RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Other than Pirelli?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

PeteF74

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
Other than Pirelli?

Sorry if I am going over old ground but I wondered if anyone can recommend any tyres other than the Pirelli Scorpion?

I have 275/40/20 Scorpions on at the moment and looking to replace those soon. I am mainly driving the car on the road but as and when restrictions are lifted I am hoping to venture off road a bit.

Can't find much out there other than the Scorpions to be honest. Pete

2011 SDV6 HSE - Owned since July 2020
1989 Range Rover Classic 3.5 Vogue Manual - sold

Post #608187 Tue Jan 05 2021 5:20pm
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Depends how much off roading and type you're planning to do.

I'd say definitely increase to a 275/45R20. Then you could get a General Grabber AT3 .

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #608189 Tue Jan 05 2021 5:48pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

The Scorpions were designed specifically for LR, more to do with the weight and possible off tarmac use of their products.

Those from Michelin and Continental have more pliable sidewalls which in your size (40 series aspect ratio) will give a less thumpy ride, however, they will wear on the shoulders before the centre of the tyre gets anywhere near illegal.

I use the Scorpion in 45 series, it rides better and for me is the only tyre for these vehicles, but my mileage is based on tarmac use only, but would happily see me alright on most surfaces other than full off-road.

I have 5 Continentals in 275/45 x 20 that I decided were too soft for my Disco Commercial for sale if you wanted, they were offered on here, but PM me if you're interested.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #608190 Tue Jan 05 2021 5:55pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: Other than Pirelli?

PeteF74 wrote:
Sorry if I am going over old ground but I wondered if anyone can recommend any tyres other than the Pirelli Scorpion?

I have 275/40/20 Scorpions on at the moment and looking to replace those soon. I am mainly driving the car on the road but as and when restrictions are lifted I am hoping to venture off road a bit.

Can't find much out there other than the Scorpions to be honest.

Which Scorpion are you running? Scorpion is a whole family of tyres - I run the Scorpion AT+, for example.

When you say you want to venture off road a bit, what sort of off road are you envisaging? As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Grabber AT3 is a good all terrain, has the benefit of being winter rated, and handles well on the road and off it. Deep, gloopy mud will defeat it, as will very wet grass but then both will defeat most tyres this side of a full-on MT type tyre.

I've used both the Scorpion AT+ (currently) and the Grabber AT3 and can recommend both if you want a good all round tyre. Both will hit your mpg a bit, but both are good on tarmac and good off it, both are winter rated, both handle motorways and twisty roads well - the AT3 probably the slightly better when "pushing on", both require compromises to ensure you take account of their slightly less effective tarmac braking than a pure road tyre will provide. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #608194 Tue Jan 05 2021 6:32pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I stand corrected RRSTDV8, yes there are many Pirelli Scorpion tyres.

My only experience has been of the Verde All Season ones, although I have just bought some of their replacement, Zero All Season for stock.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #608196 Tue Jan 05 2021 6:39pm
RRT

United Kingdom 

Having done 2 complimentary LR Experiences (Evoque and RRS), my thought on being introduced to the vehicle is the easiest way to enhance the off road ability of the vehicle is to have a more aggressive tyre fitted, so a quick check has revealed they were both running on Scorpion All Season Verde. MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #608202 Wed Jan 06 2021 9:12am
RRSTDV8

Pirelli have made it difficult by having 2 versions of the Scorpion Verde All Season (a winter rated one and one that isn't winter rated) and then adding the Zero All Season which they don't give an off road figure for on their website. It's a bit better as a road tyre, however, according to Pirelli's scoring. If I was going for a road tyre, I'd probably go for that one.

The thing is, you either accept the compromise of a decent all terrain tyre for year round use and have the added off road grip when you want/need it, or you run a set of tyres for most of your use and then a separate set for "playing" that could be more aggressive because you don't need to compromise off road ability for on road comfort and safety. It comes down to what sort of "off road" you want to do. The Scorpion Verde and the Zero All Season will go a long way if you're careful. Sure, they'll be more susceptible to cuts from stones and they won't be as good in mud but they'll get through quite a bit. It's worth remembering that the better the tyre, the further in to trouble you can go before you get stuck. Laughing

I've almost been stuck on the Scorpion AT+ on a very wet grass field last winter when checking a friend's sheep. A gateway with a step in the track on the other side of it. Couldn't go too fast because of the step so ended up losing momentum. Got out on my own but I was starting to think about making a phone call. It's amazing how very wet grassland can stop a vehicle. It's like driving on ice. And a little while ago, three of us did a day in mid-Wales on the Strata Florida. 2 RRS on ATs, the third on worn winter road tyres. The winter road tyres got round just fine until they picked up a puncture on the road! So you can do some quite fun tracks on standard tyres. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #608205 Wed Jan 06 2021 10:35am
Silverstone

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Baltic Blue

I'm another fan of the General Grabber AT3 which I have fitted in 275/40 r20 V spec to my L320. They are good for my driving which is mostly road work. On the limit they will never be as good as a dedicated road tyre. However, they do handle all but the wettest of mud quite well.

