RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS , TURBO REPLACEMENT COSTS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

eddyeggs

United Kingdom 
RRS , TURBO REPLACEMENT COSTS

HI so looking to take the plunge to buy a used RRS 3.6 around 2010 to 2011 , this is my budget area , so i have done a fair bit of research and i just want to ask a large audience a question around the dreaded turbo issues that seem to dominate the RRS brand , yep the dreaded world of turbo failure , and the idea of having a bill of £2500 to replace the twin turbos with reconditioned turbos ,

so the question is does anyone have any idea what are the volumes of failed rrs turbos are they always going to go bang ,and also can they be done cheaper than £2500 ,

Post #606239 Wed Nov 04 2020 11:22am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you end up needing new turbos, reconditioned ones are likely to be a false economy. Budget for new units and then add a grand for the fitting.

The simple truth is that these vehicles don't do well being run on a tight budget. If you can't afford a big bill out of the blue, then best advice is to not buy one in the first place. Likewise with servicing. Sure, you can chuck in cheap oil and use cheap filters but you just increase the risk of something more expensive going pop.

Bodge one of these vehicles and it will bite you back in the wallet. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #606241 Wed Nov 04 2020 11:40am
eddyeggs

United Kingdom 

hi, so the price was given to me yesterday and he mentioned reconditioned turbos, i myself would not have reconditioned turbos fitted, ,

so do you think the turbo issue is mainly around the up keep of the car, i myself would always use recommended oils and genuine parts on such a large engine , the feedback i am getting is that the turbo's will go regardless of the service they receive,

the problem i have i have always wanted a range rover from the days of the mk1 so its something i have to get out of my blood stream , but i dont want to lose sleep over issues and reliability .

Post #606242 Wed Nov 04 2020 11:53am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The TDV8 does benefit from correct oil changes and from being allowed to spool down for a minute or so after being run. This helps to prevent the oil from burning/congealing in the feed/drain pipes and around the seal.

My old TDV8 , bought by me second hand, needed new turbos at about 70k miles. It then had 175k miles on it when I sold it and was still on those new turbos. My guess is that the first owners hadn't bothered to look after it in its early days - the turbos then suffered. In my ownership, once I'd had the turbos replaced, they kept going for >100k miles. I just had the servicing done on schedule, let the engine warm up and let it spool down. It probably helped that it was doing a good lot of miles each year - 3 years of 50 miles each way commuting on dual carriageways meant it wasn't doing lots of stop/start and short journeys which, I'm sure, isn't any good for any turbo really.

The turbos aren't any bigger an issue than such things as anti-roll bars, gearboxes, suspension bushes, all of which need fettling at some point on second hand RRS. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #606244 Wed Nov 04 2020 12:11pm
eddyeggs

United Kingdom 

wow, that is really good news , 100k , i myself would ensure i followed any steps to ensure the turbo's were kept to a good standard,

this is a good news story among so many horrible stories and youtube vids ,

i just hope this is not a sole good news story, as i really do want to purchase a rrs , i have looked at all the other 4x4's and they dont have the feel of the range rover thbe space, i have owned 2 Nissan terrano's and nissan xtrail they were/are bullet proof but i was always in the shadow of the rrs ,

i am just hoping that the cost of replacing the turbos is going to come down in price , it would be really good to understand the volumes of the problem,

Post #606245 Wed Nov 04 2020 12:42pm
RobP

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

My turbos lasted until 110K this year. I got my TDV8 10 years ago with 30K miles and oil changes have always been done in lne with recommended timescales

The last 5 years have seen an average of only about 5k miles a year so may be something in lack of use / short journeys being a factor though

My bill for the two turbos replaced with new ones and all associated labour and 2 year warranty was about £4K

Yes I may have been able to save about £500 by shopping around further in the south east and being happy to wait 5-6 weeks for a garage to book me in but needed the motor for family holiday so had to go with the only place that could turn it around in my two week window that I had from blowing turbo to holiday departure

Very happy to say AJ Landrover Bow down did a great job and hope I will get another 100k out of these Thumbs Up TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Post #606257 Wed Nov 04 2020 10:12pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

2 new turbos plus fitting on my sdv6 £3700 or so at an indy. Recon ones are risky.... 10 hours labour or so, body off job.

Post #606582 Fri Nov 13 2020 10:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1