RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Help with man maths and others....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tedc01

United Kingdom 
Help with man maths and others....

Afternoon all,

First post be gentle.....šŸ˜¬

My 3.0d AB is just coming up to 3 years old with 60k on the clock.... itā€™s been a lovely car to own but looking at the future I need a warranty and assistance which will be circa Ā£800-1k, road-tax and then depreciation, probably Ā£550pm - Rockar saying I would lose Ā£650 pm on a part-ex quote every four weeks .

So year 1 ā€œcostsā€:-

* Depreciating asset Ā£550 pm - assuming it levels out over the year
* Road tax Ā£450- say Ā£40 pm
* Warranty/ assistance Ā£80 pm

So total ( forgetting service/ tyres which I will need to do maybe earlier with current car) of approx Ā£670 pm.....if I sell I have about Ā£35k in cash.

My mileages has reduced with quite a few smaller journeys so will go for hybrid/petrol.
Looking at PCH this time, I can lease a RRS hybrid dynamic for approx Ā£882 pm on 15k over 36 months...so getting on for Ā£200 pm additional for a brand new car. How do my maths look. ( also probably save on fuel with the hybrid plugged in overnight)

I looked at a Range Rover velar hybrid top of the range but it was cheaper for a Sport...so why would you not...

The only thing I noticed was that LR have introduced Pivi pro to the Discovery as well which looks like quite a leap forward re technology... are they planning to introduce this to the Sport?

Sorry for all the questions ....but just working out in my mind to stay with this car for another two years or go new now.

Post #606518 Wed Nov 11 2020 2:55pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

Do you own the present car and what is it worth? After 36 months it will probably be worth 50% of its present value. So you pay Ā£670 pm and have a chunk of cash at the end. Does your lease calculation assume you put your equity into the new car?
If so you pay Ā£880 pm plus road tax, at the end you hand the car back and have nothing although have the pleasure of driving a new car.
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #606520 Wed Nov 11 2020 3:11pm
Tedc01

United Kingdom 

Sorry- yes own my car worth approx Ā£35k
Lease cost has been worked out per month so no cash upfront required , so I get the Ā£35k as cash but outlay the 880 pm

Post #606521 Wed Nov 11 2020 3:51pm
Nano2nd

United Kingdom 

have a look on leaseloco

there is a brokers offering a P400e HSE Dynamic Black PCH 1+36 5k miles pa for Ā£735.73pm plus admin fee, when i ordered mine i spoke to my local JLR and they matched the deal at the time, but didn't charge me the "admin fee" - result! i also went for a 4 year deal as at the time the savings were much higher on 48 months versus 36.

and yes i also man-mathed the savings on the electric into my justification Very Happy  2020 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic

Post #606526 Wed Nov 11 2020 5:01pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Man maths is great isnā€™t it........

Being the kill joy.......after 3 years your depreciation will slow down, so I would say sticking would be the more economic choice.....but Iā€™m sure you could work out whatever you wanted......I work on the principle, you canā€™t take it with you! Whistle Whistle Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #606528 Wed Nov 11 2020 6:45pm
Tedc01

United Kingdom 

Nano2nd wrote:
have a look on leaseloco

there is a brokers offering a P400e HSE Dynamic Black PCH 1+36 5k miles pa for Ā£735.73pm plus admin fee, when i ordered mine i spoke to my local JLR and they matched the deal at the time, but didn't charge me the "admin fee" - result! i also went for a 4 year deal as at the time the savings were much higher on 48 months versus 36.

and yes i also man-mathed the savings on the electric into my justification Very Happy

Thanks will take a look later.. Thumbs Up

Post #606536 Wed Nov 11 2020 8:28pm
Tedc01

United Kingdom 

Dave-t wrote:

Being the kill joy.......after 3 years your depreciation will slow down, so I would say sticking would be the more economic choice.....but Iā€™m sure you could work out whatever you wanted......I work on the principle, you canā€™t take it with you! Whistle Whistle

I know...I know...I think itā€™s the fact of some decent deals turning up and the thought of potential problems with an older diesel car....allied with man maths it looks feasible... Very Happy

Post #606537 Wed Nov 11 2020 8:33pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Ted, Iā€™m in a similar dilemma, I reckon your depreciation will slow to around Ā£5k a year but the time you add in warranty & tax etc your still not far away from a new car with no risk.

