RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Front electric windows and sunroof leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mavman

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Front electric windows and sunroof leak

This post doesn't need an answer. I'm paying it forward (in thanks to others who have helped me on RRS forum).

Problem:
RRS SC 2006, soaking wet carpet passenger side. Followed by intermittent and then dead driver and passenger windows.

Resolution:
The wet carpets - having read the forums at first I assumed it was a leak due to a deteriorated drain hose coming from the A pillar and leaking down the inside onto the passenger side floor. I rodded the tubes using strimmer wire but there were no blockages. I then removed the side grill and noticed the drain hose had detached from the air intake on the passenger side (though this may not have been the only cause of the wet carpets - see below). This is apparently a common fault and is due to the deteriorated rubber hose end disintegrating. I blocked up the passenger side sunroof drain hole exit with blue tack (temporarily) and purchased a new drain hose on eBay with the intention of replacing said hose.... until I discovered that that would entail removal of the central junction box (CJB) in order to fit the hose. I then didn’t do anything about it for a while.

Meantime I tried to address the windows fault (the passenger side and drivers side had become intermittent and then finally stopped altogether). I assumed this was a result of the detached hose flooding the passenger side wiring loom and corroding the connection.

Having finally got around to sorting it (thank you COVID lockdown), I discovered that while I had assumed the water was leaking into the footwell through the deteriorated passenger side drain hole, even with the hole blocked by blue tack it was also overflowing the sunroof channel surround and leaking down the roof / head liner into the foot well. I know the sunroof overflow channels are only meant to deal with a certain quantity of rain, however in even with a small amount of ‘rain’ (aka garden hose sprayed on the roof in a rain like quantities), there was still water leaking onto the headliner through 2 rivets (just beside the spring loaded pop up wind deflector on the passenger side above the passenger’s head). This as then flowing down the inside of the windscreen pillar into the passenger footwell. I expoxyied the offending holes and then tested with a hose again. Success. No leaks.

Meanwhile (and having pulled down the headliner enough to see the drain hoses were properly attached at the sunroof end) I fixed the detached drain tube exit issue by coating a smaller diameter plastic tube (the diameter of eg a straw bought from B&Q) in epoxy and pushing it up into the detached A pillar drain hose (using the previously placed stimmer line as a guide and to provide ‘pushing purchase’). This new tube then protruded beyond the exit hole (behind the air intake grill passenger side) allowing water to drain outside of the car rather than inside of it. With the drain / leak now rectified, I sprayed the roof using a garden hose again to check the water was properly draining from the sunroof, down the tubes, and out of the grill. It was. Success.

Finally I still had to fix the windows. With the passenger side wiring loom exposed I hunted for the much quoted 3 wire junction of black / slate grey wires approximately half way along the loom. I couldn’t find them. I hunted through wiring diagrams online to check I had the correct wire colours. It was unclear. Meantime I’d found various 3 junction wires of different colours and repaired those anyway (cutting, crimping, and securely taping). Still no change with the windows though. I kept looking – still nothing. I then released more and more of the loom (which is wrapped in both tape and plastic ties) both towards the front and the rear which allowed me to spread the wiring out and hunt through the myriad of colours. Finally I found the 3 black and slate grey wires right up at the front of the loom (near where the passenger’s toes would be). There was only about 5 inches of slack so it was difficult to get to. They were held together by a robust plastic connector – I cut, crimped and taped these, and bingo – the windows worked…

I hope this account helps someone. Good luck. Never give up Wink

Post #604803 Wed Sep 23 2020 10:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1