RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > TDV8 2009 RRS Turbo Replacement Without Body Off Anyone ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Iremus

Romania 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Alaska White
TDV8 2009 RRS Turbo Replacement Without Body Off Anyone ?

Hey Guys,
I have a 2009 RRS tdv8 and for 2 months now i have an issue, on full throttle it stails for a few miliseconds then powers its back then again stalls.
I changed all the hoses (beside the 2 small ones next to the turbos) but nothing changed. What I did notice while changing the hoses is that on one side they were full of oil, which means that turbo is somehow damaged.
Now my questions is, did anyone manage to remove the right side turbo without removing the body ?
I would highly appreciate a guide on how to do this if its possible, removing the body its a hard job for most of the services in my town, we dont have a Range Rover Shop.
Thanks in advance and best regards to everyone here.

Post #606014 Wed Oct 28 2020 7:00am
peterjj

Australia 

Don't know about power issue but I think somewhere on this site someone has described turbo removal without body off. Or maybe that was a tdv6.

My experience with oil in hoses...
Some oil in the right hand turbo hoses is normal because the crankcase ventilation connects to the intake on that side.
Check the bottom of the intercooler to make sure there is not a large pool of oil there. It can build up over time then one day the engine will breath in a big gulp of oil and self destruct. (been there).
Too much oil in the turbo hose can be caused by worn turbo, defective crankcase ventilator and overfilling the engine oil (and probably others).
Make sure you check engine oil only when cold. Don't top up immediately when\if it starts to drop below the top mark on the dipstick. Just regularly check and make sure it doesn't go below half way the marks on the dipstick. It may settle at a point between halfway and full. Assuming you have no leaks, any oil above the point it settles at is just being burnt either past the piston rings or through the crankcase ventilator and into the intake. (been there - filled when warm, exhaust smoked, hoses got oily. exhaust smoke disappeared and hoses better when dipstick level just below full when cold, and the level never moved after that). Pete
2008 L320 TDV8
2022 Hilux Rugged-X

Post #606025 Wed Oct 28 2020 11:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1