My mileage is around 8k per year, Iā€™m considering an HSE dynamic black p400e on private hire over 36 months, total cost Ā£30k approx, either that or buy another AB at 3 years old & pcp through my bank in 6 months time when I VT mine.

Post #606539 Wed Nov 11 2020 9:15pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Making little assumptions everywhere in the same direction (usual man maths) makes a big difference to the outcome. The monthly depreciation over 3-4 years of your existing car will be less (can you get a 6yr old AB for Ā£15k). Tax will reduce at 5 years. The warranty/recovery need not be so expensive and you are using the price for a new dynamic rather than a new autobiography.

Iā€™m in the same boat. Iā€™m going to pay the GMFV in December and keep my AB. The GMFV is less than it would cost to buy another one of the same spec and age, just, but much more than the trade-in value. If I fancied a change, I would be handing it back. I bet theyā€™ll be taking a lot of hand backs and Blackhorseā€™s profits wonā€™t be as high as they had hoped. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #606550 Thu Nov 12 2020 9:03am
Tedc01

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies-

I think where Iā€™m at is if I keep it for two more years( I wouldnā€™t want it any longer than that- if nothing more than I would like to change by year 5) then without man maths Iā€™m likely to loose something approaching Ā£8-Ā£10k if I do a quick look on autotrader. Warranty and recovery is going to be about Ā£2k I would want a gold plated one, and road tax Ā£900 so give or take Ā£12k over two years.

If you go for pch where the road tax, warranty and assistance are included then for a dynamic (agree lower spec but with a couple of options) then Iā€™m looking at about Ā£22k over two years (ok over a three year lease but just trying to compare) so about Ā£10k difference. I would save a bit on fuel as well due to my current journeys....

So Ā£10k to drive a new car or wait two years.......

Post #606558 Thu Nov 12 2020 11:51am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Dave-t wrote:

Being the kill joy.......after 3 years your depreciation will slow down, so I would say sticking would be the more economic choice.....but Iā€™m sure you could work out whatever you wanted......I work on the principle, you canā€™t take it with you! Whistle Whistle

Man maths always works when you do it, and never works when she checks it! Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #606561 Thu Nov 12 2020 12:23pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Syl good to know itā€™s not just me! My AB is 3 years old now but is on a 4 year pcp, gfv at 4 years old with 25k miles which will probably be right due to lockdown etc is Ā£43k, only being offered Ā£38k now at 3 years old & 19k miles! Iā€™m going to keep for another 6 payments then vt it as that will save me Ā£5k as I would be handing back at 4 years old anyway, dread to think what trade in price will be then, probably Ā£32k if Iā€™m lucky.

Ps OP if I was in your position I would do what you are proposing & keep for another 2 years based on your figures & circumstances & save the Ā£10k.

Post #606566 Thu Nov 12 2020 2:21pm
mrsammyp

United Kingdom 

Everybody is in different financial circumstances and so we can only comment based on our own personal opinions. Used car values seem to be holding quite well at the moment, and so the depreciation might not actually be that bad.

Based on the current economic uncertainty, for me I'd be looking to keep the vehicle either loan free or by cheap refinancing (if the cash can be used better elsewhere), rather than jumping into a Ā£880pm lease contract, also based on the minimal mileage but then you might have millions in the bank and this isn't an issue. MY2017 RRS Capathian Grey

Post #606568 Thu Nov 12 2020 3:25pm
Tedc01

United Kingdom 

I knew I shouldnā€™t have asked....šŸ˜³...

I think buying new/nearly new or PCH/PCP is clear youā€™re knocking on either Ā£800-Ā£1k per month either in depreciation or lease costs.
Big numbers for anyone.

So reducing this by half ā€œprobablyā€ does seem the sensible option when you have a nice AB thatā€™s only 3 years old..letā€™s hope thereā€™s no big bills to come...

Thanks again everyone

Post #606573 Thu Nov 12 2020 9:09pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Go sign up with warranty direct, seem to be best option overall Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #606576 Fri Nov 13 2020 7:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1