RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Performance air intake (Caldoofy) etc for 4.2 sc.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Fire1

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Performance air intake (Caldoofy) etc for 4.2 sc.

Hi all, has anyone fitted a performance intake to their 4.2?
All I can seem to find is ones suitable for the full fat with the air box on the other side.
Someone must have done something!

Post #608339 Fri Jan 08 2021 5:36pm
mgrover

i mean isn't it just flipped the other way? might just need a longer valve cover breather pipe

Post #608350 Fri Jan 08 2021 10:48pm
Fire1

Well you’d think so but the description on eBay says it fits the configuration where the airbox is on the right only!

Post #608354 Sat Jan 09 2021 9:03am
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Found this kit twice.

It shows the Vogue but says for representation only and specs the sport:

https://www.minagallery.com/range-rover-sp...2006-2009/

https://www.amazon.com/MGC-Collection-Perf...B0039H89X6

And here's a very small pic of one installed from RangeRovers.net:

Regards 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #608388 Sun Jan 10 2021 7:58am
Fire1

Yes it does indeed thank you for that.
I just need to decide now whether it’s worth the import tax or not!
I’m amazed no one on here has done this mod on their sport.

Post #608399 Sun Jan 10 2021 12:34pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Isn't that just breathing hot air from the engine bay? They mention dyno figure increases but dyno runs are usually done with the bonnet open and a big fan blowing to keep everything cool. Close everything down and it's breathing hot air from the engine bay rather than cool air from outside (as the standard system does).

What other work have you done to your engine to increase performance? If nothing else has been done then this mod will likely make no difference at all because the engine already gets enough air with the standard intake system. You'd be better off doing the pulley mod to get some more power.

Ultimately, the air is still going through the same section of pipe from the filter to the inlet and that can only flow so much air. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #608451 Mon Jan 11 2021 10:43am
mgrover

I think if you wanna increase POWAAAAA, just get the uprated pulley. Its defo a bit more omph, but from what my butt tells me, its only a bit more.

Or atleast I think its moves the POWAAA own the rev range a bit so its always accessible.

Post #608452 Mon Jan 11 2021 11:07am
Fire1

Thanks guys, it wasn’t strictly for power it’s more basics just to make it slightly more efficient-easier air in easier exhaust out.
Regards the pulley though, can it be fitted stand alone, according to its sales pages it can but I’ve read so many say it needs a remap too?

Post #608454 Mon Jan 11 2021 11:37am
mgrover

nah i don't think it needs a remap, its only like 2.5psi which means the ecu can handle it. if you don't want the hassle of doing it yourself id give these guys a shout, they did mine and were helpful every step of the way.

https://www.powerhouse.uk/

i just basically took out the supercharger, took off the snout(careful theres oil in there), and drove down and did a straight swap with them

Post #608455 Mon Jan 11 2021 11:45am
RRSTDV8

Fire1 wrote:
Thanks guys, it wasn’t strictly for power it’s more basics just to make it slightly more efficient-easier air in easier exhaust out.

The point is that the standard inlet system won't be hampering it because they're designed to work together at the tune its already set to. It just looks like one of those hot hatch boy racer things "look, I've got a big filter, it's gonna kill everything at the lights, innit". A bespoke remap with the filter in place would make sense, but just slapping the filter on?

But hey, it's your money. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #608465 Mon Jan 11 2021 4:30pm
cristian.s

Germany 

Hi guys,
I was finding this topic trough Google, and I thought some of my experience will help people in here.
A simple increase in the intake diameter to 3.5” , give these results. - no other mood made. (Dyno for intake+TB not yet ready- is being said at the end of this month - we will see some)
I personally worked for the new Throttle body suitable for the 4.2 V8 Engines fitted on XKR and XJ Jaguars. The XKR & XJ owners they actually take the RR intake to get more air.
So For sure The 3.5" + 83mmThrottle body will make a very noticeable difference.
Did anybody else except Fire1 considered tuning their RR intake?

Post #608834 Tue Jan 19 2021 1:41pm
RRSTDV8

What effect does removing the Helmholtz resonators from the intake tract have? Looks like you lose some low down power.

Seems like a lot of messing for 11hp. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #608849 Tue Jan 19 2021 5:11pm
cristian.s

Germany 

Thanks for the proper welcome RRSTDV8 Very Happy
I do not own this car, or the other jaguars where such parts are installed. I just built some parts.. and I still do.

Your question first part of it:
Helmholtz resonators as their name - are for attenuating sound. Helmoltz resonators consist in a vibrating chamber having a tuned volume for certain fixed fq- the cruise engine speed-where usually you are driving the car longer time

Helmholtz resonators are used the same in intake pre -airboxes as well as in the exhaust - mufflers. The difference is in intake, because is suction and the very end side of the air flow circuit- The turbulence of the resonator to the system is minimal , sometimes none.
But for the muffler in exhaust is different- because the neck of resonator is not on the very end, the volume of the muffler is standing between the full exhaust upfront and the very end- where gases released into the atmosphere .
More than that , exhaust flow is relying in part of the pressure drop from hot to cold air to help releasing the gases. End mufflers are having a considerable volume of cold air , and gases at the end of exhaust pipes are already not so hot.
So there volume interferes with exhaust gases, affects the flow and performance.

Second part of your question. More like a teasing statement: The red curve can be seen is gradually going up almost with the same smoothness as stock (no rapid drops or spikes) This means "a lot of messing" is really not valid .
The messy performance will look like this - marked in yellows , we don't see such on the previous dyno results:

Back to our jaguar engine:
On the other hand , the only rpm range where red (with the wider intake ) is lower than the blue (the stock) is between ~3350 to 3750 rpm- which is a very short window with almost same loss -maybe 1.5 max , as the gain of the rest of RPM range.

This means the total amount of energy you will put on the ground will be way bigger even with that loss (from 3350 -3750).
Because the rest is almost same 11hp/10Nm all over the curves , we can consider just linear function ->
100/(6500/400) = 6% of your revs from 0 to 6500 RPM you loose 16.5hp and 15Nm , 94% of your revs you gain 11hp and 10Nm

We can't get further into debates what if some likes to drive the car only between that range 3350 to 3750-- for sure they are not into performance - cruise control limiter and running on pretty stable revs is more into fuel economy and long mileage ...though 3k RPM is a bit too high for the budget driving.

Post #608869 Wed Jan 20 2021 8:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1