Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > P400e Hybrid experience update
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 
P400e Hybrid experience update

Hi folks

5mths in with 4000miles on the clock and average 45mpg.

Fabulous drive

Some feedback
* Had the InControl app freeze on me (known Velar legacy issue with car failing to communicate with the app) software sent by LR updated over the airways with car on my drive and installed by myself (click install now, turn car off and lock doors and hey presto) to version 19.2 (from 18.2) - I dunno who was more surprised that this worked, me or the lady at LR in Coventry (she was ecstatic.. )
*The latest remote app to use btw is the one with the white background which gives additional features like setting the temp on the pre conditioning and a guardian alert if car is disturbed. I had the old green lozenge app loaded.

All in all it continues to be a fabulous experience.. i did a 0-60 test in motorway mode and sand mode...5.7 !!!... the most impressive acceleration is from 30 to ###... untimed but ridiculous !

And dont have e-handbrake on if you want to roast someone at the lights, the release is too slow

Take it easy

BoldlyGo P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #607021 Thu Nov 26 2020 7:51pm
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 

I agree with you, mainly. I am about 1 month into owning a P400e and like it very much. It is absolutely lovely.

What I don't like is the Remote app. I have both the old one and new one on my iPhone, and think that the new app is cr*p. I use the old one because it has a button for turning on the pre-conditioning. The new app doesn't have it at all!

Post #607023 Thu Nov 26 2020 8:26pm
Nano2nd

United Kingdom 

Quote:
What I don't like is the Remote app. I have both the old one and new one on my iPhone, and think that the new app is cr*p. I use the old one because it has a button for turning on the pre-conditioning. The new app doesn't have it at all!

see the other thread running, its does now finally!  2020 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic

Post #607044 Fri Nov 27 2020 1:03pm
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 

Thanks. I've updated the app, and the pre-conditioning button does work. Pre-conditioning seems to use about 3% of the battery. However, the charging wire is a bit warm when I unplug the car at the end of pre-conditioning, so there must be some contribution from the mains, even if it is via the battery.

Post #607059 Fri Nov 27 2020 10:49pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I still remember my P400e test drive, my eyes nearly popped out of my head under full acceleration on a dual carriageway. I’m used to it now, but coming from a 3.0 TDV6 it felt very good. I love this drivetrain. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #607078 Sun Nov 29 2020 1:11am
Michael997

United Kingdom 
Back to diesel

I have had two p400e RRS’s in the last 12 months, the first I rejected the second I am part exchanging tomorrow on a diesel.
All the favourable points mentioned above are my experience, but for me the range has become an issue on electric when cold I can set off with a fully charged range of 21 (which is poor) but driving like a Sunday driver still lucky to achieve 12-13 miles on electric only which is barely worth the trouble of charging it.
What finally persuaded me to go back to diesel was the petrol mpg of 22 on a return trip to London, I have also had 5 Land Rover call outs to fix the car and one requiring a low loader visit to dealership for a repair.
So in summary a great idea but not perfected and the quoted electric range un achievable on the two I have owned
Michael Michael
2013 RRS diesel Autobiography Dynamic

Post #608587 Thu Jan 14 2021 4:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nano2nd

United Kingdom 

Quote:
the range has become an issue on electric when cold I can set off with a fully charged range of 21 (which is poor) but driving like a Sunday driver still lucky to achieve 12-13 miles on electric only

that's pretty much exactly what i'm getting at the mo too (with the heated seats on i guess), it is less that i was expecting i'll be honest, however most of our journeys are less that 10miles, so its still working for me...not sure if its saving much (or any)... i do feel slightly better about being greener on EV.  2020 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic

Post #608592 Thu Jan 14 2021 6:14pm
markymarkf

United Kingdom 

I too only kept mine for a short 12 months.

I did like the car but range was poorer than I though it would be and MPG not very good on a long run once you had depleted the EV

MPG in the p400e on a 300 mile journey 24 ish same journey in the SVR 22 ish. So a no brainer for me. I guess I just used it as a stepping stone into and SVR

But still a very good car for those that can live with the constant charging.

However the SVR is not without its faults and my first RR to have to go back for multiple issues from delivery. For those with a my21.5 SVR its with getting your sunroof checked out especially if it make a lot of creaking sounds as its a known fault as confirmed by my dealer yesterday.

so for now I have a defender loaner

yep I know the pictures are the wrong way but nothing is normal these days so I can live with it SVR Carbon Edition in Estoril Blue MY 21.5

P400e HSE Dynamic full on black with black pack, Meridian surround sound, Fixed Pano roof.

Past MY17 SDV6 HSE Dynamic Yulong White and ivory leather.

Post #608596 Thu Jan 14 2021 6:57pm
DaleD53

England 

Hi Folks,

I am a new member to the group and currently preparing to embark on RRS ownership. Some really interesting and useful feedback here, thanks for sharing.

