Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

airc909

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Siberian Silver
Approved used?

Hello

Happy new year

I’m in the market for a RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE or AB

Perhaps a slightly later one as I think they have a little more power from what I can gather

Anyway , seeing as it’s going to be a big chunk of money (even if I buy a high miler still looking at over £20k) I’m wondering what people’s experience is on here with Land Rover approved used stock?

I know I’ll probably pay more than private but I’m banking on something going wrong with the car within first year or two and so having the warranty would help

I don’t tend to buy from from dealers but seeing as it’s going to be a fair chunk of cash I’d like some kind of warranty I think

I must admit the dealer prices don’t seem that much more than private at the moment

Thanks all

Chris

Post #608446 Mon Jan 11 2021 12:55am
PEACHY

England 

Chris - Happy New Year.
Most approved used dealerships don’t sell vehicles over 5/6 years old, therefore budget is king.My last 4 RRS purchases have all been approved used & I have had unpleasant experiences with them all. Three off them have had over 2k worth of warranty work done each due to oil leaks & wiring loom issues. This is why I wouldn’t buy without a warranty & I do like to scrap with the dealers when it comes to issues Whistle if you do buy private see if the owner has continued the Landrover Warranty BUT be aware this alone can run into a 4 figure sum every 12 months Big Cry
Good luck with your search Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #608449 Mon Jan 11 2021 1:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,

Istr the main stealers reduced the approved warranty (an insurance warranty and not L/R themselves) to only 1 year Question

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #608472 Mon Jan 11 2021 6:09pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Yup, got mine last Jan and was only a year. Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #608483 Mon Jan 11 2021 10:48pm
pjbracer1

England 

I guess the qeustion is what does the dealer do to warrant the extra cost over a private trader, if both are offering a full yr how ever many years you can negotiate in the cost.

The Approved cars will normally have a full LRSH (but that doesnt mean that much as LR service department are not always known for fixing issues, as nowadays replacing parts seems to be the process until the problem goes away (that said that is the same for most dealers its not just LR)

Warranty that is offered by a main dealer under the approved sections might have tie ins so that in order to uphold the warranty all works may need to be carried out by the issuing dealer, so for services it might be fine but terms should be checked as you could void that warranty if you have you local indy fit some new brake pads or if anything after market is fitted not by them such as a battery, anythign for the warranty claim to be rejected under not matter how petty!

The warranty offered may be badged LR but its not LR who are covering any repairs its and insurance policy same as most of the others the initial 3 yrs warranty from new is backed by the LR as a manufacturer after that I dont think it is.

So if any trader or dealer is offer warranty thrown in the question is what is covered and the terms, you might find its easier to just buy your own warranty unless the trader or dealer is offerign a really good price so its worth getting soem quotes and going armed with how much a good warranty should cost you.

The main dealers should be more negotiable (but probably wont be) as the cars they are selling will be part ex or lease returns from their customers who have upgraded to the latest models so bear in mind they will prbably make on the trade in price and then bump the price up for sale under the "apporved banner" where they will have inspected the car, how goo the inspection is is also another thing and would you pay to have this done at the price they consider it to be worth (think how much a full RAC or AA inspection costs).

The approved car route is fine if the price is right for your wallet (and they are normally newer models that are are worthy of being on their forecourts (anything that is slightly older or has a few curb scuffs is normally moved onto the other dealers).

The main thing I think the approved route perceives to offer is peice of mind that the manufacturer has inspected the car an deems it worthy of their approved program. Its still debateable on if there is any value in that (not just LR here lots of others are the same, Ive had mates by approved BMW's and Audis only to find they are lemons that the dealer still charges you to fix as you have had some use out of it!)

Is there any extra value in the extra price they charge when compared to private sales or traders, (private sales could be more or a risk if the seller is moving on a car they know has a fault (I think even this can be dealt with by law now although mght be hard to prove) but the price in the private market is pretty fair as they hold their values well and will that extra cost be recoverable when you sell?

So
Approved = more expensive to purchase, what is the value of this addtional price? unless it includes a free first service and full warranty then could be a deal compared to others.

Trader/dealer = more negotiable on price as they have no manufacturer backing so keen to keep stock moving, keen to maintain a good reputation, a fair bit of there stock is customer trade in's and main dealer tradein stock the dealer donest want or ex lease cars, but still have the image of Arthur Daley trying to rip off your hard earned cash with sub par cars and flashy sales guys. Often not the case.

Private Traders = Possible good deals but more than likely and auction stock buy so may not have a full history and the previous owner is unlikely to been known albeit their name on paper but this doesnt mean they are not honest some are just starting out too so can be eager to please, any warranty offered will be the same as you can buy direct.
Private = No warranty or mechanic back up, making the purchase can be tricky with the whole transfer of money/trust issue unless handing out bag of cash! They have no reputation to uphold so might not be honest, but most will be, and as long as the car has a good history and receipts and a full MOT or give or take a few months then there are bargains to be had and the savings could pay for a top end full covered warranty.

Buying a car can be tricky but it still comes back to how much you are prepared to spend and you won budgets for running and problems, all cars have problems and sometimes the older models will have had most of them rectified, mileage is always important as LR's often have higher mileage as they get used alot. Self insuring for some things is always worth it.

Ive looked at approved used nearly everytime I buy a car to use as a bench mark of what a good one should look like but Ive also been dissapointed in some of them as they havent always looked any better than the traders offers and are always a few grand more and I struggle to understand where this extra adds value.

I'd buy a used approred car if the price and deal was right for the spec car I wanted but if a trader had a better spec car for the same price and the package was pretty much the same I'd go trader route (it's worth doign some research on reviews of where ever you are looking to buy).

The brand of LR is good but the main dealers are not often known for the best customer service, some even think its a privaledge for you to be allowed in. Not all but some are like this. I test drove a Velar with a view to buying but got a call from my local to bring the car back as another customer wanted a test drive and the manager down there pulled rank! So I had to bring it back after about 5 mins! Ive also asked for service pricing from them and never get anything back!

It's horses for courses I think and the price for the package is the best way to look at a purchase, but we all want to feel comfortable and we dont want any more stress in our lives than is required so if it brings you priece of mind purchasing an approved used model then id go for it, there is no point in having sleepless nights over it if you paid a little extra than perhaps you could of. If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #608541 Wed Jan 13 2021 12:03pm
Peterh

United Kingdom 

Check out BCA auctions,look for a grade 1 with history etc and then purchase the warranty you want.

Post #608546 Wed Jan 13 2021 2:37pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

That has just become harder with the demise of warranty direct selling to the public Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #608559 Wed Jan 13 2021 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1