RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Land Rover Extended Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jd2uk

United Kingdom 
Land Rover Extended Warranty

My RRS will be three years old next June and I intend to keep it for another 2-3 years (it's only done 15,000 miles and is in great condition).

I've read the many threads around Land Rover extended warranty vs. Warranty Direct and others - in particular around the crankshaft issue.

Has anyone owned a RRS from new, taken out a Land Rover extended warranty and not had the crankshaft issue covered by either the warranty and/or Land Rover? I know there have been a few cases where people have not owned the vehicle from new and Land Rover was less willing to assist.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Post #606946 Tue Nov 24 2020 1:53pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Is it worth relying on Land Rover goodwill because that’s what it is, it varies so much, plus you will have to keep using dealers for servicing. Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #606952 Tue Nov 24 2020 6:48pm
jd2uk

United Kingdom 

I have a five year service plan so would be using a main dealer for servicing anyway.

I would prefer the LR product if possible. I don’t think I have read of a single case where an owner has owned the car from new, had the extended warranty and had to pay for their own repair (hence the reason for this post).

Post #606954 Tue Nov 24 2020 8:18pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

For what it’s worth, if I was still in my 5 year servicing. I’d stick with an LR warranty. Just for that combination of ease, continuity and being committed to the brand. Then (surely) JLR has to authorise the goodwill.

That said, they refused my ARC pipe replacement (within extended warranty and 5 years of service) but goodwilled 40% of the £2400 quote.

So, my view is, I they won’t cover something that should (imho) be covered, I switched to indies and no warranty going forward. I don’t now perceive the value in overpriced servicing to maybe make a goodwill claim. Once bitten....

At the end of the day, It’s an insurance product. Normally, insurers make money.

No wrong answer here I guess. 2022 P440e AB

Post #606962 Wed Nov 25 2020 10:42am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Interestingly, when I had an LR Extended Warranty and used LR dealerships for servicing etc., the warranty took a good kicking. They even used the warranty to cover the cost of replacing stuff they broke!

When I changed to using an indie, fewer things require doing. I don't have a warranty these days (112k miles so out of scope for LR's offering) and I've had to pay out a couple of times and as one was exhaust related, they wouldn't pay that anyway.

As said, it's an insurance policy. You can self-insure and for many they'll be better off if they do. It's only the risk of a biggy such as a major failure that might make the warranty worth having, but then they exclude some major stuff anyway. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #606966 Wed Nov 25 2020 1:03pm
Canary

England 

Interesting topic i will need extended warranty shortly, the only reason why I might go JLr over WD is because of having access to LR assist which is handy when the closest dealer is an hour away here in the Highlands and that's if I can get the car to them which is im thinking main warranty might better.

Am I wrong in thinking this? MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect 👍
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect 👌
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect 👌
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect 👌
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #606971 Wed Nov 25 2020 4:55pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

as a comparison, I have had the LR extended warranty sales pitch today, you have to go for the Extended rather than Select as Select has a £3k max for each claim. The extended is £1222 for one year, without assistance (I need AA anyway), so based on that, if the price didn’t go up, I would be £3666 for 3 years, whereas I can take what I want for £2100 with WD and that is the price fixed, Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #606972 Wed Nov 25 2020 5:22pm
jd2uk

United Kingdom 

Just got a quote on the Land Rover website and it came out at £892 per year with no claim limit.

Post #606973 Wed Nov 25 2020 5:30pm
Canary

England 

Dave-t wrote:
as a comparison, I have had the LR extended warranty sales pitch today, you have to go for the Extended rather than Select as Select has a £3k max for each claim. The extended is £1222 for one year, without assistance (I need AA anyway), so based on that, if the price didn’t go up, I would be £3666 for 3 years, whereas I can take what I want for £2100 with WD and that is the price fixed,

Thats strange pricing indeed, I swapped a my16 SDV8 45k miles and JLR quoted £950 for extended not the "select"

I would definitely take WD with that price difference for sure don't blame you! MY18 SCV8 Satin flux silver
Gone:
MY19 SV VELAR AUTOBIOGRAPHY firenze red
MY18 SCV8 Yulong white- perfect 👍
MY16 SDV8 SANTORINI BLACK - perfect 👌
MY64 SCV8 DARK BLUE - nightmare car
MY64 SCV8 FIRENZE RED - loads of annoying issues
MY15 SDV6 FIRENZE RED - perfect 👌
MY12 SDV6 DISCO4 IPANEMA SAND - perfect 👌
MY09 TDV6 SPORT BLUE - lots of issues

Post #607016 Thu Nov 26 2020 5:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1