Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Boot lid opened on it's own
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Boot lid opened on it's own

Hi folks

This morning I got up to find my boot lid sitting full open, both keys were unusually at the other end of the house and out of kids way so I can only assume it opened by itself. I do remember reading on here of a similar fault in the past but all I can find in searches is for the previous 2 piece door so can anyone advise whether this is a known fault for the facelift door and what to check?

As it's only happened once then I'm hoping it's a spurious opening, but being an RRS it's probably wise to get clued up the potential fixes Laughing . 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #606081 Fri Oct 30 2020 11:16am
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

This has happened to me recently on a couple of occasions after heavy rain. Makes you question if you actually closed it in the first place but on both occasions I definitely have! 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #606118 Sat Oct 31 2020 9:11am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Did it not set the Alarm off? Dare I say that is a little alarming. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #606119 Sat Oct 31 2020 9:52am
insiorc

It was definately closed as it hadn't been driven in over a week and I'd been pottering about outside near it till early evening so would have seen if it was open, and I've no idea if it should have set the alarm off as it wasn't locked (and not likely someone passing would open it due to where I live). I can't put it down to rain either as it was a rare dry calm night, must've been the calm before the storm as tonight or 99% of other nights and I'd likely have a boot soaked in water and hinges well tested fighting against the wind.

Once the weather improves and probably now in a few weeks as I'm about to start my work rota then I could pull out the switch to see it any moisture could have shorted the connections, it's about all I can think of other than an ecu gremlin. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #606127 Sat Oct 31 2020 3:13pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Yeah the Alarm wouldn’t go off if it wasn’t locked. What year is it? My car locks itself if the keys not in the vicinity. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #606130 Sat Oct 31 2020 3:50pm
insiorc

It's a late 2012, I've never known it to lock itself but I suppose it's possible it can 'see' the remote wherever it is in my house depending how far apart they can talk. I believe the remote can transmit quite far when pressing a button, but I'd expect the keyless side of things to be a much shorter range, probably very close the RRS or otherwise it wouldn't be very secure. It will re-lock if unlocked by the remote but doors not opened within a given time. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #606152 Sun Nov 01 2020 11:00pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Funnily enough I checked my fob/remote a while back out of curiosity, I think it was when I was playing about with disabling the keyless entry, in the end couldn't be bothered doing it and having to dig the fob out of my pocket all the time to lock/unlock the car. It had to be within about a meter if using the door handle button to lock/unlock, but using the Fob buttons it would lock/unlock from 25/30 meters away. If you unlock but don't open a door after 60 seconds it relocks itself.

Cheers
Col

Post #606153 Sun Nov 01 2020 11:13pm
insiorc

Col, 1 metre, that makes sense from a security point of view.

This morning my FBH wasn't running even though I went out to the RRS a bit earlier, so I checked my BM2 battery monitoring app to see if it was due to low voltage even though I charged it yesterday, I saw the FBH had run an hour earlier than planned but that was an easy fix - I'd never driven since the clocks went back so I just set the correct time.
But while in the app I noticed some spurious happenings in the days leading to the boot self opening. Normally when parked the green line is steady just dropping slightly over the days, but on the 28th about 9am the readings get a bit funny. This continues over the 29th then into the 30th when about 8am there is a considerable dip which I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the boot opening. I only noticed it open about 10am when I closed it, the battery readings then level off again into the 31st.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Tonight on my way home from work I connected the battery app again to see how it was going when I noticed battery low warnings and no alternator charging as the voltage was down to about 12.2V. It's looking like there could be an issue so I disconnected the battery and shorted the tails, on reconnection I got a larger pop than I expected but everything appears to be working, I just set the clock. So I'll see how it goes tomorrow morning whether I can get to work or not, but hopefully it'll have reset and run happily......

Edit: corrected BM2 monitor, I'd wrote AM2 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Last edited by insiorc on Mon Nov 02 2020 10:52pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #606183 Mon Nov 02 2020 10:38pm
Col

Strange coincident, fitted a BM2 monitor yesterday out of curiosity to see what they did. Laughing

Cheers
Col

Post #606184 Mon Nov 02 2020 10:49pm
insiorc

It's a handy tool, this example shows it can give information that would be very difficult to obtain without it or similar. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #606185 Mon Nov 02 2020 10:55pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

They are cool little devices. I forgot to disconnect mine when I sold my L320 Big Cry I'll have to order another one... Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #606186 Mon Nov 02 2020 11:19pm
insiorc

Well good news, I think. I left the Ctek on all night then everything appeared to be charging fine today both going to then home from work. I didn't enjoy how chilly it was as I didn't brave running the timed FBH but all was good with lights on, seat and steering wheel heaters on so it coped with a decent electrical load. What I'm not sure if normal is the BM2 was showing a running voltage of around 14.92V which I thought a bit high, but is this normal for the RRS with AGM battery not long off charge, I thought about 14.7 was normal? 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #606221 Tue Nov 03 2020 10:27pm
Col

As only recently fitted the one on mine haven't really had much time to play with it, but look like with everything switch on air con, headlights, seats etc. obviously no FBH being petrol, shows charging at 14.65v at 2500rpm, with everything switched off shows 14.8v it does also have AGM battery. They were the highest figures it went up to don't know if any of that info is any use at all.

Cheers
Col

Post #606224 Tue Nov 03 2020 10:57pm
insiorc

Yes that's helpful, thanks. It's probably to be expected then as a battery not so freshly off charge may hold the volts down a point or two of a volt. I'll keep an eye on it over the coming days.

One thing I thought ironic was just today the Android BM2 app got an update, and the bug fix was for charging reporting issues. I'd have been wondering if that was all the problem was other than I had confirmed yesterday's voltages with my Fluke meter. I was impressed how accurate/similar the readings were. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #606225 Tue Nov 03 2020 11:12pm
LG8340

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

That's interesting because overnight 31st Oct / 1st Nov my boot-lid self opened. RRS (MY13) Santorini Black SDV6 HSE luxuary
Gone: Evoque, Freelander 2, Mercedes 320 CLK, Porsche 911's

Post #606250 Wed Nov 04 2020 5:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>