the trim that it goes behind, is there a trick to it? Are the cables already in to go from the antenna module to the fbh remote module? 2016 Black SDV8 Autobiography
2013 Grey Black Edition SDV6 (lasted a while but gone now)
2005 Grey Supercharged Sport (gone but never forgotten)

Post #611083 Sat Mar 06 2021 11:06pm
TubaPlayer

United Kingdom 

Has anyone managed to fit the FBH remote module? I have installed the antenna and have the FBH box but can't find the plug in the loom. I have looked behind the EPB module but can't see it there. 2016 Black SDV8 Autobiography
2013 Grey Black Edition SDV6 (lasted a while but gone now)
2005 Grey Supercharged Sport (gone but never forgotten)

Post #611533 Mon Mar 15 2021 11:15pm
SC247

United Kingdom 

Hi its very hard to see the cables but remove this in red and you will see them

Post #612077 Mon Mar 29 2021 4:11pm
SC247

United Kingdom 

Hi can anyone tell me the LR part number for the hoses circled in red.

Post #612239 Sat Apr 03 2021 2:13pm
grant.tucker@ntlworld.com

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Hi the part number is LR 034599 if yours is 3L diesel with timed climate

Post #619878 Fri Dec 10 2021 4:22pm
Russtyp

United Kingdom 

How do you identify what make of heater is fitted
I’ve enabled the timed climate and that works but not sure what receiver I need
The car is the 4.4 diesel.

Post #628276 Wed Nov 16 2022 4:05pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 

chances are you have the Eberspacher.
if you look at the top of the heater, you should be able to make out bits of the logo. Webasto and Eberspacher are different.

check that you have the wires in the Drivers side rear, i have spent several hours now looking for the wires in the back of my 23016 SDV8 AB, and not found them yet!!!

if you don have the wire there, its still possible i think, but just a bit more complicated....

Post #629364 Fri Dec 23 2022 8:40am
Russtyp

United Kingdom 

Thank you for the reply.
And yes it is the Eberspacher unit and had to unbolt the unit that SC247 identified, and the wires were tucked in behind it.
All working just the range is not that good.

Post #629370 Fri Dec 23 2022 11:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>