RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 2006 Sport - fluctuation power problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

andrew kennedy

France 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Maya Gold
2006 Sport - fluctuation power problem

2009 Sport. 150,560 k (94.000 miles) I’m getting a ‘fluctuation of power’ between 3,000 & 3,500 revs in all gears - best described as like an intermittent fuel or air starvation. Before and after those revs, with the accelerator down, the power is smooth in all gears through to changing up automatically. Have fitted a new AIR FILTER and MAF Sensor (sprayed to clean). Each trip out I power the car through its gears with the hope of keeping the system clean. I use premium diesel. Put a cleaning additive in every 5000 or so miles. So…..what else can I check out to clear the problem!?!? Advice grateful received – need to try DIY solutions as local French Land Rover garage inundated with work – anyway far more satisfying!!!!! Andrew Kennedy

Post #603678 Mon Aug 24 2020 8:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

When you say fluctuation in power,, is it the revs fluctuating between 3000 - 3500 with no increase in speed etc? 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #603711 Mon Aug 24 2020 4:44pm
andrew kennedy

Thanks for the reply!! There is a decrease in power. Like a surge, but in reverse. The car noticeable pulls back and surges back and forth if the revs are help at 3,000/3500 revs Andrew Kennedy

Post #603713 Mon Aug 24 2020 4:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gogsy1956

I would have a look through posts regarding torque converter issues and see if it's similar to your problems 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!

Post #603716 Mon Aug 24 2020 5:58pm
andrew kennedy

Thanks for the info! Is the torque converter something I could get at and maybe free up? It might be relevant that I had a new gearbox fitted 5,000 miles back. Also had a couple of Limp Mode experience over the last 2,000 mile?!?! Andrew Kennedy

Post #603718 Mon Aug 24 2020 6:14pm
gogsy1956

It's not a user serviceable item I'm afraid,, replacement is the only option if it's faulty,, it sits between the engine and Gearbox and basically does the job of a clutch if you had a manual transmission. When you had the new Gearbox fitted they probably refitted the original torque converter as they're not particularly cheap. Some go for a gearbox flush to help prolong the life of these units but the oil in yours would have been replaced when the box was changed.
Limp mode might be associated with a number of things,, were there any lights on the dash at the same time 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
black perforated leather
22" overfinch

Post #603722 Mon Aug 24 2020 7:07pm
andrew kennedy

Thanks for yours! You seem to have covered all bases and I could well imagine it’s the torque converter causing the ‘surge ‘problem. If that is the cause of the problem, would it show up on a diagnostic plug in? I appreciate its a costly unit – I also presume it would also be costly job to replace due to its positioning? The surge of power at 3000 revs is something I can live with as my driving doesn’t usually take me up to and through 3000 revs – or would you suggest it needs changing as it could get worse?? Regarding the couple of Limp Mode experiences, the only message I had was an ENGINE FAULT readout on the dash. Grateful for your advice!!! Andrew Kennedy

Post #603749 Tue Aug 25 2020 9:12am
andrew kennedy

Gogsy.....Re the possible torque converter problem on my car. I have done my research and I can see how I can possible check to see if it is faulty - perhaps I'll leave it to be checked out when I next have a service, but welcome any other advice - didn't want you to compose unnecessary copy on my behalf. Your thoughts on the LIMP MODE and ENGINE FAULT message would be appropriated??!! Andrew Kennedy

Post #603757 Tue Aug 25 2020 2:07pm
gogsy1956

Best option with the limp mode and engine fault light is to get the codes read,, this will pinpoint the cause of the problem as there are quite a few to choose from!, also no substitute for visiting a reliable garage before shelling out on expensive parts you may not need,,,,, although everything landrover is expensive. This forum is all about helping others so remember to post any updates or findings you get,,, it always helps someone else to solve a problem Thumbs Up 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
black perforated leather
22" overfinch

Post #603764 Tue Aug 25 2020 7:21pm
andrew kennedy

Hi gogsy. Thanks for your. Points taken. We have a very good Land Rover guy over here in Brittany - anyone within a 100 miles would be graze if they didn't go to him. Getting any appointment is difficulty, but I can wait, nothing is urgent. I'll post up any relevant info on the forum. Regards Andrew Andrew Kennedy

Post #603789 Wed Aug 26 2020 12:56pm
mgrover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

take a look at your adaptive fuel trims to rule out any combustion issues

edit: andd i just realised this is a month old thread haha

Post #604908 Fri Sep 25 2020 7:24pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

andrew kennedy wrote:
Gogsy.....Re the possible torque converter problem on my car. I have done my research and I can see how I can possible check to see if it is faulty - perhaps I'll leave it to be checked out when I next have a service, but welcome any other advice - didn't want you to compose unnecessary copy on my behalf. Your thoughts on the LIMP MODE and ENGINE FAULT message would be appropriated??!!

Andrew - Not sure how you are getting on with this issues but I recently had the Engine Fault message and limp mode (but no power surge) and the fault codes were read. This pointed my indie to look at the intercooler hoses and, when running his hands around the pipe, found a load of muck. This pointed out where the hose had a hole. Two hoses replaced and problem solved. I know mine is the V8 and your is V6 so the location of the hose will be different but it was a 5 minute job to fix and cost £124. Much less than the cost of a new torque converter. So yes, get the codes read but I'd just check all the hoses you can get to for signs of muck.

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic56644.html Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #604917 Sat Sep 26 2020 7:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1