RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > thinking of changing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

beerbelly

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey
thinking of changing

hi folks had my 2.7 for coming up 4 years now and apart from the first six months it has and still is a pleasure to own and drive .but i now have a large caravan to tow and i am finding i am pushing the little 2.7 quite hard on steep inclines and i don't like revving it too hard although it fly's up once its got its act together .i have started thinking of up grading to a 3.6 tdv8 now will the 3.6 give me the extra torque i am looking for when towing or will the difference be negligible .also in the back of my mind is the prospect of turbo issues .i would also like to jump up to a facelift model but there doesn't seem to be that many of them at my price point .any 3.6 tdv8 owners tow caravans care to offer an opinion. cheers folks

Post #604292 Tue Sep 08 2020 6:41am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The TDV8 is night and day better than the 2.7. The extra power will feel like a sports car in comparison and makes towing a doddle. The motor pulls so well from low down.

I used to pull a horse trailer with mine - so heavier than most caravans - and it did it beautifully.

Just remember to give the turbos a minute at idle before turning off the engine. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #604296 Tue Sep 08 2020 7:35am
Boxers

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

We have just returned from Cornwall with our caravan which is a 26foot twin axle Elldis crusader storm the 3.6 TDV8 tows it with ease in all honesty you barely know it is there. Regarding turbo issues my independent swears by regular oil changes to lengthen the life of them if looked after correctly should last at least 100,000 miles. Towing the caravan I averaged 22mpg.

Post #604299 Tue Sep 08 2020 9:34am
samd

England 

I have just changed my van but for the three years prior to last week, I towed a Vanmaster TA weighing in at 2300 kg with my 3.0 V6 with no issues whatsoever. Pulls off on tickover

Post #604300 Tue Sep 08 2020 10:04am
beerbelly

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the input folks i am leaning more towards the 3.6 the more I think about it .as for the 3.0 finding a nice one of them would be easier but its the tales of snapped cranks that is putting me off looking at them .

Post #604301 Tue Sep 08 2020 10:10am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Having had a 2.7, albeit in a D3 (which is a bit heavier) I found the extra 55 bhp of the 3.0ltr makes a huge difference. That being said, I can't comment on any torque improvement which is what you want. I do take your point about the crank issue though.

Post #604314 Tue Sep 08 2020 12:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1