Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > Battery charge connector point
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Battery charge connector point

Hi folks

Following on from this thread with a suggestion for an easy charge connector https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic55671.html

Back in March I received the connector and was set to install it thinking I could parallel wire into the rear of the tow socket (pic below), but unfortunately this is not possible due to LR having done something well - it's potted to weather proof it. I then forgot about it until now.

So I'd decided the preferred mount location is at the back of the RRS as I back up to a wall so it would mean I could mount the ctek charger on the wall then just have a short lead to the RRS, which also would allow for safe auto disconnection if I drove off with it still connected. If I place the charger right then I could share the charger with my wife's Evoque which I'd also fit a connection point to, and this would be more inportant for auto disconnect - I expect it'd be used every time!
Does anyone know of a relatively easy to access permanent live point in the rear which preferably doesn't involve splicing? The easiest option would be to identify the live at the tow socket but I really do not want to break into well weatherproofed wiring. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #604546 Mon Sep 14 2020 1:13pm
teldec

United Kingdom 

If you have a tow bar then you can buy a ctek to 13 pin adapter, thats what i have purchased from here, https://www.disco3.co.uk/shop/charge-adapter-p45.html

Post #604548 Mon Sep 14 2020 2:14pm
insiorc

Thanks teldec

I should maybe have said, but the reason I'm not using one of those is I like the idea of a quick and easy connection, and if I were to use a tow plug then if forgetting then driving off it may well pull the socket cover off/break something if forgetting to disconnect first. Also I'd have to keep removing/refitting the tow cover.
At the moment when charging I run an orange extension cable past the drivers door as a reminder, with charger under the bonnet. For the first time in 20+ years I'll be needing a vehicle to go to work and with winter coming and 5:30am start I'm using the timed heater so I'm just trying to sort a quick and easy way to keep the battery topped up as the drive with lights on isn't long enough to cope with the demand. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #604550 Mon Sep 14 2020 2:49pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I think the thick wire green wire with brown stripe is power.
Well it is in early models. It’s also reverse lights so you need to check.

Yes it will need splice

Post #604551 Mon Sep 14 2020 3:01pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
I would go the same way as teldec says, (in fact I have Laughing ) but just make your own plug and include a 2 or 3 pin waterproof electrical connector in line, then if you do forget it just pulls that apart
wont get away from the tow cover but how often do you need to connect it up Question
If we were not going to use the car for a few weeks I would pop it on charge but otherwise it never needed it and used to use the timed climate a bit Whistle

Martin's plugs are good and helps the forum as well

Thumbs Up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/223563573681?chn=...a9a7a5b97e Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #604556 Mon Sep 14 2020 8:50pm
teldec

United Kingdom 

You can modify the ctek connector so that if you did forget to unplug it then it would just pull straight out, also you have the ctek warning card that you put on your dash to help prevent it also

Post #604557 Mon Sep 14 2020 9:16pm
insiorc

Thanks Andy K, I guess splicing into a loom was inevitable, I was just hoping there may be another way. I'll check the wire colour on the rear pins which should confirm things. I suppose a decent splice on the tow socket loom in a sheltered from water place shouldn't be so bad, at least it'd not be on a non replaceable loom.

Riverblanche, I'd expect to have to charge several times over my 14 day work rota during winter, all dark driving short distances and cold temperatures so the battery isn't at it's best. It's not so much that the cover is a hassle to remove/refit, but where I live there is always wind and driving rain so it's something I'd rather avoid spending an extra 30 seconds out in. I'd far rather snap on and off a connector and get out of the driving rain asap. Also my wife's Evoque doesn't have a tow socket so this option sorts her out aswell (I'll just use her unused tow socket loom connector for the permanent live). Even during summer I have both cars on charge at least once a week (lead acid batteries are better kept fully charged, which an alternator cannot do properly). 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #604558 Mon Sep 14 2020 9:19pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

You could splice into the trailer socket wiring harness behind the N/S rear light, save dropping the bumper or removing n/s boot trim panel. Seem to remember the battery feed from Fuse 48 to the trailer socket maybe Blue/Pink.

Cheers
Col

Post #604559 Mon Sep 14 2020 10:02pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
I know what you mean Thumbs Up

ours never really did short journeys and it was normally the one in the garage so no "weather" to contend with Smile

I fitted the in-line connectors mainly as I have a number of different connectors to suit a few uses (all charging)
7 pin tow socket, crocodile clips, permanent fix on motorbike and caravan which has a big square plug!

Magnetic should be a lot quicker and easier once your sorted

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #604600 Wed Sep 16 2020 7:20pm
Col

May or may not be of interest but noticed this the other day, easy enough to make up yourself I guess though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aston-Martin-DB...SwgotcWuOZ

Cheers
Col

Post #604605 Wed Sep 16 2020 9:23pm
insiorc

That ready made connector would do the job, although it's a pity they've used the traffic light connector as other than it being useless anyway, I can't think why as when charging it'd always be showing green. I guess someone might think it handy as a quick connect battery check, but it'd just show red when the battery was fine.
I've already got the magnetic connectors and a ctek plain connector I was planning cutting the end crimps off to make the same as in that link, but thanks anyway (I'd be fusing it on the RRS side, although with using the tow wire it's already fused).

Connecting in behind the light probably would be convenient but for some time I've been meaning to change my 12N&S for a 13 pin, so now would be a good time and I'd splice into it on the socket side of the connector which I assume to be tucked up safely somewhere behind the bumper which although I'd be taking care to waterproof it it'd be good being out of water spray.

I think this is the correct 13 pin socket since I already have tow electrics fitted, can anyone confirm? https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR011211 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #604630 Thu Sep 17 2020 10:59pm
Col

The full L/R kit for a MY13 is VPLST0071 as I fitted one to mine as managed to get brand new one of fleabay for £65.00. That harness certainly look very similar to the one in the kit with the 3 connectors though. If it helps at all I actually kept the original blanking plugs used from the harness already behind bumper when I fitted mine, plugs look the same. Also the engineering number 4H22-14A341-CA shown on the tag in the picture is exactly same number as tag on mine.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Col

Post #604631 Thu Sep 17 2020 11:29pm
insiorc

Thanks Col, that's it ordered so hopefully I'll finally get this done next week when the socket arrives. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #604636 Fri Sep 18 2020 8:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1