Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS V cayenne v8 v bmw V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

alscar

England 
RRS V cayenne v8 v bmw V8

Hi
Am looking to change my wifes current x5 3.0i to one of the above.
Clearly I will get stuffed on depreciation and perhaps more on the RRS but will the TDI V8 suffer less than the supercharged ?
Cayenne was great to drive but ugly, x5 just not sure but love the look of the RRS - have yet to drive.
Can the experts on here tell me that reliability and build quality matches the germans and ditto running costs - is the Diesal v8 the one to go for etc ?
All comments gratefully received.

Post #90588 Wed Mar 07 2007 9:48am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

You will get a biased view on this site. If I was buying from that choice of cars I would only buy the TDV8 RRS - leave the petrol models alone unless you're richer than the Sultan of Brunei. I would expect the Supercharged RRS will be hit big time when more of the TDV8's become available.

If you look through this forum all you tend to see are the problems with the RRS - this does not really give you a balanced view of the RRS as it tends to be the nature of forums to attract owners with problems. I'm sure if you go to a Cayenne forum or a X5 one you will find the same. After nearly 2 years of ownership I would say this is by far the best car I have ever owned and look forward to driving it every day. The little niggles that were appearing when the car was launched have nearly all been sorted out by now and the only thing that still crops up now and again is the quality of the finish of the paintwork, but again this depends on the colour you choose.

I agree the Cayenne is ugly and now a little dated. The X5 is new but still looks like the old one!

One last thing - the RRS is built in the UK! Buy British! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #90616 Wed Mar 07 2007 10:47am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

It's horses for courses, alscar.

You have to ask yourself what you want from your 4x4. The X5 and Cayenne will give a much more car-like drive, but a dynamic response equipped RRS handles very well on-road too.

We're obviously a little bit partisan on this forum, but this discussion has taken place a few times and the RRS is really a very compelling package. Excellent offroad, plenty of space, good performance, great cabin space etc. The RRS will suffer nowhere near the depreciation of the X5 and the Cayenne either - the TDV8 seems to be a fantastic engine and will certainly unsettle sales of the Supercharged version. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #90618 Wed Mar 07 2007 10:52am
Lateral5

Australia 
Re: RRS V cayenne v8 v bmw V8

alscar wrote:
Hi
Am looking to change my wifes current x5 3.0i to one of the above.
Clearly I will get stuffed on depreciation and perhaps more on the RRS but will the TDI V8 suffer less than the supercharged ?
Cayenne was great to drive but ugly, x5 just not sure but love the look of the RRS - have yet to drive.
Can the experts on here tell me that reliability and build quality matches the germans and ditto running costs - is the Diesal v8 the one to go for etc ?
All comments gratefully received.

Depreciation - Diesel is not too bad I believe and I don't think any worst than BMW. Thumbs Up

Looks - Personal, but I like the RRS the best. Thumbs Up

Reliability / Quality - Way behind the Germans I'm afraid. I have had BMW's and Audi's and not had anywhere near the probs. My TDV6 has spent about 28% of its life at the dealership getting warranty work done and it's still not right. Paintwork / finish is barely acceptable (blotches / pimples / dull areas). Big Cry RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #90642 Wed Mar 07 2007 11:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Above are all very balanced and honest views.

IMHO, I would definitely say to go for the RRS TDV8 - A safer financial bet than the S/C but the S/C model is much loved on this forum and sounds amazing. Better than any diesel ever could!

Pig Cayenne is an ugly brute but a great drive (I believe). Could you really be seen in one? Also, I believe it isn't as problem free as we possibly believe.

New X5 will be a very accomplished car but whilst much better looking than Porsche, still not going to win any beauty contests is it?

You are in a very similar position as I was just over 1 year ago.

Our shorlist was X5 3.0d Sport, ML320CDi Sport or RRS TDV6 HSE. Discounted Pig immediately.

In the end, it came down to the fact that we COULDN'T NOT buy the Sport - It was that simple.