I thought I had decided on the P400e as it seems to be a really good package, all the reviews and tests I have read report approx 21 to 24 miles per electric charge and when running on petrol alone 25 to 30 mpg. Your real world reports are definitely food for thought and are now starting to make me hesitate/reconsider!

I definitely want to move away from diesel so perhaps if there isn’t much difference in mpg one of the other petrol engines may be a better choice..... of course a lot depends on how hard you press the go pedal ! If the P400e returned an overall average of say 30 or 35 mpg combined electric/petrol I would definitely still go for this model though Thumbs Up

Post #608606 Fri Jan 15 2021 12:24am
Michael997

United Kingdom 

Hi Dale
It comes down to your journeys, if you are doing very short runs then fine but in cold weather you would be lucky to see 15 miles even in the summer the best I got was early 20’s and once on Petrol you will only see early 20’s sorry Michael
2013 RRS diesel Autobiography Dynamic

Post #608609 Fri Jan 15 2021 8:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nano2nd

United Kingdom 

DaleD53 wrote:

I definitely want to move away from diesel so perhaps if there isn’t much difference in mpg one of the other petrol engines may be a better choice..... of course a lot depends on how hard you press the go pedal ! If the P400e returned an overall average of say 30 or 35 mpg combined electric/petrol I would definitely still go for this model though Thumbs Up

i think that's pretty achievable, like i said most of my short journeys track at 250MPG+ okay yes if you do short journeys in deep winter on ICE only 20Mpg+ is a thing, its a big heavy car afterall... but in the same scenario my 3.0d X3 would only manage 25MPG.

as an example i did 69mile round trip from Leicester to Nottingham on December 21 (so cold), this was 4 up using the toys... 39.6MPG round trip that includes using a full quota of battery charge on the journey.

If you have easy access to free power sources then it makes a huge difference, i did a week on the IOW and did over 250 miles on EV, i only paid £3.50 for electricity - (which gave me £4.50 parking for free) the rest was using free charging points and plugging in at my lodge.

my cars done 1600 miles now (since October) i've still for 1/2 tank on my second tank full - most of my first tank went on getting from Leicester to the IOW and back  2020 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic

Post #608620 Fri Jan 15 2021 12:04pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Just back from a 400mile round trip approx 37mpg overall. Factor in the additional purchase cost of the hybrid and thats an awful lot of miles before it becomes a good deal. I'll stick with diesel until I'm legislated off the road. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #608624 Fri Jan 15 2021 12:15pm
Nano2nd

United Kingdom 

for me the Hybrid was a significantly cheaper purchase than the Diesel equivalent  2020 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic

Post #608629 Fri Jan 15 2021 12:29pm
DaleD53

England 

Well it looks like it may be back on !

My normal use breaks down like this:

Normal commute is 70 miles so it seems that should see a favourable mpg return using the mix of ICE and EV power Thumbs Up

Multiple short runs (shopping, dog walks, dropping kids off etc) usually around 10 or 15 miles so should be excellent using electric power Thumbs Up

A couple of very long trips (when the world is back to normal) fully loaded and towing a caravan ( e.g down through France/Spain). I expect economy during these trips to be disastrous ! Probably high teens ? Big Cry

Although one of the draws to this vehicle is that it has won a towing award. Anyway I don’t think I should necessarily discount the vehicle solely based on a couple of trips during the year ?

I am a keen motorist (petrol head !) and so far as I am concerned you have to have a vehicle that stirs the emotions and makes you feel good..... out of all the vehicles I have been researching I have ended up here...... from what I can see the RRS looks awesome, it’s now just a case of which one Thumbs Up

Post #608641 Fri Jan 15 2021 3:49pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Your short runs rule out diesel. So that means, perhaps, a choice between P400e (PHEV) and P400 (6 cylinder MHEV). I hear the 3.0 MHEV is really very good indeed, extremely smooth and does not lug around 200kg of battery!

But I have the P400e fatty and I do not measure MPG generally speaking as it makes no difference to me, 20 mpg or 40 mpg who cares. I do recall on long European trips in Save mode I was getting 30 mpg easy with 80 mph runs, it’ll do more on 60 mph runs. I do not tow. And yes, I agree, no point shopping for that towing use case if it’s just a couple of times a year.

From a driving experience perspective, which is why I bought mine, the stop start is just fabulous. When driving you struggle to know if on electric or petrol. Even with 0% battery you still get electric running at low speeds making traffic jams very relaxing. And it is fast, including nice and fast off the line at roundabouts etc. I got 46 miles EV range on a single charge once... in the Alps, lots of downhills I guess!

Check out Harry’s Garage on the Sport P400e
 L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #608661 Fri Jan 15 2021 10:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>