Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Special Programs Off then Engine System then Transmission
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Special Programs Off then Engine System then Transmission

Hi All

My baby has been good as gold - especially during lock down as it hasn't gone very far Very Happy

On the odd occasions I have taken it around the block, upon returning home, I have noticed it sometimes refused to go into Access Mode, where I like to keep it if I'm not planning to use it for a while. It comes up with Special Programs Unavailable (or similar).

Today, however, took a trip to Hastings for some fresh fish. On the way back it suddenly went into Very Limp Mode with "Engine System Fault" displayed. No other warnings or lights or anything. It would not do more than 40mph on the flat and there were some quite shallow hills that I thought I might not get to the top of. Really slow! Took an age to get to 30mph even on the flat. No smoke or any funny noises (but see below*) and fuel consumption seems normal. Incomplete display on the 4X4 screen, Just the basics but with no data.

I managed to make it home and turned it off. Switching back on and it says "Transmission Fault". I left it for a while and then tried it again. All perfectly normal as if nothing had ever happened. Haven't taken it out any great distance as Green Flag are due imminently.

Back to that noise *. Have noticed on recent short trips that there is a sort of low groaning from the engine bay somewhere (only just audible) as you start gentle/normal acceleration from junctions etc.. The noise gets lower in tone as the car increases in speed. I first thought turbo a but would have thought that it would be noisier the more wellie you gave it but this was not the case. Transmission???

Wouldn't it be nice of this turned out to be a bad earth somewhere or something like that - perhaps in view of the very dry weather, and lack of use....

Don't know! Perhaps its time to buy a IID BT??? Any thoughts? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #599511 Tue Jun 02 2020 2:12pm
Eaters

An update. Westboune Motors arrived; checked out the car and can find nothing wrong and no fault codes stored. Also the car is behaving itself still although I haven't been courageous enough to take it for a long run yet.

I can't believe that the 4X4 display, engine, transmission and stability control have all gone at once. Has to be a sensor or electrical gremlin somewhere. I suspect that the breakdown truck's code reader does not go into the depths that a pucker LR or IID one can. So, fingers crossed I can get it the 10 miles to my indie in the next day or so for them to stick their box of tricks onto it and then we'll see - I hope Shocked Confused Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #599513 Tue Jun 02 2020 4:08pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Battery ok? Alternator ok? Earth connections?

Refusing to go in to access height can be a sign of an exhaust valve misbehaving in the suspension compressor, especially if it goes to off road height when asked to go to access height. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #599514 Tue Jun 02 2020 4:48pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I used to get the Special Programmes unavailable when the battery was on its last legs. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #599524 Tue Jun 02 2020 7:15pm
jason-nike

England 

On our last Range Rover we lost all power and car went to limp mode, anything below 2500rpm it was sluggish above that it was fine, turned out it was the EGR valves which I blanked off and then it was fine, not sure if you can blank yours off tho.
As your in East Sussex I would try Landrover Man at East Hoathly (Thatched Garage), always had great, honest service from them, never had a problem with them, they would diagnose issue for you

Post #599525 Tue Jun 02 2020 7:47pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

My previous sport used to do that occasionally when left, simply the battery got low and a good run always sorted it.

Cheers
Col

Post #599527 Tue Jun 02 2020 10:06pm
erickwan

Malaysia 

It's an annual event.........usually brake light switch.

Post #599532 Wed Jun 03 2020 4:23am
1richard1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I go for the battery especially as its not been driven, give her a good run to charge it.

Post #599534 Wed Jun 03 2020 6:21am
Eaters

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions guys. Lets pick up a few of those so that others reading this later may find it useful.