These pictures are from the only occasion I have needed a tow following the fitting of the AT3 tyres (I was trying to avoid a deep mud hole on a track and instead drove down the edge of my client's fallow field).

There is no replacement for displacement - W O Bentley

MY2013 5.0 Supercharged HSE L320

Post #608207 Wed Jan 06 2021 10:45am
PeteF74

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay getting back here! I have been wrapped up in work, home schooling and now they want us to be full time 'premier league' football coaches from home with a full training and development plan!?!

I am on AT's at the moment and in terms of off road it will be my first venture in the RRS so I plan to do something not too challenging and Green Adventure Tours in Shropshire seem to offer some good starter trips.

I once used my RR Classic in Heavy Snow and Ice on blocked country lanes and that was on standard tyres but did quite well although I am sure my clutch wouldn't have agreed! I was also chased across wet hillside fields in an L200 by some very angry cows (long story) and the L200 did surprisingly well but it was a bit like ice racing.

I will have a look out for the Grabbers ( I like the wheels you have Silverstone!) but they seem quite hard to find?

'It's worth remembering that the better the tyre, the further in to trouble you can go before you get stuck' I'll remember that Laughing Laughing Pete

Post #608622 Fri Jan 15 2021 12:09pm
PeteF74

Correction.. Not AT's - they are Zeros! Pete

Post #608627 Fri Jan 15 2021 12:23pm
Silverstone

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Baltic Blue

PeteF74 wrote:
I will have a look out for the Grabbers ( I like the wheels you have Silverstone!) but they seem quite hard to find?

My V rated General Grabber AT3's in 275/40 r20 last year cost for the four £596.76 from Tyreleader and fitted in Northampton for £36 (incl VAT). Therefore a grand total of £632.76 which is not bad for 40 profile and V rated.

The wheels on mine are the standard ones for the MY2013 Supercharged Cool There is no replacement for displacement - W O Bentley

MY2013 5.0 Supercharged HSE L320

Post #608644 Fri Jan 15 2021 4:05pm
PeteF74

Thanks Thumbs Up

Can honestly say that I have never noticed that turbine design before until I saw the picture of your car. Pete

Post #608650 Fri Jan 15 2021 5:08pm
gavcav

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Really glad i've found this..I never thought reading about tyres could be so interesting until i needed to buy a full set?
This is my first RRS so i'm not familiar with the most suitable ALL SEASON tyres for this vehicle. Has anyone had any experience driving with the Michelin CrossClimates in 275/45/20? (don't believe they're available in 275/40/20? I've been considering these after reading up on the various test results for 4x4 all seasons (auto bild, auto express etc.) where they get very good reviews. Also considering the Vredestein Quatrac pro, Hankook 4S2 and the hard to find Bridgestone WCA005.
I don't go off-roading apart from occassionally having to drive along some country gravel tracks now and again. So they main thing having young kids is good wet and dry handling and braking and secondly, to have not bad cold weather performance.
One thing i have learnt from a friend whose brother runs a gearbox overhaul centre in teeside, is always try to replace all 4 tyres at once, and if you can't replace all 4 in one go, then replace at the very minimum 2..fitting these at the rear and transposing the rears to the front. Apparently it can damage your drive/gearbox?
Anyway, I'd be very grateful for your tyre opinions and any other advice to help make my decision..i've been trying to decide for weeks but cannot make the final decision!

Regs Gav

Post #608816 Mon Jan 18 2021 11:07pm
RRSTDV8

We have the Michelin Cross Climates on SWMBO car. Obviously the car version rather than the SUV version but I think the latter is just the load rating. They're a decent tyre and have had no problems with them but then it doesn't get asked to do too much.

As for the changing of the tyres as a set of 4. Yes, in an ideal world we would ensure they all wore down equally and change as a set. On the RRS, running the two axles at different tread depths isn't an issue. The centre diff runs as an open diff almost all of the times with it locking only when you're getting in to more serious conditions. Locking is achieved by way of a multiplate clutch. Thus the small difference in speed between the axles isn't an issue.

On cars that have a viscous coupling centre diff, or a torsen centre diff, the difference in speed between the axles can cause the diff to "react" and that will cause premature wear. Vehicles such as the Freelander used to have a viscous coupling and they were prone to issues if the tyres were badly mismatched I seem to remember.

Note that the L494 (new shape) RRS could be had with a torsen centre diff in HSE trim. Known as the single speed transfer box. With one of those I might be more concerned to rotate the tyres to balance wear. But otherwise, I wouldn't be too worried. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #608820 Tue Jan 19 2021 12:29am
lkdgndg1

I’m very new to ranger rover sport ownership but my car came with Nexians all round and I’m wondering if that’s why it’s terrible to drive when running over the grooves that lorries leave in the road , feels dangerous at times , are Range Rover sports normally like this .

Post #609353 Fri Jan 29 2021 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>