RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Headlight Xenon bulb change L494
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

pjbracer1

England 
Headlight Xenon bulb change L494

HI all has anyone dont this? Ive not seen many instructions on it, found tube vid that shwoed taking out the airbox behind them is a way to avoid remoibng the headlights but wondered if anyone has tkaen the lights out or done the airbox removal way?

Thinking of upgrading the bulbs to the Osram Night Breaker Laser's as they get good reviews.

Cheers If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #608741 Sun Jan 17 2021 1:09pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Yes. It’s a fiddle. But can be done by just taking out the back cover to remove bulb.

No air box removal required. 2022 P440e AB

Post #608752 Sun Jan 17 2021 5:58pm
pjbracer1

England 

Ahh ok cool i might have a look then, didnt really fancy messing about with the bumper if im honest as they never go back quite as easy as they are supposed to, the old L320 head lights came out really easy couble of bolts I think and a pull tab

Cheers If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #608753 Sun Jan 17 2021 6:44pm
DZ

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I changed the D3S HID bulbs this past weekend and followed the "airbox removal" method. It is very straight forward and gives you much better access to the bulbs.

Removing the airboxes is a matter of undoing 6x philips head screws (to lift off the top cover and remove the actual filter element). Loosen the jubilee clip holding lower airbox to the airflow meter. Remove 1x rubber airhose from the lower airbox cover (only on the passenger side airbox - UK MODEL). The lower airbox cover is held in place by 3x plastic pins. To remove it, first lift the engine-side of the box UP and then push the airbox towards the centre of the engine. Now that the airbox is out you'e got ample access to the headlight bulb.

To remove the bulb, first remove the plastic cover by twisting it counter clockwise. To remove the bulb, twist it counter clockwise and carefully pull it out. Note that the connector is located at the bottom.

Reassemble the airbox in the reverse order making sure that you reattach the airhose on the passenger side! This is easy to miss.

A bit of advice, when installing the new bulbs make sure you attach the connector first. Trying to do this when the bulb is already in the housing proved nearly impossible due to access restrictions. Also, twisting the new bulbs clockwise proved quite tough. When properly installed, the bulb connector should be at the bottom and the D3S "box" perfectly square (not at an angle - sorry, I don't know how else to describe this).

All in all, the whole operation (both sides) took me about 30 minutes and only required a philips head screwdriver (airbox screws) and a flat head screwdriver (airflow jubilee clip).

I replaced the original Philips XenStart HID bulbs with Osram Xenarc Night Breaker Laser bulbs (D3S 35W) bought on Amazon. They're expensive but you pay for quality. Both are rated at 4500K but the Osrams appear to throw the light much further.

I hope this little write up is of use to someone.

Best,

Dan MY17 RRS Autobiography - Corris Grey

Post #609230 Tue Jan 26 2021 7:23pm
pjbracer1

England 

Ok cool, I bought a set of the Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Laser DS3 bulbe yesterday form AutoBulbs Direct (also known as HID's4U) they are only up the road from me so could go an collect.

I've just taken some pics of my oem ones that are in the car so will try and change them over tomorrow, as it sounds like an ok job and post some pics after to see if there is a difference or not (im mainly changing as the current ones the passenger side occasionally gives a flicker so my be on its way out so just getting ahead of the game whilst there is tiem to kill!

The Osrams are supposed to be the best ones to get and yeah not cheap but I guess they last quite a while so why not!

I did buy a set off of ebay at first so called open box ones at a snip of the price so thought id risk it, but when they arrived they were just the Xenarc Originals bulbs as the part part numbers were different (I think the guy selling them might have thought they were as they said Xenarc on them or he could have just been a male chicken! I sent them back after many arguements trying to explain that they were the bulbs he sent but they were not the ones being advertised! (he gave me a refund and I sent them back) just as well he gave me the refund first as the male chicken tried a scam by telling me they were broken and I had sent back different bulbs, basicllay trying to pull a final scam!

So word to the wise dont buy from ebay unless they are a business seller and only use paypal so you are covered, as these are expensive bulbs people will try it on!

Correct part number is 66340XNL

I took the gamble as he accepted an offer for £60 as they were open box!

Cheers for the heads up Ill give it a go tomorrow If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #609231 Tue Jan 26 2021 7:55pm
DZ

United Kingdom 

My passenger headlight occasionally flickered for about 3 weeks before giving up the ghost completely.

Good luck with the swap - it's not as difficult as it looks. MY17 RRS Autobiography - Corris Grey

Post #609243 Wed Jan 27 2021 1:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1