As for reliability, in just over 1 year and nearly 18k miles the only thing that has gone wrong was a broken fuel cap which was repaired in 10 mins by local dealer! Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #90646 Wed Mar 07 2007 12:05pm
Lateral5

Australia 

Supertrotter wrote:
As for reliability, in just over 1 year and nearly 18k miles the only thing that has gone wrong was a broken fuel cap which was repaired in 10 mins by local dealer!

Ohhh I wish! Whistle RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #90648 Wed Mar 07 2007 12:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Lateral5 wrote:
Supertrotter wrote:
As for reliability, in just over 1 year and nearly 18k miles the only thing that has gone wrong was a broken fuel cap which was repaired in 10 mins by local dealer!

Ohhh I wish! Whistle

'Tis the truth! Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #90650 Wed Mar 07 2007 12:14pm
Lateral5

Australia 

Supertrotter wrote:
Lateral5 wrote:
Supertrotter wrote:

Ohhh I wish! Whistle

'Tis the truth!

I believe you ST.....I was merely wishing it was mine Big Cry RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #90652 Wed Mar 07 2007 12:21pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Lateral5 wrote:
Supertrotter wrote:
Lateral5 wrote:
Supertrotter wrote:

Ohhh I wish! Whistle

'Tis the truth!

I believe you ST.....I was merely wishing it was mine Big Cry

Laughing Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

Post #90654 Wed Mar 07 2007 12:21pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

A by product of this forum is that you tend to only hear about owners problems. I too suffered 100% reliability with mine in a year and 27k miles. LR are hardly famed for their reliability and build quality, but in fairness I expect if you looked at the %age of all RRSs that have had to go back to the dealer for anything but servicing, the figure would be a lot lower than you'd think Very Happy 

Post #90665 Wed Mar 07 2007 12:30pm
Lateral5

Australia 

shmoogle wrote:
A by product of this forum is that you tend to only hear about owners problems. I too suffered 100% reliability with mine in a year and 27k miles. LR are hardly famed for their reliability and build quality, but in fairness I expect if you looked at the %age of all RRSs that have had to go back to the dealer for anything but servicing, the figure would be a lot lower than you'd think Very Happy

Fair point......you also hear the good things! RRS canes the others in the mud and in looks dept Very Happy

I think the RRS comes 3rd in reliability/build quality. Just came home from the motor show and after checking the finishes on the Touareg, BMW, Porsche and RRS my rating is confirmed! RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #90682 Wed Mar 07 2007 12:56pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

I think most people here would agree with that! Thumbs Up 

Post #90684 Wed Mar 07 2007 1:01pm
Lateral5

Australia 

Oh and you may want to add in the Audi Q7. Checked that out as well....fugly front, bit cramped inside for such a big car, horrible carpet, nice finish and motor...pretend 4wd though. Liked the new TT though, very sexy. Shame they don't get some more horses in the motor though.....184kW just doesn't cut it in sport car territory anymore. RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #90688 Wed Mar 07 2007 1:06pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

This is a difficult one and everything's pretty much already been said by the fellas. In terms of reliability, the RRS is undoubtedly the worse car I've ever had in my 33 years of driving, back in the garage every other week (literally). However, some owners enjoy trouble-free motoring and you could be lucky like ST. I've had seven Porsches, all were extremely reliable, although never fancied a Cayenne. I've had several BMWs, including an X5, and found them all fabulously built and bomb-proof reliability.

After that, it's really a case of looks, appeal, cost, depreciation, suitability, drive and comfort, enconomy, performance and personal gut-feeling. Overall, if you're prepared to put up with a few niggles, I'd say go for the RRS TDV8. Good Luck! Thumbs Up MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #90710 Wed Mar 07 2007 1:41pm
Andy

United Kingdom 

X5- let's not go there
Cayenne- if you have loads of money to spend on fuel and don't mind about depreciation, then I'd consider it. Everyone on the road will think you're a tosser though, but I think that comes with all 4x4s these days thanks to the media
RRS- comes with more toys than the Cayenne, go for the TDV8 and it won't break the bank. 2002 Discovery Adventurer LE
1998 Freelander xedi
Ertl limited edition RRS model number 817

Post #90844 Wed Mar 07 2007 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>