RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Land Rover vehicle range
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Timf

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green
Land Rover vehicle range

Hi all, long time no see. I sold my second TDV8 last year, replacing it with a 65 plate Mariana Black RRS2 Dynamic with only 28k on the clock. Great car so far...
Now then, the real reason for this thread. Not being one to frequent main dealers, I found myself in Lookers Colchester yesterday and had look at all the LR models in one show room...including the new Defender (which was really the reason I went in). Just for fun here's my take on them, based on years of owning Discos and Sports (and even a 1956 Series One) and from first hand knowledge of my brother's Evoque and Disco Sport:
Range Rover: over £110k...lovely vehicle but as we know, only for the fairly seriously well off.
Sport: I reckon this is the best all round Range Rover model at the moment. Well balanced, large enough for most needs, quick and good looking.
Disco: this vehicle leaves me cold. I can't really see the point...it's not pretty and surely the Sport is nearly as good for boot space..even if it's not quite as large in that area, how often have you seen a Disco boot stuffed to the gunnels?
Disco Sport: a nice looker especially in Dynamic, and sensible for those wanting a more affordable 4x4
Evoque: not as pretty as the Disco Sport, so again I don't really get it but JLR say it's a perfect way to get people into the brand.
Defender: this was a real surprise to me as it's the first time I've seen it in the flesh. In photos I thought it looked ugly with the rear axle too far back, but wow I was taken with it. Inside and out it's a cracker, and obviously the best in the range for the more active user. But it certainly isn't for the traditional farmer (I'm a farmers son)..too much to break and spoil with dogs & muddy boots. The boot has storage beneath a cover so you can't wash out the back either.
Conclusions....I'm happy with the RR Sport but if I would deffo look at a Defender next, depending on how it drives.
But the shame is the lack of a basic British farmers/military/civil engineering utility vehicle - even the Grenadier looks as if it will be expensive - but I look forward to seeing it.
What's other folk's general view on the range?

Post #603223 Thu Aug 13 2020 10:06am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mostly agree. I don't really see the point of the D5 unless one needs 7 seats. It's not a looker, that's for sure. Interesting that you omitted the Velar. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #603228 Thu Aug 13 2020 11:19am
Timf

Ah, I missed the Velar. I must admit I haven't properly looked at one, but I guess it suits those looking for more of a 'car' version 4x4. I ought to have a proper look... What are the views on it?

Post #603229 Thu Aug 13 2020 11:30am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Arh I forgot they made so many !

Post #603233 Thu Aug 13 2020 12:15pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Coming from a D4, the boot is amazing easily filled in the RRS. A D4 can easily take 3 people and their dive gear with two tanks each, whereas the RRS is pretty full with two peoples gear, I even had to put the seats down to get an office chair in a box in, whereas Disco wouldn’t even notice it.

I went RRS because as you say D5 is just all out of proportion, not just the stupid tail gate.

New defender is definitely an option, I don’t get the squares in the windows, but we have one at LRE soon so will find out what it’s like. I’m expecting it to be brilliant off road just like all others with air suspension. Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #603234 Thu Aug 13 2020 12:29pm
richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Agree with most of your points on the current line up.

Personally, i can see the Discovery being canned in the medium term as the RRS (In entry level trim for similar price point) is more comfortable and the Defender is almost as practical and better off road. But many argue that the Disco is the only really comfortable 7 seater....is that enough to keep it though?

I recently took delivery of a new Defender to sit alongside our 2 RRS (SVR & HSE-D) and FFRR. It's an awesome car from a looks perspective (Subjective, i know) plus it handles really well off road.
My chief complaint, is that it weirdly, retains a lot of old defender characteristics and is not that fun to drive on the motorway. Above 50mph, its noisy (My expedition pack certainly doesn't help!) and rolls around quite a bit. So really, it's no competitor to the RRS....it's also not really as practical as it looks on the face of it.

Don't get me wrong, i love driving it around at 30mph, tootling through the local villages etc, But anyone genuinely considering a Defender as an RRS replacement may feel a bit let down in the real world.

For me, the RRS is the king of the range, though my FIL absolutely adores his Disco Sport! Bow down Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #603241 Thu Aug 13 2020 2:07pm
Timf

Hi Rich, that's interesting about your new Defender. I guess it will be a while until more of us have had a go in one to see what you mean and I will try one when I can. It's a strange market in that sector...on the one hand you have those who simply want utility so don't want all the bells & whistles, but on the other hand there are those who will want the Defender with all the mod cons. Confused

Post #603247 Thu Aug 13 2020 4:21pm
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 
Re: Land Rover vehicle range

Timf wrote:
But the shame is the lack of a basic British farmers/military/civil engineering utility vehicle

So far as I can see, British farmers and civil engineering utilities have switched to Japanese 4WD pickups because they are relatively cheap, very reliable and can go virtually anywhere.

Post #603299 Fri Aug 14 2020 9:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1