Battery - is about a year old but I'm not ruling it out. I do have a CTEK which I use occasionally if it goes flat (which it has done at least once) including the rejuvenation programme
    Alternator - was new in November 2017 (23,000 miles ago) so hope its not that
    Bad Earth - well I keep thinking about that as its difficult to see all these faults happening at once. The very dry weather we've had in the South East may have had an effect - possible???
    Brake Light Switch - I'll order one today - absolutely no harm in replacing it just in case. Does anyone know if this is the right one? Its a quarter of the price of some others on eBay!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISC...ef8e67bc38

Thanks once again for all the thoughts. I might still take the risk and try and get it to my indie sometime today for a code read - if they've got time Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #599535 Wed Jun 03 2020 7:36am
Eaters

jason-nike wrote:

As your in East Sussex I would try Landrover Man at East Hoathly (Thatched Garage), always had great, honest service from them, never had a problem with them, they would diagnose issue for you

Yes jason-nike, I have used them before. In fact they installed my remote control FBH unit and did a good job. However I have since found Groombridges in Heathfield who are first class and also provide a free courtesy car whilst they play around with my car. Very convenient Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #599536 Wed Jun 03 2020 7:40am
Eaters

1richard1 wrote:
I go for the battery especially as its not been driven, give her a good run to charge it.

Good thought but the issue arose after a run to Hastings - a run of 26 miles and about 55 mins. Just trundling along on the outskirts of Hastings when "bong" warning noise and the suspension warning indicator lights up orange. I think no great worries as it'll probably go when I stop in Hastings and restart. Then it went to red. So I stopped to read up on it in the handbook. That says;
    "amber means a fault has been detected but vehicle an still be driven normally"

It goes on to say:
    "If the lamp flashed red, a serious suspension fault has been detected and the vehicle should be driven carefully until qualified assistance can be obtained"

The lamp didn't flash - it was a solid red. But I turned off the engine, waited a couple of minutes and then restarted and it was all back to normal. Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #599538 Wed Jun 03 2020 7:53am
erickwan

Malaysia 

The part where you switch off, re-start and everything is normal until the next hiccup is typical brake light switch.

Symptoms in my case:
"Special programs not available" message - suspension light flags on the dash
"Transmission fault. HDC not available"
Engine will not accelerate beyond 30mph
Switch off and on, everything goes back to normal.

Happens every 1-2 years.

Post #599540 Wed Jun 03 2020 8:17am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Eaters wrote:
Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions guys. Lets pick up a few of those so that others reading this later may find it useful.
[list]Battery - is about a year old but I'm not ruling it out. I do have a CTEK which I use occasionally if it goes flat (which it has done at least once) including the rejuvenation programme

If it's been flat a couple of times, properly flat, then it might have a weak cell. That will cause problems. I had a battery that lost a cell, my CTEK would run and say "it's charged", put a meter on it and it's 12.7V. Put a load on it and it dropped to <11V.

If you change the brake pedal switch, be careful. There is a procedure involved - do a search as there are some good write ups on here. It's an easy enough job but there's something you mustn't do before it's fitted. Can't remember what but a search will show it. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #599542 Wed Jun 03 2020 8:24am
Eaters

jason-nike wrote:
On our last Range Rover we lost all power and car went to limp mode, anything below 2500rpm it was sluggish above that it was fine, turned out it was the EGR valves which I blanked off and then it was fine, not sure if you can blank yours off tho.

Just another guilty admission - I actually drove straight past the Thatched Garage (Doh!!!). I was so anxious to nurse the car home that I totally blanked the thought of calling in there. And as you see if you watch the video below, the slight incline just after the Garage shows how bad limp mode really is. For those who haven't experienced it, you feel like the end of the world has come - well sort of. The "hill" is hardly one at all but you will see the way the speed just drops off. And there's nothing you can do about it. You're just willing the car to make it to the top!

&feature=youtu.be

Its not easy to see on the video but as I pass the Thatched Garage I am doing 38mph and by the end of the clip I am doing 33mph. And that's flat out! Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #599544 Wed Jun 03 2020 8:43am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Don't release the plunger before installing the switch, when you turn the switch to locate it that will release it.

Cheers
Col

Post #599546 Wed Jun 03 2020 8:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>