RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > New tyre issue....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tony666

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
New tyre issue....

Hi guys and girls, I had Wrangler Duratracs 255/55/19 tyres fitted on my 2005 RRS, 6mm tread all round and got a puncture near the sidewall on one tyre. I'd read that due to the 4WD system on the car, I should replace both tyres on the same axel (rear), so this is what I did. I know have a problem that when driving through twisty roads, or going around a large roundabout at moderate speed the car is generally 'uneasy' and the traction control light ands system kicks in at times.

The new tyres (rear axle) have 12mm tread depth, I'm thinking the difference in tread depth between front and rear is causing me the problem, and that I'll need to fit new tyres to the front, an expense I'd rather not have ideally!

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so how was it solved?

Post #606341 Fri Nov 06 2020 9:39pm
Tony666

Just to add, all tyre pressures are correct, however the speed rating on the new duratracs is 111Q, whereas the old ones are 111S?

Post #606352 Sat Nov 07 2020 9:50am
garrycol

Australia 

If you need to replace one tyre, there is not reason to replace the other tyre on the same axle as long as the new tyre is the same size. The difference in wear between the two is no issue as long as they are the same size. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #606354 Sat Nov 07 2020 10:15am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
as above ^
I would just have replaced the punctured tyre (or had a Major repair done Question ) only reason I would have replaced both if had a full size spare with an odd/low tread tyre, then put a pair of new on and the other 6mm then as the spare.

12mm rears and 6mm fronts should not give any issues, a closer look required, pressures on All (you have checked already) balancing, damage to rims, suspension bushes, change shoes to a lighter pair Question

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #606365 Sat Nov 07 2020 4:34pm
Tony666

Cheers for the replies but I think I should clarify a few points. The issues I have only appeared immediately after the new tyres on the rear were fitted, therefore very unlikely to be related to suspension faults. Additionaly, I've read a fair few comments regarding the sensitivity of cars with permanent 4wd to differences in rolling circumference (i.e. tyre size). Apparantly some manufacturers state no more than 4mm tread difference between tyres to avoid problems with the transmission? I'm not sure if this applies to the RRS as it seems to depend on the diff system used, apparantly it was a major problem on the old Freelander?

It could I suppose be a wheel balancing issue, or damage to the wheel from the tyre change so thanks for that one, I'll have a look, though I don't have any issues when driving a straight line?

The LR handbook states it's preferable to replace all four tyres, but as a minimum both on the same axle, but I am aware that sometimes manufacturers advice is a bit excessive!

Post #606372 Sat Nov 07 2020 5:19pm
1richard1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I was going to say have they balanced the wheels correctly.

Post #606379 Sat Nov 07 2020 7:47pm
Tony666

OK so I've been doing a bit more digging on this, and have found a bit of info on the Disco3 site. It seems that many people don't have a problem with differing tyres and tread depths, but some do. Seems prominent with tyres with aggresive tread profiles (i.e. the 12mm on the Duratracs), and seems to be on auto boxes only, the car thinking there is something wrong so the stability control kicks in.

I've decided to order 2 more new tyres (I'll keep the others as spares), and I'll post the result, good or bad, for the benefit of others who might have a similar issue.

Post #606393 Sun Nov 08 2020 1:12pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
well you can never have enough wheels and tyres in the garage Whistle

ISTR when we had a L320 which we ran the 255/55/19 GG AT's on, had to use a space saver once which I think was the 195/70/20 and had no issues, the space saver would be +9mm on the radius

gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #606409 Sun Nov 08 2020 4:34pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Could be a host of things causing t/c to kick in. I had an issue when going into r/h bends at speed (40/50) (A/B roads) caused t/c to kick in. Got everything checked out and we had it down to a steering sensor being faulty. Replaced that and it was much better but on sharp slow(er) speed bends it was still an issue and more so when towing. I learnt to put up with it. Roll forward 18 months and I had a sticky calliper causing vibration at speed (o/s), so got a Brembo calliper repair kit and we put that on along with new discs. Hey presto, issue went on the bends. So what was probably happening is that the n/s calliper was slightly sticking but not enough to normally be noticeable but as soon as under load caused the t/c to think it was losing traction.

I've got some re-mould mud tyres which are anything but equal and haven't had any issues with them except noise and vibration! Well, they're not designed for fast driving are they...

Post #606416 Sun Nov 08 2020 7:20pm
Tony666

OK so here's a bit of an update.......after a few days of low speed town driving, I took an 80 mile drive on A roads/Motorway. Weirdly, the car was better, felt a bit more stable and much less reoccurance of the stability control kicking in, only happened a couple of times on large roundabouts. Bear in mind at this point I'd changed nothing, I'm thinking the only possibilty was the car autobox adjusting automatically?

Regardless, today I had 2 new Duratrac tyres fitted to the front, to match the two new ones on the rear and it now feels like a different car. There is definately a huge improvement to handling, now feels solid again, but also to road noise, it is so much quieter on the new tyres.

Booked in for a service in a couple of weeks so time to get the alignment checked......got to look after the new tyres.....

Post #606500 Tue Nov 10 2020 10:53pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Always worth remembering that new tyres need to "bed in" and burn off the mould release agent from when they were made. New tyres often feel slightly greasy to the touch. Have that on a damp or cold road and the tyre will be a bit lacking in grip.

50 or more miles can be needed to clean up the tyre surface.

Stick new tyres on the rear and it will feel a bit odd in the right conditions. New ones on the front doesn't feel as odd because car's normally understeer a bit anyway so a bit more isn't always noticeable. A bit of slip at the rear is noticeable and gives that "loose" feeling. The DSC will pick that up because the system's accelerometers and wheel speed sensors will notice the increased rear slip in certain conditions. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #606503 Wed Nov 11 2020 12:17am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Tony666 wrote:
OK so here's a bit of an update.......
Booked in for a service in a couple of weeks so time to get the alignment checked......got to look after the new tyres.....

Thanks for the update it is good to get answers not just questions Laughing

Alignment is always a good idea, just had out FL2 done with the MOT and all correct, as RRSTDV8 mentions ^ just get a few miles on them before the check.

gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #606513 Wed Nov 11 2020 1:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1