Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > All Terrain Tyres - Boat launching
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

swatkins

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver
All Terrain Tyres - Boat launching

Hi All

Thinking of fitting all terrain tyres on my 2005 L320 supercharged. This would be for all year use on and off road. The off road bit is boat launching on part slipway part beach sand and gravel. Reading through the forum its seems General Grabber AT3 are the favourite, I have 20 inch wheels what tyre size would you recommend and does anyone have any feedback on what these will be like for normal road / motorway use in terms of noise and handling.

Many thanks in advance

Stewart

Post #605482 Mon Oct 12 2020 10:51am
Drewlr4

United Kingdom 

Recently fitted a set on my 494 255 55 20. First trip on them was a 3 hour drive from Devon to Southampton to collect a large tintent for my brother and a good all round tire, fast on the way there with no noticeable difference in handling or noise and great with a weight behind on the way back. Since then we regularly tow a horse trailer into a wet fields and they were great off road as well. Living on the edge of the moors down muddy and sometimes snowy lanes they are a must me and my third set on various 4x4's and never let me down in any conditions. Great value as well, as a set shouldn't cost you more than about £550 fitted.

Post #605484 Mon Oct 12 2020 11:46am
PC76

United Kingdom 

I have been using them on my 3.0 L320 for the past 70k miles. they are good in most confditions both on and off road. although they can suffer from wall damage.

handling wise i have had one near miss on the road in wet conditions where the front lost tracktion as i was going into a left hand bend... just remember therse are not sports tyres not are these sports cars and you will be fine.

in the dry they will take a spirited drive in their stride in my 3.0.

Post #605487 Mon Oct 12 2020 12:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you're going for the Grabber AT3, bear in mind that the different speed ratings for the same size give different performance. The 275/40/20 gives EU label E/E for the H speed rating, E/C for the V speed rating. Likewise in 275/45/20 for H and V speed ratings. So going for the V speed rating gives better wet weather grip (according to the EU label testing).

As for the Grabber AT3, I ran a set in 255/55/19 size and found them to be very good. They got a tiny bit slippy when pushing on in wet conditions once half worn but it wasn't a problem. Decent off road, decent on road, none of the noise the Grabber AT made as it wore down. Decent in snowy conditions other than than ice, but then it's a winter rated AT not a full winter road tyre.

I'd run them again (currently using Pirelli Scorpion AT+). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #605495 Mon Oct 12 2020 2:24pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Another vote here for AT3s. Some 30k+ miles and still only about 1/2 worn. Been great in all conditions.

You'll want 255/45/20s

Post #605498 Mon Oct 12 2020 3:37pm
swatkins

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

Thanks for all the replies Smile

Post #605551 Wed Oct 14 2020 5:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1